Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Death, The Grim Reaper

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Hero & Item Ideas » Death, The Grim Reaper 15 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by JerfyBawss » November 8, 2014 8:45pm | Report
Death, The Grim Reaper

Neutral Intelligence
"I happen to be an agent of natural order. I also happen to be the last thing you see."

(Can't take credit for pic, just a wallpaper of the reaper courtesy of Google)
Lore

Cutting down heroes in their prime, ending lives when the time has come, and ensuring the mortality of all except the Gods it serves; Death is always present in battles, illness, and massacre. It roams the material plane and guides those whose time has come to the afterlife. Upon its roaming this plane, Death has come across quite the large number of endless slaughters pertaining to defending Ancients that belong to the civilizations of the Radiant and Dire. Although Death remains neutral, it still has its job of delivering those who must meet their end. With an odd sense of interest and honor, the Reaper puts itself incarnate on the battlefield to finish off those on the list of mortals required to die.

Roles: Disabler, Nuker, Support
Strength: 53 (16 + 1.5)
Agility: 68 (18 + 2)
Intelligence: 81 (19 + 2.5)

Base Health: 454
Base Mana: 257
Base Damage: 70
Base Armor: 0
Movement Speed: 290
BAT: 1.8 seconds
Range: 250 (Long melee)
Vision: 1800/800

Abilities

Q: Crippling Blight
Type: Target Unit
Marks a unit for Death, afflicting them with a curse that reduces their attack damage by 20%/30%/40%/50%, reduces their attack speed and movement speed by 8%/16%/24%/32%, and increases all incoming damage of any type from Death by 20% for a 8 second duration.
-800 range
-16/14/12/10 second cooldown
-95/110/125/140 mana cost

At the moment the skeletal digit pointed at him, his blood froze from head to feet; he knew this was the end.

W: Dirge
Type: Target Point (300/350/400/450 AoE)
Death fills the atmosphere with sorrow and weakens the enemy units in the area of effect, reducing their magic resistance by %15/%20/25%/%30 for a duration of 10 seconds.
-800 range
-25/23/21/19 second cooldown
-70/90/110/130 mana cost

The Grim Reaper's inevitable victory over life demoralizes the enemy.

E: Death's Door
Type: Toggle
When a hero dies and this ability is toggled on, Death enters an unbreakable channel of 3/2.5/2/1.5 which results in teleporting to the place of the recently dead hero. If 2 or more heroes were to be killed at the same time, Death teleports to the one closest to it.
-200 mana cost per teleport
-60/55/50/45 cooldown in between teleports

Omnipresent. Especially on the field of battle.

R: Reap
Type: Target Hero
A bell tolls as the Grim Reaper strikes at a hero with a life-ending haymaker. This attack deals magic damage equal to the number of seconds the target has been alive multiplied by 1/1.25/1.5. Base damage derived from the length of the target's current life is capped at 800/1000/1200. Damages enemies 10%/15%/20% of the main damage within 200 radius of the main target, if the main target is hit.
-600 range (when target is in casting range, there is a delay before the instance of damage. Moving outside of 800 range will dodge the instance of damage)
-220/200/180 second cooldown
-350/425/500 mana cost
-2 second delay before skill hits
-Can be dodged by blink dagger, eul's, phase shift, force staff, etc.
-W/Aghanim's Scepter: 1.5/1.75/2 damage multiplier and this ability pierces magic immunity

Quick and painless. Clemency at its finest.

My 2nd hero idea. I wanted to make a hero to counter hard carries and Death does the trick! Death also seems to be a good hero for turning around games in close to GG moments.

Please comment any constructive criticism!

EDIT: Lots of OP criticism! I get it! I nerf! I nerf! Hopefully Death is up to par now. Thanks for all of the ideas!

JerfyBawss

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » November 8, 2014 9:39pm | Report
no ultimate given.

Second skill is OP,effectively destroying a particular lane single handedly.

third skill is Ultra-OP. It's like there are 5 Necrophos's in your team.

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by JerfyBawss » November 8, 2014 9:40pm | Report
Will fix! Still working on it.

JerfyBawss

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by MrLocket » November 9, 2014 12:10am | Report
JerfyBawss wrote:

Base Attacks/Second: .5

Vision: 1800/1200

BAT : 0.5 seconds? So starting from level 1 he can attack twice per second?
And can you explain that why would he gain the 1200 night vision advantage?

First skill seems to be ok but don't you think the mana cost is a bit too cheap? Because it's a reliable slow with a long casting range (800).

JerfyBawss wrote:

W: Grim Presence
Type: Passive
The places where the Reaper treads are left barren and extracted of all jubilance. Creeps and heroes killed in an 500/600/700/800 area around Death reward 10%/15%/20%/25% less gold and 7%/11%/15%/19% less experience.
-Affects neutral creeps, the creeps of your team, and allied heroes
-Can be purged off of heroes and creeps

Quite OP, because it allows you to do the deny job (delay opposite team exp and gold gain) by just sitting on the lane, and it doesn't push the lane.

And... what is "Can be purged off of heroes and creeps"? Mind explain further? Because aura effect will always apply continuously to all proper targets within the AoE, which means once you purge off the... debuff(?) and the "debuff" will reapply again.

JerfyBawss wrote:

E: Six-Feet Under
Type: Passive
Death's influence on trips to the afterlife grant your team a -5/-7/-9/-11 respawn time for your team and a +5/+7/+9/+11 respawn time for your enemies.
-Skill is inactive when Death is respawning

A little detour past Hell's scenic lakes of lava wouldn't hurt.

Just.. no, too punishing, and a little bit confusing, let say you are killed and then one of your allied hero are killed too. Your respawn timer is 30 seconds, and your partner's is 35 seconds, since you are dead so the shorter-respawn-timer-effect will not be applied. Then, you respawned, at that moment your partner's timer is now 0:05, and this skill will -11 from his respawn timer, will it respawn immediately or same as usual? And also, if you are killed, will the already-dead-enemy-hero gets to respawn immediately if their timer is lesser than 11 seconds? You need to explain further.

JerfyBawss wrote:

R: Reap
Type: Target Hero
A bell tolls as the Grim Reaper strikes at a hero with a life-ending haymaker. This attack deals magic damage equal to the number of seconds the target has been alive multiplied by 1.5/2/2.5.
-400 range
-150 second cooldown
-250/350/450 mana cost
-.6 second delay before skill hits
-Can be dodged by blink dagger
-W/Aghanim's Scepter: 2/2.5/3 damage multiplier + the damage from this attack is now pure damage

Quick and painless. Clemency at its finest.

Lina and Lion are going to cry after seeing this... Is the timer counted from the beginning of the game or from last respawn time? It always ensure a guaranteed kill on any snowballing heroes, and completely annihilate the fun of teamworking together, because you can single-handedly destroy a fat hero with just a click. Why? Let's say your target is alive for 10 minutes, level 1 Reap will deal 900 magical damage, if you have Aghanim's Scepter, it will deal 1200 pure damage!

Example, enemy team's Anti-Mage has been afk-farming for 20 minutes, and then comes online with a Battle Fury, Vladmir's Offering and a Yasha. When he blink onto you and BANG, he is dead because you simply cast a level 2 Reap with aghanim's upgrade which deal 20x60x2.5= 3000 as pure damage!

I'm sorry but this skill is so OP that it's like a midas with 150 seconds cooldown which can be casted on enemy heroes! If you repeatedly cast on all enemy heroes in such order : A->B->C->D->E, it will do 150x3x4=1800 pure damage every time.

I strongly recommend delay casting time to at least 2 seconds, increase the cooldown, increase the mana cost, disjoint-able, and also prevent the target moving away from you so he can't escape your pitiful 400 casting range easily. ( Items like Force Staff, Eul's Scepter of Divinity can still be used, and is very rare that carry will buy these item and perfectly fits the role of this hero. )
My face -> ( / *3*)/

MrLocket

Notable (16)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » November 9, 2014 12:54am | Report
MrLocket wrote:

BAT : 0.5 seconds? So starting from level 1 he can attack twice per second?
And can you explain that why would he gain the 1200 night vision advantage?

First skill seems to be ok but don't you think the mana cost is a bit too cheap? Because it's a reliable slow with a long casting range (800).

Quite OP, because it allows you to do the deny job (delay opposite team exp and gold gain) by just sitting on the lane, and it doesn't push the lane.

And... what is "Can be purged off of heroes and creeps"? Mind explain further? Because aura effect will always apply continuously to all proper targets within the AoE, which means once you purge off the... debuff(?) and the "debuff" will reapply again.

Just.. no, too punishing, and a little bit confusing, let say you are killed and then one of your allied hero are killed too. Your respawn timer is 30 seconds, and your partner's is 35 seconds, since you are dead so the shorter-respawn-timer-effect will not be applied. Then, you respawned, at that moment your partner's timer is now 0:05, and this skill will -11 from his respawn timer, will it respawn immediately or same as usual? And also, if you are killed, will the already-dead-enemy-hero gets to respawn immediately if their timer is lesser than 11 seconds? You need to explain further.

Lina and Lion are going to cry after seeing this... Is the timer counted from the beginning of the game or from last respawn time? It always ensure a guaranteed kill on any snowballing heroes, and completely annihilate the fun of teamworking together, because you can single-handedly destroy a fat hero with just a click. Why? Let's say your target is alive for 10 minutes, level 1 Reap will deal 900 magical damage, if you have Aghanim's Scepter, it will deal 1200 pure damage!

Example, enemy team's Anti-Mage has been afk-farming for 20 minutes, and then comes online with a Battle Fury, Vladmir's Offering and a Yasha. When he blink onto you and BANG, he is dead because you simply cast a level 2 Reap with aghanim's upgrade which deal 20x60x2.5= 3000 as pure damage!

I'm sorry but this skill is so OP that it's like a midas with 150 seconds cooldown which can be casted on enemy heroes! If you repeatedly cast on all enemy heroes in such order : A->B->C->D->E, it will do 150x3x4=1800 pure damage every time.

I strongly recommend delay casting time to at least 2 seconds, increase the cooldown, increase the mana cost, disjoint-able, and also prevent the target moving away from you so he can't escape your pitiful 400 casting range easily. ( Items like Force Staff, Eul's Scepter of Divinity can still be used, and is very rare that carry will buy these item and perfectly fits the role of this hero. )

Such observations

Join us
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ThreadOfFate » November 9, 2014 2:21am | Report
And I thought MY reaper was broken (shameless advertising alert).

This guy's BAT is ridiculous right off the bat (I made a funny.) Two attacks per second? At the start? With no items? I'd like to take this moment to say...RIP to anyone who lanes against him. With that alone, this guy could become a carry. Pair this guy with any stunning support (e.g Shadow Shaman) and you will tear anyone down in no time.

This is also not counting the ultimate.
Oh
God
Why?
My referenced hero's ult was mostly an instakill, correct, but this takes no effort. You just click on someone who's been alive for anything over 13 minutes and... Put it this way:

ThreadOfFate

Notable (14)
Steam: TTT.Pixelmancer
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » November 9, 2014 2:45am | Report
@Thread What's the name of the picture? (Serious question. Do answer)
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ThreadOfFate » November 9, 2014 5:00am | Report
Unscathed wrote:

@Thread What's the name of the picture? (Serious question. Do answer)

Here's the link. IDK the name
The explosion

ThreadOfFate

Notable (14)
Steam: TTT.Pixelmancer
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by JerfyBawss » November 9, 2014 6:21am | Report
I just nerfed this guy a lot and added a third active. Thanks for all of the ideas.

JerfyBawss

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by MrLocket » November 9, 2014 7:06am | Report
In case you don't know average BAT, it's 1.5~1.7 seconds between every hit.

I can see how this hero works now, those skill are now work well together, but still I think it needs some improvement and rework...

W is now kinda Pit of Malice, and a little OP due to low mana cost and low cooldown, and because of that he can deny every allied creep waves, which is still very OP.

About the R, actually I have an idea. Make it an AoE effect with 2 seconds launch time (or 3 seconds), the skill effect is kinda horizontal version of Reaper's Scythe. Depends on how long your main target has survived, the total damage will be spread evenly on all enemy heroes within the AoE. Maximum damage on a unit is capped on 400/800/1200. The cooldown and the early mana cost is a bit too harsh, make it 220/200/180 or around it will be much acceptable, mana cost at 300/500/700.

Scepter upgrades : During R's launch time, the Reaper gain magic immunity (still can be bashed), either increases damage ratio or becomes pure damage ( having both together is a bit too OP ), and maybe increases the damage cap.

edit : After a few of calculating, I find that 2/6/10 damage ratio has better scaling with game if those damage are meant to be spread evenly by assuming that there are 3(early game)/4(mid game)/5(late game) enemy heroes in most teamfights and main target has been survived for 10 minutes.
My face -> ( / *3*)/

MrLocket

Notable (16)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved