Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Which is better?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Which is better? 24 posts - page 2 of 3
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by L0bstz0r » January 8, 2015 6:34am | Report
Xyrus wrote:

No, it's actually quite true.

i get, that the more experience you have with a certain hero yourself, the better you know how to play against it. Thing is, that you still can evolve your playstyle around said hero, just by observing / knowing his abilities instead of having to master it yourself.

Also the assumption, that your positioning or decision making is worse if you only play one hero seems quite arbitrary to me. Those kind of "skills" come with overall playtime and not via playtime/hero.
Even if devided into 2 scenarios, where you have played a total of 30 games with a single hero and 10/10/10 with 3 heroes: your positioning and decisionmaking will still suck equally.

L0bstz0r

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: L0bstz0r
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Nubtrain » January 8, 2015 6:36am | Report
If you really want to get better then master some heroes while dabbling in other heroes every now and again. What's more important in my opinion is to build up your foundations. If you have a strong foundation to base your mechanics on whatever hero, like game-sense, understanding picks, remembering cooldowns, etc then you'll have little problems playing most, if not all heroes at a decent level. If you have such strong foundations to base your skills on, you'll learn that much faster.

Xyrus wrote:

Speaking of which...Nubtrain, WHERE'S MY RAMPAGE?!!! >8{D

o.o?

Nubtrain
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (58)
Steam: Nubtrain
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by SuperKamiGuru2.0 » January 8, 2015 7:19am | Report
Master all heroes :D

SuperKamiGuru2.0

Steam: TheFabulousHunter
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » January 8, 2015 3:59pm | Report
L0bstz0r wrote:

Also the assumption, that your positioning or decision making is worse if you only play one hero seems quite arbitrary to me. Those kind of "skills" come with overall playtime and not via playtime/hero.
Even if devided into 2 scenarios, where you have played a total of 30 games with a single hero and 10/10/10 with 3 heroes: your positioning and decision making will still suck equally.

no it wouldnt. that is actually categorically incorrect.

play 100 games as say ... faceless void.

or play

10 games as wind
10 as troll
10 as razor
10 as ogre
10 as cent
10 as puck
60 games in total so 40 games less then the 100

you would be better then the guy that has played 100 games NOT as faceless void but in totality / in dota.

things that you learn as a fv. positioning decision making and the like.

are completely different from what you would learn as a wind or a ta or a razor.

the decision making the positioning are ALL different.

you learn by heart the range of skills the cast times the back swing animation the move speed the cooldowns the style. i found myself facing a slark the other day and i knew of by heart when he would leap and i knew when to move and why and i knew his skill build just due to a quick glance at him.he went to jump and i could SEE him about to do it a good second before hand no animation just the innate knowledge of him.

then i guess if that doesnt explain it ill just say this.

missile speed

point made.

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by L0bstz0r » January 8, 2015 6:24pm | Report
firstly, i want to point out that i am NOT saying, that the person playing only 1 hero has BETTER positioning / decision making than the one playing a wider hero pool....i am saying that they both will have about equal equal knowledge of those things.

secondly, learning these dota 2 "soft skills" (hate to use that word btw) - as about anything you have to learn - is more about observation and copying than figuring it out yourself. The FV player in your scenario will also learn what supports, midlaners etc.etc. should and shouldnt do just by observing his own or even the enemy team. He himself might have had a few games were he literally 2-shoted the enemy support players after 50 minutes of farming.

lastly.....what point are yout trying to make by saying "missile speed"?.

L0bstz0r

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by BKvoiceover » January 8, 2015 6:47pm | Report
If you're just starting out the game I definitely think that becoming good at just a few heroes is a great way to learn game mechanics and the like. If you are looking to play the game for a long period of time I assure you will play all the heroes in the game within 2 years without even noticing.

But learning all 112 heroes in Dota takes quite a bit of time and commitment to do. Personally I would find a certain role that you like to play (Carry, Mid, Support, etc...), play some bot matches with heroes that fit those roles, and become comfortable with them.

Take this as you will,

-BK

BKvoiceover

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: BKvoiceoverGames
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » January 8, 2015 7:09pm | Report
L0bstz0r wrote:

firstly, i want to point out that i am NOT saying, that the person playing only 1 hero has BETTER positioning / decision making than the one playing a wider hero pool....i am saying that they both will have about equal equal knowledge of those things.

No they wont. they actually wont at all. seriously. i really dont want to get into a "thing " here but they 100% wont have the same amount of knowledge.... that is a certainty. categorically. 100% without a doubt, beyond any point of argument or discussion. the person who has played the wider pool will have a larger knowledge base and know more by FAR then the one that doesn't.

L0bstz0r wrote:

secondly, learning these dota 2 "soft skills" (hate to use that word btw) - as about anything you have to learn - is more about observation and copying than figuring it out yourself.

.... your saying that you learn more in dota 2 by observing then playing? yes when it comes to guide and builds and strategies then yes your right reading and discussing them imbues information quicker.BUT what about juke spots positioning game knowledge in relation to cooldowns timing movement, pathing predictions and a variety of other skills ... you learn these by playing ... a lot.

the conscious knowledge "hes going to go there because thats what i would do" you cant observe that you cant read that.

L0bstz0r wrote:

The FV player in your scenario will also learn what supports, midlaners etc.etc. should and shouldnt do just by observing his own or even the enemy team. He himself might have had a few games were he literally 2-shoted the enemy support players after 50 minutes of farming.

what? really? so in 100 games he will know when to sacrifice himself and when not too? when to double pull? when to only single pull cause you want to push? how to aggro the line to get good lane equilibrium for your carry? when to gank? when to smoke? when to stack ? when to harass? when to rotate? when to go for runes? when to push your midlane so the enemy player either lets them damage his tower or go for a rune? when to bait? when to run? when to initiate? when to fight? where the enemy will most likely gank from? how to position yourself in the fog? how to move when attacking? how to position yourself in fights? how to position yourself when ganking? and thats just a fraction of what you learn playing the variety of roles.

L0bstz0r wrote:

lastly.....what point are yout trying to make by saying "missile speed"?.

missile speed is something you cant learn by observing, its not something you learn through reading about it? "wind has a 480 missle speed" (example dont actually know the speed) its not something you can know by playing against. it is something that you have to experience from the same side. you have to be controlling the hero. you have to timing the travel duration you have to know the hero innately so that when you do play against them you dont have to think about it you just KNOW how long it will take to hit you. the same goes for skills

storm hammer
wraithfire blast
cask

you can play 100 games as FV and vs a wind 3 maybe 5 times max? can you say you will be able to correctly time her shackle shot? and position yourself correctly? can you say you will know when she will power shot?

missile speed is something that you have to learn by playing with the hero. just remmeber that time you playd a hero for the first time and tried to last hit with them? pretty annoying yea? Razor? QoP? play aginst them 100 times then pick that hero and play it for the first time and try to last hit with them ... i bet you, wyou will miss the first creep wave and then you will get better then the next game? oh wait i still miss ls ...

missile speed - dotka knowledge indicator mark V.II

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by L0bstz0r » January 8, 2015 8:00pm | Report
Smuggels wrote:

No they wont. they actually wont at all. seriously. i really dont want to get into a "thing " here but they 100% wont have the same amount of knowledge.... that is a certainty. categorically. 100% without a doubt, beyond any point of argument or discussion. the person who has played the wider pool will have a larger knowledge base and know more by FAR then the one that doesn't.

I dont want to get into a "thing" as well and i am not trying to start a "violent" argument here. I just want to discuss this matter on a serious and mannered level :3 ...nothing wrong with that, right?
And i still stand by my word, for reasons i will explain shortly.

Smuggels wrote:

.... your saying that you learn more in dota 2 by observing then playing? yes when it comes to guide and builds and strategies then yes your right reading and discussing them imbues information quicker.BUT what about juke spots positioning game knowledge in relation to cooldowns timing movement, pathing predictions and a variety of other skills ... you learn these by playing ... a lot.

I am talking - since is the new player section - about completely ...well....new players. How many games does it actually take a player, who has just played his first game, to be even bothered with juking and "intermediate" aspects of the game. If you are not comfortable with your hero yet, there really is no point in caring about those things at all. Thats why (in my opinion) its completely irrelevant what you are playing in even your first ~200-300 games. Those are the games were you are actually learning, how to not effing feed and be a liability to your own team. How to choose your lane; Harrassing; always having an eye on the minimap; Items; generall mechanics (like evasion, invisibility, vision etc.); map routes, etc.etc. At this point literally no one can be bothered to care about juking, cooldown timing or really anthing more "advanced".

Smuggels wrote:

what? really? so in 100 games he will know when to sacrifice himself and when not too? when to double pull? when to only single pull cause you want to push? how to aggro the line to get good lane equilibrium for your carry? when to gank? when to smoke? when to stack ? when to harass? when to rotate? when to go for runes? when to push your midlane so the enemy player either lets them damage his tower or go for a rune? when to bait? when to run? when to initiate? when to fight? where the enemy will most likely gank from? how to position yourself in the fog? how to move when attacking? how to position yourself in fights? how to position yourself when ganking? and thats just a fraction of what you learn playing the variety of roles.

Basically what i said above. Do you think a guy who has played ~20 games as a support (just to refer to the scenario in the earlier posts), will know these kind of things? At this point he might actually do it, because he is told to do so. He actually might know HOW to do those things by now, but not WHY. And thats exactly the problem. Creep equilibrium for instance is a rather complex matter and i for once can not believe, that a new player - who might have played support for 20 games so far - knows how to deal with that on his own.

Smuggels wrote:

missile speed is something you cant learn by observing, its not something you learn through reading about it? "wind has a 480 missle speed" (example dont actually know the speed) its not something you can know by playing against. it is something that you have to experience from the same side. you have to be controlling the hero. you have to timing the travel duration you have to know the hero innately so that when you do play against them you dont have to think about it you just KNOW how long it will take to hit you. the same goes for skills

storm hammer
wraithfire blast
cask

you can play 100 games as FV and vs a wind 3 maybe 5 times max? can you say you will be able to correctly time her shackle shot? and position yourself correctly? can you say you will know when she will power shot?

missile speed is something that you have to learn by playing with the hero. just remmeber that time you playd a hero for the first time and tried to last hit with them? pretty annoying yea? Razor? QoP? play aginst them 100 times then pick that hero and play it for the first time and try to last hit with them ... i bet you, wyou will miss the first creep wave and then you will get better then the next game? oh wait i still miss ls ...

missile speed - dotka knowledge indicator mark V.II

Point for you. Altho i still have to point out, that missile speed is also something new players cant deal with. I wouldnt trust a noob to hit a Shackle Shot, even when playing Windranger for the 10th time. The whole "you have to play it, to know it" argument for spells like Meat Hook or the break distance for Pucks Dream Coil is also kinda fishy to me. I for instance havent played either of those 2 heroes more that 20 times each and i still can estimate when i am in trouble and when i am not.

Basically what i am saying is, that it doesnt matter what so ever what you play for the first ~200 games, since you will suck anyway and that the only thing you will actualy improve on, are the fundamental, elementary BASICS.

L0bstz0r

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » January 8, 2015 8:28pm | Report
L0bstz0r wrote:

it *doesn't matter what so ever what you play for the first ~200 games, since you will suck anyway and that the only thing you will *actually improve on, are the fundamental, elementary BASICS.

point accepted.

i held the impression this was more for the intermediate area. but if he is just starting out i would still advise you to play as many heroes as possible. knowing the basics is easier when you have multiple points of reference.

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » January 8, 2015 9:03pm | Report
Play All Pick and Random people, it's the fastest way to learn

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved