Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

need help. how to decide what items do i get first?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » need help. how to decide what items do i get first? 3 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by taktaktak » January 19, 2014 10:32am | Report
hello,

i have one big problem with this game, ive played around 200 matches but i still dont know what items to get first listed in the guides.

i lose a lot games because of bad decision making i think.

for example i play mid as stormspirit, there is a guide which suggest you to get

bloodstone, orchid, scythe of the vys and linkens sphere

so, what do i usually rush there first ?!

its the same with every hero i think, i just dont know which expensive item to get first.

is there a guide for that maybe?

taktaktak

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » January 19, 2014 11:12am | Report
Yeah, realising which Item to get 1st is important and it takes time to learn when to get which First Item for each situation. Oddly enough, there's a recent post that should help a bit.

http://www.dotafire.com/dota-2/forum/general/storm-spirit-tips-4741?page=1

As for Storm Spirit' 1st Item, try looking at this this way:-

You should probably get an Orchid Malevolence 1st, or a Bloodstone if Orchid isn't needed.

Orchid Malevolence Silences Heroes for 5 seconds, this prevents them from using Escape Mechanisms, but teh main reason to get it is the Damage Amplification. 30% of ALL the Damage they took while Silenced gets done to them when the Silence wears off, e.g. you did 500 Damage to them, they take another 150 when the Silence wears off. Therefore it's the best Item to increase your Damage Output, hence why it's usually built 1st by good Storm Spirit Players.

Pro Tip: You can use Orchid Malevolence while using your Ult

But what if you don't need more Damage, AND the Silence isn't needed either? then consider...

... Bloodstone. If you have no trouble getting constant Kills, why not take advantage of it? You probably shouldn't build this if you went Orchid, but as a 1st Item, this can let you Snowball quite Hard if you have no trouble Ganking with no other Core Items. This is a good Item if you're punishing the other Team for not having any way to deal with you early on.

As for Linken's Sphere, it can make a suitable 2nd Item, but a Black King Bar is often better. Ask yourself, "am I getting focused by abilities that can get me Killed even if I have a Black King Bar?". Abilities like Doom, Fiend's Grip, etc. can be very troublesome for you, and depending on how many Stuns there are on the other Team, you may not have a chance to Silence them with Orchid Malevolence as you may need to Silence someone else, and if they go through Black King Bar, that isn't going to help either.

Finally, I've tried Scythe of Vyse as a 1st Item on a few Heroes, and it's too slow to build to be any good early on. It;s always great on Storm Spirit after he's picked up his Orchid Malevolence or Bloodstone though. It's an Item you're going to want eventually, just make sure you have everything else that you need first, e.g. Linken's Sphere/ Black King Bar. It's an awesome 2nd/3rd Item.

If you still want more Items after your Scythe of Vyse, a Shiva's Guard can be useful in Teamfights too. If teh game goes any later than that, you'll probably want to buy Boots of Travel so you can Teleport to your Creep Wave after Teamfights to Push/Gank as soon as possible.

Speaking of Boots, I recommend starting with Power Treads as you can switch them to Agility to regain more HP and Mana from your Bottle. Arcane Boots are probably better if you're 100% sure you're going to build a Bloodstone 1st, but this won't be the case more often than not.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by taktaktak » January 19, 2014 1:43pm | Report
wow thanks for the long post, will read trough it now :)

taktaktak

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved