Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Mechanics of Silence

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Mechanics of Silence 14 posts - page 2 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Zerosaviour » April 23, 2014 2:15pm | Report
DzikaPanda wrote:

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't go through magic immunity if you activate BKB before it.

If the other team pops their BKB's early; then it's still a win. Won't even have to throw the ulty. If they don't; then they won't be able to due to Disruptor Ult.

So it's a damned if you do. Damned if you don't scenario.

Zerosaviour

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » April 23, 2014 4:10pm | Report
There are allsorts of odd cases with silences, magic immunity and what overrides what. Sometimes you need to know the specific matchup of powers to see what works over what. The general rule is that silences stop heroes from directly casting new abilities (not item actives), but doesn't tend to stop ones they've already used (unless they're channelled). Passives sometimes still work, but not in all cases.

For example, using Silence on a Bounty Hunter who has just used Wind Walk won't make him visible (the effect has already taken), but would work against a Riki. Strangely, Moonlight Shadow can be temporarily broken by using Silence on Mirana, even if she's already cast it.

There's allsorts of interactions with magic immunity too - for example spells like Enfeeble can't be cast on magic immune heroes (afaik), but their effect will still hold if they're cast and then the hero becomes magic immune. Generally spells that go through magic immunity like Reverse Polarity, Black Hole and Fiend's Grip do the disable effect, but the damage is blocked. There's even weird exceptions like Echo Slam where part of the damage goes through, but part of it is blocked.

Damage Types
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by yoda31 » April 23, 2014 7:42pm | Report
What about Riki's cloud. I'm quite sure that's a mute. These days, that cloud is more annoying than his invis

yoda31

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » April 24, 2014 1:25am | Report
yoda31 wrote:

What about Riki's cloud. I'm quite sure that's a mute. These days, that cloud is more annoying than his invis

Why would it be a mute? It just stops you from casting spells. You can still use force staff/blademail and passives exetera.
The slow and blind are just added effects that have nothing to do with mutes.
Aghanim disruptor ultimate is NOT a mute, its just a silence that stops items.
Mutes stop passives like lifesteal evasion crit and all that stuff.
There are only 2 mutes. Doom and Duel

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Silence

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved