Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

How to proceed as a new player

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » How to proceed as a new player 16 posts - page 2 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by samukobo » December 16, 2013 8:59pm | Report
sal69 wrote:

Any suggestions on what competitive matches to watch?

Watch teams that have very skilled supports (since that's what you seem to plan on doing as a general role). I would recommend teams in which the supports can be really focused upon such as Alliance (Akke and EGM are really good), DK if you want Asian teams, speed gaming maybe?

Rox.Kis is on a roll at starladder right now, if you want some underrated teams.

Overall any tier 1 team is ok.

(Vici Gaming, Speed Gaming, TongFu, DK, iG, Na'Vi, Alliance, Fnatic - I may be missing some teams.)
Quoted:

ヽ༼ຈلຈ༽ノ

samukobo
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by sal69 » December 17, 2013 6:33am | Report
thx for the hints guys!

I am 7 Hero's short of completing my quest. Then its time to pick one to prepare for pubs.
Should i focus on only one hero in the beginning or is this a bad idea?

sal69

Steam: sal
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by commandojimbob » December 17, 2013 7:01am | Report
It is not as easy as saying "I will play this hero for the next 10 games" because you have to react to both your team and the opposition. So I suggest you read up on the type of roles and perhaps pick 1 hero from each (based on what you have discovered) so at least you can pick from a small pool intelligently for each game - I still do this.

Oh and BTW - a good youtube channel to watch is "RainJarGaming" - he knows his stuff, records and commentates full games and talks through the good / bad bits of his and other plays. He also records games that are "randomise engage" where he gets a random hero and a random item set he must stick too - which is great as he will talk through how the items are good / bad for the hero, which is a major part of learning the game.

commandojimbob

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » December 17, 2013 8:33am | Report
I think it's better to focus on a couple Heroes - maybe 4 or 5 - and pick one depending on the situation: for example, Lion is a great support when you lack disables but Lich is better teamfight-wise and gives more safety to hard carries; Crystal Maiden is also good and you might have to pick her when your team needs mana (thanks to her passive) and you have a laning partner that can easily kill dlsabled enemies (Gyrocopter, Lifestealer, Chaos Knight...). They also have pretty much the same item build: Animal Courier, Tranquil Boots, Mekansm and, every time you can buy them, Observer Wards. You're expected to complete the Meka in ~25 minutes if costantly warding and going for Tranquils.

Same thing if you want to play carries, but the item builds and amount of farm required may vary: that's why you should focus on supporting for a few matches (at least) and have someone that can suggest you those carries that are strong with little items.

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by sal69 » December 19, 2013 8:21am | Report
I finished my marathon yesterday evening. Played another bot-game as lion for jumping into my first game vs. players. Went ok, my Team won in the End and i endet up with 5 kills, 10 death and 18 assists as Lion support. Had a lot of fun and also very nice team mates + enemies. No flaming, laming or name calling.
I will continue playing lion for some more games because watching some videos with him gave me some new ideas and he seems to be a lot of fun and relatively easy to handle.

sal69

Steam: sal
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Happygilman » December 30, 2013 11:07am | Report
I watch purge (http://www.youtube.com/user/PurgeGamers) to try to see some reasoning behind item/skill choices. I dont follow what he says religiously but it helps me expand my mindset, which imo is one of the biggest thing thats needed in dota...the understanding of fluid builds and not just using the same items and skills every time.

Happygilman

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved