Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Help with Luna?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Help with Luna? 23 posts - page 1 of 3
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Bunkansee » July 15, 2014 6:09am | Report
I have been playing some Luna recently and I really like her. But I've not quite got the hang of what to buy or how to play her effectively. I could read I guide I know, but I wanted to get everyone's help on the matter. I won two game this-morning and that brings my win rate back up to 25% I believe (pro I know).

So any help would be handy, thanks!

Bunkansee
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (32)
Steam: Bunkansee
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » July 15, 2014 7:28am | Report
Okay, lets start with Items. How far ahead do you see the match going?

Is either looking to Push hard and fast/fight early on? (i.e. GG before 20:00)

Very rare in Pubs, but in these cases, you want to ignore any Farming Items and rush a Drum of Endurance or Ring of Aquila (if someone else is building the Drum) and a Magic Stick/ Magic Wand, then go straight into your Core Items -> Power Treads, Black King Bar and Manta Style.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/733162935

My latest (still old ._. ) and greatest Luna game, a very hard and fast Pushing Game, very early on. Luna may well be strongest in hte Mid-Game, but you can easily dominate the Early-Game with her too. <}3

Not much to say really, we pressured, we Killed and then we Pushed, it was easy since there was nothing that could stand up to us early on since all of their Heroes needed Farm and Levels to be effective, our Supports did not however 8{3 . It was a very easy game, mostly due to a difference in skill levels (No surprise that the 5 Carry Team were all n00bs huh? 8{3 ).

Is the game going to be a Farm-fest for the 1st 10-15 minutes?

This is quite likely in Pubs, unless the other Team has a good Snowballing Hero in Mid-Lane. If you feel like you're going to be 2 vs 2 with only an occasional Gank from Mid during the Early Game, then consider Farming a Hand of Midas or, alternatively, a Helm of the Dominator (more on HoTD later).

Does the game look like it's going Late?

How you approach this depends on 1 thing, do you have the advantage Late Game? If you do, make sure you get plenty of Farm (it helps if a Support is willing to Stack Jungle Creeps for you), if you feel it's a good idea to get an HoTD, then Stack Ancients with a (Pink) Satyr while you're at it. Farm up well and Press your advantage once you have it.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/665987276

This is one example. Some people will tell you that a Faceless Void outcarries a Luna. These people just aren't as good at Luna as I am! 8{3

Most Heroes are in trouble if they get Chronosphere'd, but I maanged to make Void waste a few, by getting Eclipse off before he could Chrono me. We both had our Ults down, but that meant that Void had to back off, while I peacefully Split-Pushed all his Lanes faster than he could keep up with! 8{3

Since the Safe Laners and Mids on both Teams were pretty greedy, it was obvious the game would continue for a while, so I focused on Split-Pushing to delay the Game while outfarming Void (ingore his GPM ***back, he got a lot of Kills later on) and Sniper. I went for a Hand of Midas this game, since I knew that our Offlane Weaver couldn't hold Bot Tower for very long, meaning our Ancients were exposed after about 10:00. Add in a Nyx Asassin and you have a good reason to not Feed Stacks to the other Team (they still kept going to our Ancients to Farm anyway). We also had the problem that a Treant Protector wasn't going to let Towers fall too easily...or so i thought 8{3

By about 30:00 I was 2 levels ahead of the rest of their Team and was fighting our Morphling for highest GPM...he won the fight over who got the most Jungle Farm ._. but I got all the Tier 2 Towers and most of the Lane Farm to myself (Treant tried, I was too good) 8{D

After I got my Core Items + a Butterfly, I started Pushing even harder. It only takes so much pressure on their Tier 3s before the other Team cracks and Feeds in a badly chosen Teamfight, or I eventually whittle their Towers down to nothing. As per usual, the former happenned first, and we took advantage of it to take out a Tier 3 + Meele Rax. We kep Pushing our advantage and eventually took out 2 sets of Rax. By this point Void had started to realise, that he was never going to catch me in a Chronosphere without me Eclipseing his arse, so he started Ratting too. It didn't work and he was eventually caught and punished for such foolishness.

Eventually we got Mage Creeps and won. GG EZ, the end. 8{)

If you're not going to win the Late Gamehowever, try to outfarm the other Team and win in the Mid-Game, consider a Hand of Midas/HoTD to ensure a lead, but if not, rush your Core Items and fight!

As for how to play Luna, here are some general tips

1) There are 2 main builds to follow, 4-1-4 and 4-3-2. Levelling Moon Glaives early on is a good idea if you intend to Push straight away, but I'd avoid this if you're not playing in a 4 or 5-stack as it requires competent Teammates to follow through.

2) Once you have lvl6, you can easily 1 vs 1 against most Heroes, lvl 1 Eclipse is better for Ganking, don't try using it on more than 1 Hero until lvl11 as 4 Lucent Beams don't govery far against 2 or more Heroes. My favourite foo...I mean Offlaner to Lane against is Timbersaw, since it's sooooo easy to bait them into the perfect position for an Eclipse 8{3

What you do is let your HP drop a little bit (be careful they don;'t have backup before doing this), to tempt them into try to Kill you. Next, you need to make sure that they Timberchain into you, putting it on Cooldown and them far behind the Creep Wave. LET Eclipse RIP! If they survive for 4 seconds, naturally, they will try to Timberchain away because they want to live, time Lucent Beam to hit them while the Chain is extending to cancel it and out it on Cooldown for another 4 seconds...then Right-Click them to death. At lvl6, even a Timbersaw with full HP will die to 5 Lucent Beams to the face! 8{3

3) Helm of the Dominator is apopular choice on Luna, but I'm not a fan of it. Simply because everyone knows that a Luna is going to Stack and Farm Ancients, so guess what? They'll go and Farm YOUR Ancients constantly (it happens to me EVERY game! T-T ). Thus, I prefer Hand of Midas. You get your payoff instantly and you aren't creating extra Farm for your enemies. My most hated pet hate when someone I play with Picks Luna is that they never seem to understand how bad it is to build a HoTD against Tinker...SERIOUSLY?!!! -_-

4) Black King Bar is always gotten before Manta Style, but if you're not fighting early on (usually because you're Split-Pushing and trying to delay the Game), consider getting a Yasha before Black King Bar as it will speed up your Farm and the increased mobility helps with Split-Pushing. Note: this only happens in about 10% of games (30% in Pubs).

5)If the Game goes Late, you need to Split-Push to gain control of the Map and choose where you Teamfight, so after Manta Style, Tank yourself up! Satanic is the most common choice, but a Heart of Tarrasque can work too, Eye of Skadi is vastly underrated on Luna and when combined with HoT/Satanic, Butterfly and Daedalus, her Illusions are quite scary to deal with. 8{D

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Bunkansee » July 15, 2014 7:37am | Report
Xyrus wrote:

Very rare in Pubs, but in these cases, you want to ignore any Farming Items and rush a Drum of Endurance or Ring of Aquila (if someone else is building the Drum) and a Magic Stick/ Magic Wand, then go straight into your Core Items -> Power Treads, Black King Bar and Manta Style.

My latest (still old ._. ) and greatest Luna game, a very hard and fast Pushing Game, very early on. Luna may well be strongest in hte Mid-Game, but you can easily dominate the Early-Game with her too. <}3

Not much to say really, we pressured, we Killed and then we Pushed, it was easy since there was nothing that could stand up to us early on since all of their Heroes needed Farm and Levels to be effective, our Supports did not however 8{3 . It was a very easy game, mostly due to a difference in skill levels (No surprise that the 5 Carry Team were all n00bs huh? 8{3 ).

This is quite likely in Pubs, unless the other Team has a good Snowballing Hero in Mid-Lane. If you feel like you're going to be 2 vs 2 with only an occasional Gank from Mid during the Early Game, then consider Farming a Hand of Midas or, alternatively, a Helm of the Dominator (more on HoTD later).

How you approach this depends on 1 thing, do you have the advantage Late Game? If you do, make sure you get plenty of Farm (it helps if a Support is willing to Stack Jungle Creeps for you), if you feel it's a good idea to get an HoTD, then Stack Ancients with a (Pink) Satyr while you're at it. Farm up well and Press your advantage once you have it.

This is one example. Some people will tell you that a Faceless Void outcarries a Luna. These people just aren't as good at Luna as I am! 8{3

Most Heroes are in trouble if they get Chronosphere'd, but I maanged to make Void waste a few, by getting Eclipse off before he could Chrono me. We both had our Ults down, but that meant that Void had to back off, while I peacefully Split-Pushed all his Lanes faster than he could keep up with! 8{3

Since the Safe Laners and Mids on both Teams were pretty greedy, it was obvious the game would continue for a while, so I focused on Split-Pushing to delay the Game while outfarming Void (ingore his GPM ***back, he got a lot of Kills later on) and Sniper. I went for a Hand of Midas this game, since I knew that our Offlane Weaver couldn't hold Bot Tower for very long, meaning our Ancients were exposed after about 10:00. Add in a Nyx Asassin and you have a good reason to not Feed Stacks to the other Team (they still kept going to our Ancients to Farm anyway). We also had the problem that a Treant Protector wasn't going to let Towers fall too easily...or so i thought 8{3

By about 30:00 I was 2 levels ahead of the rest of their Team and was fighting our Morphling for highest GPM...he won the fight over who got the most Jungle Farm ._. but I got all the Tier 2 Towers and most of the Lane Farm to myself (Treant tried, I was too good) 8{D

After I got my Core Items + a Butterfly, I started Pushing even harder. It only takes so much pressure on their Tier 3s before the other Team cracks and Feeds in a badly chosen Teamfight, or I eventually whittle their Towers down to nothing. As per usual, the former happenned first, and we took advantage of it to take out a Tier 3 + Meele Rax. We kep Pushing our advantage and eventually took out 2 sets of Rax. By this point Void had started to realise, that he was never going to catch me in a Chronosphere without me Eclipseing his arse, so he started Ratting too. It didn't work and he was eventually caught and punished for such foolishness.

If you're not going to win the Late Gamehowever, try to outfarm the other Team and win in the Mid-Game, consider a Hand of Midas/HoTD to ensure a lead, but if not, rush your Core Items and fight!

1) There are 2 main builds to follow, 4-1-4 and 4-3-2. Levelling Moon Glaives early on is a good idea if you intend to Push straight away, but I'd avoid this if you're not playing in a 4 or 5-stack as it requires competent Teammates to follow through.

2) Once you have lvl6, you can easily 1 vs 1 against most Heroes, lvl 1 Eclipse is better for Ganking, don't try using it on more than 1 Hero until lvl11 as 4 Lucent Beams don't govery far against 2 or more Heroes. My favourite foo...I mean Offlaner to Lane against is Timbersaw, since it's sooooo easy to bait them into the perfect position for an Eclipse 8{3

What you do is let your HP drop a little bit (be careful they don;'t have backup before doing this), to tempt them into try to Kill you. Next, you need to make sure that they Timberchain into you, putting it on Cooldown and them far behind the Creep Wave. LET Eclipse RIP! If they survive for 4 seconds, naturally, they will try to Timberchain away because they want to live, time Lucent Beam to hit them while the Chain is extending to cancel it and out it on Cooldown for another 4 seconds...then Right-Click them to death. At lvl6, even a Timbersaw with full HP will die to 5 Lucent Beams to the face! 8{3

3) Helm of the Dominator is apopular choice on Luna, but I'm not a fan of it. Simply because everyone knows that a Luna is going to Stack and Farm Ancients, so guess what? They'll go and Farm YOUR Ancients constantly (it happens to me EVERY game! T-T ). Thus, I prefer Hand of Midas. You get your payoff instantly and you aren't creating extra Farm for your enemies. My most hated pet hate when someone I play with Picks Luna is that they never seem to understand how bad it is to build a HoTD against Tinker...SERIOUSLY?!!! -_-

4) Black King Bar is always gotten before Manta Style, but if you're not fighting early on (usually because you're Split-Pushing and trying to delay the Game), consider getting a Yasha before Black King Bar as it will speed up your Farm and the increased mobility helps with Split-Pushing. Note: this only happens in about 10% of games (30% in Pubs).

5)If the Game goes Late, you need to Split-Push to gain control of the Map and choose where you Teamfight, so after Manta Style, Tank yourself up! Satanic is the most common choice, but a Heart of Tarrasque can work too, Eye of Skadi is vastly underrated on Luna and when combined with HoT/Satanic, Butterfly and Daedalus, her Illusions are quite scary to deal with. 8{D

Thanks for another really descriptive message :3

So, for a really new player what do recommend I max first? I usually do Moon Glaives and Lucent Beam first and upgrade Eclipse whenever possible. And I presume I should always last hit and not auto attack? I last hit anyway but I suppose if I'm pushing early it would be better to auto-attack. Anyway, you're a big help Xyrus, always appreciate someone as helpful as you :)

Bunkansee
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (32)
Steam: Bunkansee
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by porygon361 » July 15, 2014 7:50am | Report
Xyrus wrote:

I suck at luna too, and this has helped me quite a bit! One step closer to not feeding as luna :D.

Hero Idea Archive

Newest Idea: Ibrik, the Tormentor

And the newest in my series of hero guides...

My Guide to the Grandest Magus of All

porygon361
<Editor>

Remarkable (46)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » July 15, 2014 8:01am | Report
Bunkansee wrote:

So, for a really new player what do recommend I max first? I usually do Moon Glaives and Lucent Beam first and upgrade Eclipse whenever possible.

Xyrus wrote:

Basically, always Max Lucent Beam by lvl7. As for Moon Glaives, if you're Pushing or Jungling early on, then focus on them to clear Creeps faster. Otherwise, level Moonlight Blessing instead. I do recommend starting with Moonlight Blessing at lvl1 though as lvl1 Lucent Beam is a glorified Mini-Stun and you want some levels before taking Moon Glaives.
Bunkansee wrote:

And I presume I should always last hit and not auto attack? I last hit anyway but I suppose if I'm pushing early it would be better to auto-attack. Anyway, you're a big help Xyrus, always appreciate someone as helpful as you :)

Pretty much, yeah. Only Auto-Attack if you're Pushing. 8{)
porygon361 wrote:

I suck at luna too, and this has helped me quite a bit! One step closer to not feeding as luna :D.

Glad to hear it. 8{)

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Allegiance » July 15, 2014 8:08am | Report
Useal skillbuild should be 4/0/2 at level 7. Afterwards you should usually level up glaives since it helps with farming and pushing your lane.

In pubs Dominator + Yasha is better for farming than Midas. Midas is very risky and mainly works if you have a really coordinated team that knows what exactly the game plan is.

If you want to fight and push early get drums + BKB.

Dominator is pretty much core on luna, because you need the satanic later on. The alternative is Mask of Madness...but then again, only build it if you really know what you are doing, since MoM is very situational.

Also it is very important for luna to get level 11 ultimate.

Allegiance

Notable (9)
Steam: d4rkdest1ny
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by jawbreaker261 » July 15, 2014 8:47am | Report
Two main playstyles:

The hard-farming build - this is where you use Luna's top-3 farmspeed potential to outfarm the enemy team. Skillbuild for me is blessing at 1, followed by max beam, then max glaive.

Helm of the Dominator is the first item and you should have by 10 minutes at the latest. I usually have tread/helm at ~8 or tread/aquila/helm at 10. I've never had good experiences with Hand of Midas, and it's not really necessary on a hero that already outfarms 99% of the hero pool.

Once you have 2 levels in glaive, do not static the lane. Push it fast and then go clear jungle camps. Start stacking ancients ASAP (always use a troll/ranged creep). Sure you have to defend the stack but it's well worth the casual ~200 GPM boost. After helm it's generally yasha (~16 minutes) and BKB (~20 minutes). Start clearing ancients as soon as you pick up the yasha, you should have a 4+ stack by this point.

After BKB you're ready to start fighting in earnest, but you still want to keep you farmspeed up. Keep the ancients going, pop into the jungle whenever there's a break, if there's a wave pushing one of your towers you should be the one clearing it. Later items can vary , but it's usually manta+satanic+butterfly. MKB against evasion.

If you're playing it right you should be getting 80+ lasthits per 10 minutes, but more is always better. Assuming you don't get stomped you should be hitting 450+ GPM minimum, but most wins should see you well above 600.

I know I might seem very focused on GPM and item timing but that's the reality of playing super-fast farmers.

The other playstyle is focused on he deathball potential of Lunar Blessing+ Eclipse. In my mind it's not as good, but it's what you want to do against carries that need to be pressured early (standard hard carries and AM). Skillbuild is max beam+blessing. Here you're picking up an early Drum of Endurance followed by BKB (you should be able to have something like tread/aquila/drum/BKB by ~17-18 minutes), and from there you just deathball your way to an early rosh/barracks. Obviously you GPM and CS will be slightly lower with this style.

jawbreaker261

Notable (4)
Steam: jawbreaker261
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » July 15, 2014 8:59am | Report
Basically, when I play Luna, I take 1 point in Lunar Blessing (for the night vision and damage), then proceed to max Lucent Beam. Then I decide: do I have the upper-hand late game? If so, I usually buy a Helm of the Dominator for the lifesteal, then destroy neutrals like crazy (Note: take moon glaive whenever you wish to farm/push). A BKB is necessary to make sure you don't die before your ulti finishes. After that, you can extend to: Manta Syle, upgrading to Satanic, MKB, etc.

TL;DR: Luna is not the hardest carry, but like Anti-mage, she can flash-farm so incredibly fast that she comes online as a carry before others do. And you gotta love moon glaives at rax.

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Illumination0110 » July 15, 2014 9:23am | Report
Just run across a Luna thread. Somehow reminds me of game 2 between Titan and Newbee lol. If anyone still remember that Eye of Skadi by Hao.
Great tips from Xyrus btw, thanks man !

Illumination0110

Notable (2)
Steam: Nations.Anarchy^
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ashwinthegrim » July 15, 2014 10:38am | Report

Just run across a Luna thread. Somehow reminds me of game 2 between Titan and Newbee lol. If anyone still remember that Eye of Skadi by Hao.
Great tips from Xyrus btw, thanks man !

In my opinion, that Eye of Skadi pretty much lost them that game.. If Luna had had buyback at that point, Newbee could have pressured Titan..

As for OP, my preferred skill build is 4-0-2-1 at level 7.. Proceed to skill either Moon Glaives or Lunar Blessing at that point depending on whether you want to push or farm..

Itemwise, I start off with a Wraith Band that builds into a Ring of Aquila. Start by going Power Treads into a Morbid Mask. At this point you can either build a Helm of the Dominator to stack and farm ancients or Mask of Madness to flash farm your jungle with Moon Glaives. I prefer HotD since it builds into Satanic which is an item you would want on Luna during late game. After treads and hotd, go for a Black King Bar. It is a core item on Luna since she is extremely squishy without it. Once you finish BKB, it's time to build a Yasha into Manta Style. At this point, you should be joining teamfights, using Eclipse and pushing towers with your team. Find farm wherever possible in between fights. Your next item would be a Butterfly. Last item during late game would be to upgrade your HotD into a Satanic.

If the game just doesn't end, you can go for an Eye of Skadi. It's a great item on Luna.

Also keep in mind, Luna is a great Divine Rapier carrier, thanks to Moon Glaives once you have Satanic. If you are losing the game, it might be worth building a Rapier as a last ditch effort.

ashwinthegrim

Notable (7)
Steam: Grim

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved