Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Help me decide which character to play first :/

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Help me decide which character to play first :/ 35 posts - page 3 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Glayde » August 17, 2012 11:04pm | Report
Eh, I suppose. But there are things like bottle, magic wand, arcane boots, etc to make up for the lack of mana in Dota, where in LOL, there are one mana pots and blue buff.

My Hero Guides: Furion
My Ideas for Dota: Iron Guardian, Rafael, the Split Being
Check this out.

Glayde

Notable (13)
Steam: Zephyr
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by StevenLK » August 17, 2012 11:08pm | Report
I'm just going to say I win this one. All my post said was that playing a hero like Lion who has mana drain is an easy transition from LoL to Dota 2. His ult costs a truckload of mana too.

StevenLK

Notable (10)
Steam: LSK.exe
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Glayde » August 17, 2012 11:15pm | Report
Lol, alright. I don't give up on this matter, but whatever. And if you do have mana issues, play auto attack carries like viper or Drow ranger.

Check this out.

Glayde

Notable (13)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by StevenLK » August 17, 2012 11:20pm | Report
Oh yeah, Crystal Maiden is a great hero to start off with. And maybe some other supports too. I think that carries should be played after you get some experience though. Last hitting is hard for most beginners and practicing denying is always a good idea. When I started Dota 2 I created a private match and practiced last hitting.

StevenLK

Notable (10)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Glayde » August 17, 2012 11:30pm | Report
Well, most people want kills kills kills in the beginning, so that's why I'm suggesting easy carry heroes like Sniper. But agreed, last hitting and denying are key to improving your dota gameplay.

Check this out.

Glayde

Notable (13)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by StevenLK » August 17, 2012 11:36pm | Report
I feel that for an unexperienced Dota 2 player, a carry is a role too important for them. Playing a support or initiator is easier to learn the basics with. Tidehunter, for example, can just drop a gush early game and anchor smash. Late game, they just need to be there for teamfights and ravage.

StevenLK

Notable (10)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Glayde » August 17, 2012 11:42pm | Report
Well, it's usually not that organized in pubs, so even if you just did the perfect Ravage, your team would most likely just run away. Carries tend to get kills fairly quickly early game, so that's why I think you should play carries first, to get the hang of the game, shopping, farming, etc.

Check this out.

Glayde

Notable (13)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by StevenLK » August 17, 2012 11:46pm | Report
Meh I guess that works too. To each their own eh

StevenLK

Notable (10)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » August 18, 2012 1:48am | Report
Crystal Maiden is a horrible hero to start with, she's VERY weak, if you don't know how to play her, how to position yourself, what to do, and such, you'll just feed the enemy team.
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by wilddeonpwn » August 18, 2012 4:11am | Report
Huskar is the newbiest herp

wilddeonpwn

Established (102)
Steam: wilddeonpwn
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved