Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Ask me some Chen questions please! :D

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Ask me some Chen questions please! :D 27 posts - page 3 of 3
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by AngeloBangelo » March 12, 2015 3:55am | Report
Good question Unscathed.

(Also, all of you will get a mention at the end of my guide for inspiring this new Q & A section. I appreciate you helping me out)

The ancients have different uses.

The Thunderhide has low HP and low armor. He attacks very fast, and it can be increased further if you cast "frenzy". Since his movespeed is awful, he is best used to take down towers or take rosh. His DPS is the highest of all of the ancients, but he is kited easily and requires a lot of micro to damage heroes properly. His "Slam" ability is not realistic to use, as the AoE is very small and the hero duration is 2 seconds.

The Golem has medium HP (High with his aura) and VERY high armor (More than Chen at most levels). This makes him great for soaking up tower shots. His attack is somewhat fast, in between the other two ancients. His is usually picked up for his granite aura, which grants an extra 15% HP to allied units around you (Illusions, summons, everything...). It's usually worth grabbing two golems if possible. Even though they don't contribute much to a team fight as far as DPS goes, one will be focused down immediately. Remember that killing a golem means that all 5 heroes and any summons/creeps (Even siege units) all lose 15% of their HP. That's a lot for killing a creep. Grabbing two ensures a tanky team. Very good against bursty team compositons like Lina, Lion, Meepo, Pugna, etc...

Dragon is probably one of the worst creeps in my opinion. He has high health, and medium armor. His attack is ranged, which means more space commitment to kill him, but his damage is very low due to his slow attack speed. He has a splash on his attack, but the AoE is small and his move speed is terrible. I try not to pick up dragons (Just farm them) if at all possible.

AngeloBangelo

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (50)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » March 12, 2015 11:10am | Report
Do you ever get mek before arcanes, and if yes in what situations do you?

How high to you rate aghs? as in, how high do you prioritise it over/below other items?
Almost always before force for example?
Only if you dont need to counter something with an item?
Always an other utility item first?

What do you do if for some reason you have another semi jungler like SK on your team, or an offlaner like batrider who takes over the jungle and who isnt ready to fight?
Do you just hardcore push or try go gank a lane?

How do you play against an enchantress? I know she can invade your jungle and any creeps she convert will time out even if you get them back. Do you evade her? Or can he kind of handle her from level 3 onwards since the buff?

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by AngeloBangelo » March 12, 2015 5:30pm | Report
Timminatorr wrote:

Do you ever get mek before arcanes, and if yes in what situations do you?

Yes. These are some really good questions, by the way. I get mek before arcanes if I'm ahead. Chen has a slow start if he dies. He normally has to persuade another 4 creeps before he can do anything, which is a lot of mana gone, and to speed it up you can use creep abilities to farm faster. Both of these require mana, and replenishment if you're going to team fight soon (Which you should usually be doing with Chen). If I keep the same creeps forever, instead I will build straight into mek, or if you have a good Rosh line hero (SF, Ursa, Troll) you can go brown boots medallion and get rosh around 9 minutes.

How high to you rate aghs? as in, how high do you prioritise it over/below other items?
Almost always before force for example?
Only if you dont need to counter something with an item?
Always an other utility item first?

Aghs is very highly rated. It's a core in almost all games at some point. The heal CD reduction is very strong, and if nothing else the ability to persuade ancients is incredibly powerful. I would say Aghs is core in all games eventually. Not necessarily a first item, but ALWAYS a 2nd or 3rd.

What do you do if for some reason you have another semi jungler like SK on your team, or an offlaner like batrider who takes over the jungle and who isnt ready to fight?
Do you just hardcore push or try go gank a lane?

Then your draft is unfortunately kind of poorly thought out. If it happens, you'll want to look at their composition and decide what is best. Let's say your opponents mid is Storm, and your mid is NP. Ganking mid isn't an option. You can either dive your short lane (With a smoke possibly) from behind the tower (Wrap around the ancients), or you can aggressive jungle and push in the long lane to hurt the opponents carry farm. Just the sight of chen will make a carry afraid. The thought of "Chen is in my jungle. I can't push too far from my tower" can hurt their farm just as much as your harass. Even if you're just farming, the threat of chen NOT farming and just waiting to gank is intimidating.

How do you play against an enchantress? I know she can invade your jungle and any creeps she convert will time out even if you get them back. Do you evade her? Or can he kind of handle her from level 3 onwards since the buff?

Enchantress really ruins Chen early game. You go from a creep and a nuke, to 0 creeps, and slowed against a creep and a hero. She will always out DPS you early game because of creep superiority, and you can never kill her because she has a slow while you do not. All she has to do is run, and you're powerless. My advice would be get a middle that doesn't rely on runes and ward your own jungle at certain ramps or spots that she will rotate through. You can dodge her and still farm comfortably while she farms as well. Chen makes better use of farm, so it's a good situation. Enchantress should really spend about 3-5 minutes in the jungle at a time before ganking again. She needs to be very active, so farming Chens jungle looking for him is good as long as you're not dying. Also, since she is aggro jungling, it means that you have better TP support or can catch her out with one of your supports if you want to go hunt her. Never try to solo her early game. Middle game when you start clashing, her exp will be hurt and she will not have snowballed as long as you keep your jungle warded and do not feed. But like I said, warding your jungle hurts your mids ability to see ganks coming, and see runes. Keep that in mind.

AngeloBangelo

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (50)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Anteater » March 12, 2015 8:27pm | Report
Let's say you are playing a very magic-happy team, and your side already has a natural mek holder in its ranks. Is it OK to build a Pipe of Insight after Arcane Boots?

Why isn't Shiva's Guard considered a good situational item? Shouldn't that help with survivability provided that your game hasn't gone to hell in a handbasket?

Is it OK to run Chen as a solo support in the safe lane - one that can pull and stack while he jungles and helps zone the opposing offlaner using certain creeps? Is that a bad idea? Some players demand "solo safe lane" when they want to carry a game - and this could be the best of both worlds.

If you're going to draft a Chen, do show him early and force counterpicks (that you can then respond to late) - or do you hold him for last and ask questions of the enemy lineup (possibly ones that they can't answer)?

What is the one thing that Chen teaches a Dota 2 player that no other hero in the game can?

Anteater

Notable (1)
Steam: radium
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » March 12, 2015 11:13pm | Report
What he said ^^^

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by AngeloBangelo » March 13, 2015 9:24am | Report
Anteater wrote:

Let's say you are playing a very magic-happy team, and your side already has a natural mek holder in its ranks. Is it OK to build a Pipe of Insight after Arcane Boots?

Absolutely! I do it quite often versus magic heavy line ups. It's completely acceptable.

Why isn't Shiva's Guard considered a good situational item? Shouldn't that help with survivability provided that your game hasn't gone to hell in a handbasket?

Shivas is okay, but to fully utilize it you need to be in the middle of the fray to hit the maximum amount of heroes. This requires durability, which Chen doesn't have. It's more suited for Axe, Tide, etc... It DOES offer survivability, but you know what else does? Positioning. You can literally plant Chen in the fountain and micro your creeps, and ult from there. Is that viable: No. But I'm just saying, Chen doesn't have to be anywhere NEAR the battle to assist in it. He doesn't need much survivability honestly.

Is it OK to run Chen as a solo support in the safe lane - one that can pull and stack while he jungles and helps zone the opposing offlaner using certain creeps? Is that a bad idea? Some players demand "solo safe lane" when they want to carry a game - and this could be the best of both worlds.

I don't think this is an efficient use of Chen. If you're going to stack the easy camp, you can also stack the hard camp which yields more EXP and gold. I'd say that only VERY good Chen players that know timing well should attempt this. You would have to take one creep to stack the hard camp, while Chen stacks the easy camp. Stacking and pulling the easy camp offers no gold or experience compared to when Chen is capable of achieving. He can do much better than that.

If you're going to draft a Chen, do show him early and force counterpicks (that you can then respond to late) - or do you hold him for last and ask questions of the enemy lineup (possibly ones that they can't answer)?

Absolutely. Chen needs to be taken relatively early in your draft typically. I have seen Secret last pick him once after an enchantress ban and first pick Axe (Baiting the Chen pick), and Secret didn't fear it at all. Chen is VERY powerful. He is one of the strongest heroes in the game as of the writing of this guide, and that can't be argued. If a high tier team has a Chen player, the opponents will almost always ban it or HATE pick against it very strongly.

What is the one thing that Chen teaches a Dota 2 player that no other hero in the game can?

Playing Chen has taught me a lot. He has taught me timing of items and timing of ganks/pushes/smokes. He has taught me to stay cool under pressure. Even when you're being attacked, just calm down and think about the engagement. Don't get upset over possibly dying. That has happened often with Chen where I am jumped by a storm spirit and I panic micro and forget to stomp with centaurs. He taught me how important it is to help your mid, and how positive of an impact it can have on your game. If your mid starts snow balling, then you gank your short lane and your carry snow balls... Pssh. The game is over. He promotes activity CONSTANTLY. Get creeps and gank. Get creeps and push. Can't push? All MIA? Ward up, get creeps and rosh. Now go fight with aegis and win a fight. He has taught me the value of positioning because he is so fragile to getting picked. One thing that Chen really has stressed that no other support really emphasizes is weighing out if an opponent is going to live or not in a certain situation. If you use ult on a hero to save them early game, and they still die... Now your ult is down for almost 3 minutes. That's like wasting a black hole. If your carry is getting focused in a team fight during a push, do you send him or her home:

**What stuns are up? What's his armor and health? Do they have negative armor debuffs? When was amplify damage cast? Who hit slardar, is his blink up? They used Blackhole earlier at rosh, is it back up? Did someone use forcestaff already to push your carry out of midnight pulse?** etc etc... You have to pay attention to EVERYTHING in a fight, calculate, and decide whether or not to save your ally. If you send your Sven home in a fight and he was okay... Your push is gone. It's completely gone. Now you have to wait. Chen is a game changing hero, that's a given. But it goes either way. An inexperienced Chen can ruin the game for your team and not even realize it. Meanwhile a pro Chen seals a victory with the right team comp.

AngeloBangelo

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (50)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Anteater » March 19, 2015 2:19pm | Report
Chen problems that I have:

1. Is it OK to buy vision and courier instead of smoke? Sometimes I don't know my carry/mid player and I feel like it would be better to grant security and defensive benefits instead of a FB attempt. Enchantress must dive in for the early lead, but can Chen hold off on a gank until level 3 (and some boots)?

2. My carry (and hopefully hard support there with him) are doing a fine job early at securing farm. The mid battle is roughly even, which neither the QoP or SS gaining an upper hand. Do I convert the won safe lane into a fast tower (and basically remove the offlaner from early relevance), OR should I smoke up and throw a potential gank towards my mid who could REALLY use it? (Or is the answer to split my creeps and send 1-2 pushers with our safe lane to win the tower while smoking with one stun/disable creep to open up the gank?)

Chen is weird in that your decisions all relate to the main question - "Will converting my utility into advantage A instead of advantage B increase our odds of the winning the game?"

3. Let's say most lanes are roughly 50/50. There now are 2 heroes looking to rush my jungle because "LOL Chen easy kill". I can steal a creep with a stun, but they outnumber me for the time being 2 to 1. I cannot farm or place aggressive wards at this time. My safe lane can't exactly come to help for another minute since they cannot afford to lose CS on the #1 hero in order to save the #4 hero. Do I just rush under the T2 tower near jungle for 20-30 seconds until there is help?

Anteater

Notable (1)
Steam: radium

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved