Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Windranger's AC and Medalion - is it a good choice?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Windranger's AC and Medalion - is it a good choice? 11 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ChiChi » July 23, 2015 3:39pm | Report
Dear all,

I've been recently on a Windranger hype, due to Bunkan's tip helping me achieve what I could never do before with the hero.

Match here: http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1653538446

I had this game yesterday where I figured I needed an Assault Cuirass. Why? Because they had a Dazzle, a Nature's Prophet with Desolator and two very heavy right-clickers, plus Viper.

The thing is, I started with the Deso myself, in order to be able to rat, since my team was not very coordenated (they did wonderfull teamfiths which resulted in rampages for the Ember Spirit, but they didn't take objectives in an organised manner after). I was convinced we were gonna lose (specially because the said Ember didn't bother to buy Dust and get that damned Nature's, only to see him escape him again and again), so I decided I needed to be able to solo-take Nature's Prophet and kill Drow Ranger. I figured I needed armor, I bought the Platemail, planning on a Shiva's, but since I had no Aghs I was not satisfied with my regular AS. So I went AC. I had never seen an Assault Cuirass wind before - but hey, why not?

Drow Ranger purchased a surprise Butterfly so I ratted my way out of teamfights until I had the Monkey King Bar, and finally entered base. I killed Drow Ranger with ulti, then she bought back, AND I managed to kill her once more with no ulti, with the help of Ember Spirit. The thing is: I was left alive with 20 HP or so, and she was hitting like a truck - with Silver Edge, Daedalus, Satanic and Butterfly.

You think AC could have contributed? Was it a good item after all, or was I day-dreaming?

On the same topic: Is a casual Medallion of Courage a good item on Windranger? I usually struggle with mana and armor in the early game, so I was thinking trying this, based on Sofa's and Sando's idea for Phantom Assassin - thought it could be a good idea to use on someone we want to ulti.

Credits to Janitsu!

Ammateurs coaching channel iei! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOBsWN_45WjrRXLAWUqeyaA

ChiChi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
Steam: Chi-Chi
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » July 23, 2015 4:06pm | Report
Hi ChiChi!

The think about a Medallion on WR is that there are better items for herself. However, if the team needs, a Medallion wouldn't be so bad. However, there are better candidates for the item.

About AC... It's not great. If you think about it, WR doesn't need the attackspeed.

But the biggest thing is... Vlad's gives the same amount of armour to the team. Honestly. +5.

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ChiChi » July 23, 2015 4:14pm | Report
Hi Sofa!

Thanks! Perhaps I should have gone Vladmir's Offering then?

Usually I don't care for attack speed on Wind either, but this game I felt I needed it, since I had to wait for the ulti longer cooldown and was ratting. Also AC gives more armor to myself.

But Vlad's damage would be welcomed, since I had Deso already.

As for Medalion, I usually opt for a casual Oblivion Staff for mana, if they have ways of burning it, or just Ring of Basilius/ Bottle. Are all of these better than Medalion?

Credits to Janitsu!

Ammateurs coaching channel iei! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOBsWN_45WjrRXLAWUqeyaA

ChiChi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » July 23, 2015 4:39pm | Report
Shiva's would have been a much better alternative. You don't need the attack speed, since Focus Fire is more than enough. While the armor aura is good for the team, but reducing the enemy team's attack speed is better usually.

Also Shiva grants you damage as well.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ChiChi » July 23, 2015 4:43pm | Report
Yeah, Shiva's has the inteligence big block. But without Aghs I'm still not convinced Focus Fire is enough for AS, there were plenty of times when I needed and it was in cooldown from a previous fight =/

Still, I will not repeat the choice and go for either Shiva's or Vlads. Being that I like regular AS on Wind when I don't have an Aghs, I have other choices for this.

Credits to Janitsu!

ChiChi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » July 23, 2015 4:55pm | Report
ChiChi wrote:

Yeah, Shiva's has the inteligence big block. But without Aghs I'm still not convinced Focus Fire is enough for AS, there were plenty of times when I needed and it was in cooldown from a previous fight =/

Still, I will not repeat the choice and go for either Shiva's or Vlads. Being that I like regular AS on Wind when I don't have an Aghs, I have other choices for this.

How can it be on cooldown? Agh's Focus Fire has 100% uptime!

For mana, I usually build an early Ring of Basilius and a Bottle. The Basi has an added benefit of building into the aforementioned Vladmir's Offering.

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ChiChi » July 23, 2015 5:01pm | Report
TheSofa wrote:

Have you been listening to me, I had no Aghs, that's the problem :D

I should have built it, but I ended up with a weird build where I suddenly wanted armor and AS. I gotta go for Vlads more too, usually I sell the Basi.

Credits to Janitsu!

ChiChi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » July 23, 2015 5:02pm | Report
ChiChi wrote:

since I had no Aghs I was not satisfied with my regular AS.

Who plays WR without Aghs anyways :)

Assault Cuirass is situational on a lot of heroes for the aura. WR is just a really bad AC user...doesn't need attack speed, doesn't need armor until MKB's are out, and shivas is just better on her.

You don't build attack speed on WR. You buy aghs. Aghs not only gives 100% uptime on Focus Fire...it also increases your ult damage by 42% (attack damage reduction from 30% to 0%). So you will rat much faster with aghs than with attack speed since it increses the ult damage by a lot.

You don't build armor on WR unless the enemy team has mass MKB's. These scrubs didn't even have MKB's on their damage dealers (NS doesn't count)...so no point.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KrDotoBestDoto » July 23, 2015 5:06pm | Report
TheSofa wrote:

For mana, I usually build an early Ring of Basilius and a Bottle. The Basi has an added benefit of building into the aforementioned Vladmir's Offering.

Well he mentioned he had no aghs since he went a armor reduction build to take down buildings so AC makes sense. Since the AS limit has been changed having additional AS also isn't that senseless.
Sure it makes more sense to build pure damage to abuse focus fire, but having stable dps even without focus fire can be important depensing on the game.

KrDotoBestDoto

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ChiChi » July 23, 2015 5:11pm | Report
Hamstertamer wrote:

Who plays WR without Aghs anyways :)

You're right :( noob WR is noob.

But KrDotoBestDoto got my point (I'm a "she", btw). I was very confused, to say the least xD

Credits to Janitsu!

ChiChi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved