Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

The Most Significant Generalized Criticism of Dota 2

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » The Most Significant Generalized Criticism of Dota 2 65 posts - page 5 of 7
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ancient Hero » June 6, 2013 8:14pm | Report
And then gem counters your shadow blade. Congrats. Stomp at level is 2 seconds and then double edge is 175 at level 1. Thats the highest level nuke in the game at level 1. At level 4 its 400(same thing I believe). If you have set up, it's easy kills. Theres a reason why he has a 55% win ratio. Late game, hes a pain in the *** to kill having 2700 hp at levle 25 without items. Once you get heart, pipe and a blademail. its so much damage that can be returned. Double edge also lets you push creepwaves like crazy with the aoe.

"
Are you really going to go in to the jungle or run down a lane stomping and double edging all the way through in order to get gold?" (im using fast reply)

Yes, you last hit and get kills easily. That gives gold.

IDK why you build shadow blade, your initiation is countered straight up by a gem. A blink dagger is more efficient with initiation

If you think this build works, fine. But you wanna try to convince people, especially people that are looking for advice, you better back it up with replays against decent players.

Ancient Hero
<Editor>

Notable (17)
Steam: smiles
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by frogger_29 » June 6, 2013 8:27pm | Report
Kyfoid wrote:

What irks me most about the community here is how most of you rule out the option to put points in stats which can be done at any point of leveling. Most just write it off as not even being a viable option.

So lame.

Putting points into stats early is actually quite viable on some heroes like Sven and Juggernaut.

Kyfoid wrote:

As a central laner you start with wand and health pots, 1 point in to stomp and MAYBE 1 point in to double edge, but as said, stats, stats, stats and strength gear aside from MoM and Vangaurd.

Actually, I have tried that build before. It actually made my Centaur Warrunner a beast in the late game. The only problem with this build I tried was Centaur Warrunner became extremely weak early game. So this build of yours might actually work if you plan to make Centaur Warrunner as your team's carry. But the general build (get 1 level of Hoof Stomp, max Double Edge, then max Hoof Stomp or Return) makes Centaur Warrunner a beast in early to mid game but begins to fall of late game. Your build (putting points into stats early) has strengths and weaknesses, likewise the general build also has strengths and weaknesses. Also posting a replay just like other people suggested might actually prove you right and settle this once and for all and at the same time introducing a new build into the hero. After all, a hero can never have too many ways to play.

Kyfoid wrote:

With that said, this approach means that your most important item ends up being one that ISN'T EVEN SUGGESTED ON THE SUGGESTED ITEM LIST! LOL!

Shadow Blade.

That might actually work since Shadow Blade is very similar to Blink Dagger and is also good for initiating and at the same time grants Centaur Warrunner a semi-reliable escape mechanism. However, both items have pros and cons. I believe I don't have to explain them to you.

Everything that you said about the hero (except in the beginning) is right, however that doesn't mean that the others are wrong. They're also right, so don't treat as if they have never played Dota in their entire life. It's just that not all people accept something new immediately since they have never seen it work or they haven't tried it yet. That's why they're asking for a replay. So, give them one.

frogger_29

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Nubtrain » June 6, 2013 9:08pm | Report
Kyfoid wrote:

No. If you max out double edge then you are also going to max out stomp right along with it... 1 point in return? Yeah... uh... maybe? But Double Edge and Stomp are meant to be used more against enemy heroes then against enemy creeps.

No... you can have 1 level of stomp and return if you want, the scaling on stomp isn't even good so if you're getting harassed from Drow a level of Return is fine. Of course they're meant to be used against heroes, why would you use it against creeps? If on the occasion that you want to push the lane with Double Edge then fine but of course you'd use it on heroes, nobody said otherwise.

Kyfoid wrote:

With that said, this approach means that your most important item ends up being one that ISN'T EVEN SUGGESTED ON THE SUGGESTED ITEM LIST! LOL!

Shadow Blade.

...what? If you want to get Shadow Blade that's fine but that's not the most important item, your ignorance and arrogance is clearly shown

Kyfoid wrote:

Why?

Because I cannot tell you how many times I have ran in with stampede and got lucky catching 2 enemy heroes that still end up being too far apart on different sides of me that I am only able to catch one of them with a double edge follow through.

Shadow blade would be essential for timing a stomp that catches 2 opponents close enough together so that you can follow up double edge both of them which is what these skills were meant for... Catching 2 or more enemy heroes with both spells is essential.

Even then, were talking about pulling off something that is completely unreliable and would be sheer dumb luck to pull off against a good team that knows not to get too close to each other.

Are you really going to go in to the jungle or run down a lane stomping and double edging all the way through in order to get gold?

Hod, Tranquil boots, wand and shadow blade?

Why do you keep posting up hypothetical situations, if they happen to have one hero, two heroes or even three, the whole purpose is to surprise stun them right? So why go through all the explanation when you could of said "surprise attack". You're also forgetting that you have to farm it so by the time you have Shadow Blade you'll have your ultimate which serves the same purpose...

Kyfoid wrote:

Remember, this approach would be designed more for combating intelligence style heroes, but most of those types of characters are ranged and if not ranged, spamming their spells from a distance...

This means that they are even LESS likely to group together as they approach with crescent moon offensive focus.

How is it designed more for intelligence heroes when it works equally for agility and strength heroes. How is it any different on agility heroes or strength? The whole reason you'll most likely target intelligence heroes is that they're squishy and you can take a majority of their health away but the point to Shadow Blade in is to surprise stun and damage them. You don't even know the reason why you would go for Shadow Blade, it's to surprise attack them.

Kyfoid wrote:

It's utterly outrageous... even double edge with its damage will quickly wear itself out with the diminishing magic effectiveness over time that occurs through out the span of the game.

Diminishing magic effectiveness? Explain please because I enjoy reading the arrogance :)

Kyfoid wrote:
The only option you have to further improve it is by adding more life regen items to your inventory.... Really?

Why is that the only option?

Kyfoid wrote:
Other heroes at least can use a veil of discord or refresher orb....

Which heroes and why?

Kyfoid wrote:

Are you going to rely on something that has a window of opportunity to be potentially effective, or are you going to choose the more reliable method of farming and enemy harassment by choosing the strength route which, yes, takes a while to get that ball rolling but is a snowball and increases exponentially.

Shadow Blade also has a window of opportunity to be potentially effective so... explain further... strength route? Explain, be clear and concise with what you're trying to explain since you giving me the impression that you barely have an idea what you're talking about.

Kyfoid wrote:

HAHA! You're choice indeed!

Your* but then again it's the internet o.o!

Kyfoid wrote:

Make the better choice!

*Don't tear yourself with items that conflict with this character , and don't tear yourself by changing directions later or going two directions at the same time from the start... Remember, two directional items don't even exist.

So... how does Blink Dagger conflict with this hero? Changing directions? Be clear please.. directional items?

What are you talking about... I'd love read since everything you've typed so far is rubbish

Nubtrain
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (58)
Steam: Nubtrain
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by thippo » June 6, 2013 9:36pm | Report
I too would actually want to see an actual build come out of this, but so far this is such filled with arrogance and absolute disarray that people think he could possibly not be 100% perfectly correct and getting thin skinned about what was at first constructive criticism. I recommend, to Kyfoid, that you leave the thread, don't look at or post in it until you have a guide up and running, because this is a massive wall of tl;dr and inconcise information in this thread. Write a guide, show a replay, really either one will make you look like less of a prick and more like someone who isn't limited by a learning disability. I will seriously support your build if you can make it in a way that actually makes sense and has benefits above the normal build that apply in more than 1 super specific situation. Preferably not in a pubstomp. It's fine to post a replay that you lost in, so long as it supports that your build gave you a nice advantage.

Now hurry along and swallow your pride, dear.

thippo

Notable (10)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » June 7, 2013 3:31am | Report
Stop feeding the smart troll.He doesn't take into regard any of your suggestions, nor he brings up arguments to sustain his rubbish.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by samukobo » June 7, 2013 4:06am | Report
Actually frogger, the first thing you quoted from him is (surprisingly) a good opinion and what you did is agree with him.

Anyway, I really think we should stop arguing about Centaur and Drow so much.
Quoted:

ヽ༼ຈلຈ༽ノ

samukobo
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by frogger_29 » June 7, 2013 6:02am | Report
samukobo wrote:

Actually frogger, the first thing you quoted from him is (surprisingly) a good opinion and what you did is agree with him.

Anyway, I really think we should stop arguing about Centaur and Drow so much.

Agreed. We're not getting nearer into resolving these arguments. Let's just forget about this thread and pretend it never happened.

frogger_29

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kyfoid » June 7, 2013 7:05am | Report
frogger_29 wrote:

Actually, I have tried that build before. It actually made my Centaur Warrunner a beast in the late game. The only problem with this build I tried was Centaur Warrunner became extremely weak early game. So this build of yours might actually work if you plan to make Centaur Warrunner as your team's carry. But the general build (get 1 level of Hoof Stomp, max Double Edge, then max Hoof Stomp or Return) makes Centaur Warrunner a beast in early to mid game but begins to fall of late game. Your build (putting points into stats early) has strengths and weaknesses, likewise the general build also has strengths and weaknesses. Also posting a replay just like other people suggested might actually prove you right and settle this once and for all and at the same time introducing a new build into the hero. After all, a hero can never have too many ways to play.

I see what you're saying here and I have also thought about maxing double edge and doing 1 point in stomp... your reasoning has lead me to realize something about my own build and my starting items...

Maxing double edge practically makes Hood of Defiance and Shadow Blade a necessity, get lucky, catch the hero opponents too close together, stomp stun, double edge swat and then escape the battle with stampede. Or charge in with stampede and escape with shadow blade.

Nubtrain and I both agree that Stomp and Double Edge are meant for use against heroes more then creeps, which has made me realizing something about my current build which consists of 1 point in stomp and 1 point in double edge, Items: Wand and 4 health pots.

When we say that these skills are meant for heroes, what does this mean exactly? Hero harassment? This can't be an accurate assessment at all, remember that centaur is a melee hero who has purely average movement speed. Would starting with boots of speed suddenly make him a viable harasser with stomp and double edge? Really? Not in the slightest... First of all, if you are melee and fighting against a ranged opponent at mid, you are going to need more then 1 health pot. Are you really going to start with boots and health pot going middle? Remember, your a melee hero with melee skills... and purely average attack speed.

Sure there might be some very rare circumstance where you could play against a particular melee hero who is slower then you which you could harass with boots and a health pot but... gahh, getting back to the point here... There is definitely not any real point to even putting ANY points at all in to hoof stomp or double edge unless you are going to guarantee the kill on the opponent, and from what I see in current trends of play, many players are getting wand and health pots at start which really reveal how pointless your points in to your non passive skills are unless you can really get a farming advantage from it.

The conclusion is to start with Return and to just go back and forth between points in stats and return and then try to gauge the best time to throw a point in to hoof stomp, the time where you think you can guarantee a kill and this may be a time when you are going to confidently gank a lane with your partners...

Starting Items: 2 x Gauntlets of Strength and 3x Health Pots (Going middle lane)

Progressively build bracers in your inventory until you have 2 - 3 and grab a shield. Hopefully before you return home you were able to get a pair of boots.

Once you have power treads, 2-3 bracers, shield, your last one or two slots are left for mask of madness and if a 2nd open slot for tps or roshan.

As soon as MoM is gotten you just fricken farm your *** off to get heart and then armlet of mordigean, selling off bracers if need be.

And I really want to point out here how heart restores life based on the max amount of life that you have... That's one of the key points in taking this route as a sudden change in direction from his double edge approach to get a heart is not nearly as good as the strength route in to Armlet ending up with 4,500 life + region.

Anyways, because I hadn't fully worked out the kinks in my thinking, I really didn't think it would be worth posting a replay yet, especially with the attitude here. But now I think I can do just that, hope to have something soon... thanks!

Warrunner = middle lane... 3.8 str per level.

I do recognize, however, that most players do just put points in to skills until they are at a level where they can ensure kills, but even that window has a frame.

Kyfoid

Notable (9)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by thippo » June 7, 2013 10:32am | Report
And here we go, it's starting to actually be pretty productive. Work in a skill build and we've got a legitimate guide that I'm willing to try playing with. That said, even with your insane starting health pool, I'd go with 2 Salves and 1 Tango because 2 Salves is more than enough and you have those moments where tangoes can let you escape a gank with 10 hp because you ate a tree five seconds before it happened.

thippo

Notable (10)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by R-Conqueror » June 7, 2013 12:58pm | Report
STOP FEEDING THE TROLL, this thread will be endless if you don't.
I got to Notable, Thanks!
Check out my carrying guide: http://www.dotafire.com/dota-2/guide/alchemist-shrugged-a-carrying-guide-8022

R-Conqueror

Remarkable (24)
Steam: R-Conqueror
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved