Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Gankers: Born and Not Made. Discuss.

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Gankers: Born and Not Made. Discuss. 28 posts - page 2 of 3
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Pu12e » October 24, 2012 3:34pm | Report
whitenun wrote:

I think it also depends on how comfortable you are with your hero. First time playing a hero, one will be more passive trying to figure out timing and how spells work. No guide can teach that, just takes time and practice.

I do agree, however, that there are some people how are more predisposed to being more aggressive and will probably pick up ganking a little faster. There are also those who play passively because that's their comfort level.

Very great points. Thank you for this post.

Pu12e

Notable (11)
Steam: Pu12e
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Captain Planet » October 25, 2012 10:07am | Report
I would like to add, that pu12e's original comment is a part truth. It is true that it is possible to learn "HOW" to gank, but to effectively be a "GOOD" ganker actually does reflet the players mentality. For example, my general playstyle is more oriented to the team. When I play any role, I am more commited to playing for the team, thus I broaden my perspectives to compensate for what I believe the team needs, wether it be the meta game, or the mental game. Of course these roles have been partially filled due to my experience over the years.

I generally am a more commited style of player, meaning then when a team fight is ensured I DO NOT RUN AWAY, if we are all 5 in the fight. My survival matters little and I know that if I commit I have a better chance of my team winning the fight. There are others who once they have half hp decide its time to back, leaving their team. This is a personality trait that makes them do this, being more self centered if you will.

A good ganker is a person who is commited, not blind though. If I am a hero who can gank effectively I hold no restriction to the opponents in the lane. I know that ganking anyone, whoever it is warrants them exp loss and farm, and allows the people in the lane better farm and exp. Giving an edge, so I will gank anyone, Even a Riki or any other escape hero(I think only one I don't really gank is AM.) That said I situational gank, if its riki I make sure i have dust or wards. Its that simple.

I would say that learning to gank is fine, but for example, a passive player who knows how to gank will gank a little more cautious, probably limiting his maximum ganking potential(kills) where as an aggressive player could gank better for the team, albeit he may die more. Then there is the balanced player, who probably can gank the best in any situation. Given all 3 of these players no how and when to gank, and are capable of playing ganking heroes just fine. I'm sure you all know exactly what I mean.

Captain Planet

Notable (4)
Steam: Captain Planet
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Pu12e » October 26, 2012 8:08am | Report

I would like to add, that pu12e's original comment is a part truth. It is true that it is possible to learn "HOW" to gank, but to effectively be a "GOOD" ganker actually does reflet the players mentality. For example, my general playstyle is more oriented to the team. When I play any role, I am more commited to playing for the team, thus I broaden my perspectives to compensate for what I believe the team needs, wether it be the meta game, or the mental game. Of course these roles have been partially filled due to my experience over the years.

I generally am a more commited style of player, meaning then when a team fight is ensured I DO NOT RUN AWAY, if we are all 5 in the fight. My survival matters little and I know that if I commit I have a better chance of my team winning the fight. There are others who once they have half hp decide its time to back, leaving their team. This is a personality trait that makes them do this, being more self centered if you will.

A good ganker is a person who is commited, not blind though. If I am a hero who can gank effectively I hold no restriction to the opponents in the lane. I know that ganking anyone, whoever it is warrants them exp loss and farm, and allows the people in the lane better farm and exp. Giving an edge, so I will gank anyone, Even a Riki or any other escape hero(I think only one I don't really gank is AM.) That said I situational gank, if its riki I make sure i have dust or wards. Its that simple.

I would say that learning to gank is fine, but for example, a passive player who knows how to gank will gank a little more cautious, probably limiting his maximum ganking potential(kills) where as an aggressive player could gank better for the team, albeit he may die more. Then there is the balanced player, who probably can gank the best in any situation. Given all 3 of these players no how and when to gank, and are capable of playing ganking heroes just fine. I'm sure you all know exactly what I mean.

Well said Captian planet. A good ganker is a person who is commited !

Pu12e

Notable (11)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by wilddeonpwn » October 26, 2012 9:53pm | Report
I'm a good tanker ganker :3

wilddeonpwn

Established (102)
Steam: wilddeonpwn
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » October 27, 2012 1:29am | Report
wilddeonpwn wrote:

"Tanker" doesn't exist, it's either tank either durable. You can use that "tanker" word while playing League of Legends though.
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by wilddeonpwn » October 27, 2012 1:47am | Report
Hades4u wrote:

"Tanker" doesn't exist, it's either tank either durable. You can use that "tanker" word while playing League of Legends though.

Are you seriously going around and correcting everything I say. I know there is no "Tanker", I was making it up... jeez, creativity these days

wilddeonpwn

Established (102)
Steam: wilddeonpwn
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Pu12e » October 29, 2012 8:24am | Report
wilddeonpwn wrote:

What is this tanker ganker of which you speak of?

Pu12e

Notable (11)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by nryn » October 29, 2012 2:24pm | Report
Pu12e wrote:

What is this tanker ganker of which you speak of?

probably one who's not afraid to lose some hp or can take hits and/or the first one to dive during ganks.

nryn

Notable (1)
Steam: rice_in_a_bowl
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Pu12e » October 30, 2012 9:13am | Report
Ah I see. I am a tanker ganker with NS.

Pu12e

Notable (11)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by nryn » October 30, 2012 11:34am | Report
Don't take my word for it. It was just a guess.

nryn

Notable (1)
Steam: rice_in_a_bowl

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved