Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Upvote/Downvote

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Support » Upvote/Downvote 7 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Glayde » August 16, 2012 12:08pm | Report
I think that the guide creators should be able to see who upvoted or downvoted their guide. It's frustrating when you get downvoted for no reason, and nobody leaves a comment.

What are yours ideas about this?

My Hero Guides: Furion
My Ideas for Dota: Iron Guardian, Rafael, the Split Being
Check this out.

Glayde

Notable (13)
Steam: Zephyr
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » August 16, 2012 1:12pm | Report
I agree, this feature is also on MOBAfire, people comment, and above the comment, you can see if he voted positive or negative.
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xenasis » August 16, 2012 2:13pm | Report
Hades4u wrote:

I agree, this feature is also on MOBAfire, people comment, and above the comment, you can see if he voted positive or negative.

Matt doesn't like it on MOBAFire though and was considering removing it at one point. It will likely never reach DotAFire.

It discourages people from downvoting. It can restrict people from speaking their mind if they think they'll be looked down upon for it. Usually people meet your criticism with hostility too if they know you've downvoted their pride and joy.

Though here's some advice, and some insight as to why you may have been downvoted -
Shiva's is terrible on Furion.
Agh and Deso aren't core on Furion whatsoever when so many items work on him.
You don't really need the Mantle (nor Null Talisman) nor Clarities. All it does is slow your bottle.
Midas is close to core on Furion
Arcane Boots should never be considered on Furion
Shadow Blade is only good for initiators, and Furion does not initiate
Butterfly is a terrible, terrible item on him and you should never ever recommend it
Many items missed out - Manta, Heart, MKB, AC

Now, you'll likely throw this back in my face, and disagree with me. You likely won't change any of this. If you do, then somebody else might not do. This is completely fine on your end, of course, you just think differently, but that's why leaving a comment does nothing. The guide creator won't take any note, and all it does is single out the voter. All it does is waste time and restrict voting.

Xenasis

Notable (11)
Steam: Xenasis
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Mowen » August 16, 2012 2:22pm | Report
Forcing people to comment makes people leave useless comments that then are considered "troll votes."

If people are going to give criticism, they will, whether or not they're forced to comment. If people weren't going to they'll just leave a useless comment that will only make you more angry.

It also makes people less likely to vote, if they're forced to leave a comment. We want more votes not less.

I really hate this feature on mobafire, and it has only made everyone think they're entitled to an explanation for every downvote, yet not for upvotes (imagine that). In my opinion it opens up a whole extra world of problems and complaints that I really don't want on this site.

Mowen
<Production Coordinator>

Notable (17)
Steam: Mowen
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Glayde » August 16, 2012 2:47pm | Report
@Xenasis: Thanks for the tips, although its true I disagree on some of the points, I'll take them into consideration and probably edit my guide.

To the rest of you, I see your points regarding this matter. I just feel somewhat discouraged since I spent quite some time on this guide but I have no comments on why it's bad.

Check this out.

Glayde

Notable (13)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dr.D » August 16, 2012 4:32pm | Report
Well, I didn't vote on your guide but I did do a cursory run-through just now and I have a few comments, if you want them:
  • You encourage people to use Wrath of Nature at every cooldown. This is just simply not a good idea. Since, as you mentioned, it only hits visible units, why use it when, say, two out of the three lanes have no enemy creeps in them? Also, using the ult pushes every lane and steals farm from the carry. Sometimes, this can push the wave to the tower and deny even more farm from the carry than you otherwise would have. At the very least, it will mess up the creep equilibrium that any good carry player managed to set up. And finally, a well-timed and well-positioned Furion ult can deal a lot of damage to the enemy team, potentially tipping the scales in your favor.

• Hand of Midas is not all about the gold. The killed unit also provides 2.5x its normal experience. If you use it on a large creep like a Centaur or Furbolg at every cooldown, you can easily keep up in levels while still pushing/ganking/doing whatever.

• You recommend getting Desolator to push, but Maelstrom/ Mjollnir is a much better orb for pushing. Maelstrom + Drum of Endurance will provide comparable damage output on the tower for roughly the same price, while also allowing you to clear creep waves faster. Plus, it has a significantly better buildup than Deso, and adds survivability too.

• Your guide doesn't have the worst formatting I've seen, but it could certainly use some prettying-up, if you know what I mean.

OT: While it would be nice to have I suppose, I can't think of a single way that this feature would help. All it would do is add the potential for more drama, as well as scare newer users from voting (or at least, voting negatively) on a guide.

All in all, if your guide is good, then people will eventually take a look at it. I've seen my guide get downvoted plenty of times for no reason whatsoever, while other guides that aren't even that great rise due to their inflated upvote count. You shouldn't take such things personally, but you should strive to improve nonetheless.

Dr.D
<Formatting Wizard>

Memorable (80)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Glayde » August 17, 2012 8:34am | Report
Alright, thanks guys. I guess I just had too high of an expectation :\ I'll those tips in. Mind.

Check this out.

Glayde

Notable (13)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved