Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Most OP hero

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Most OP hero 73 posts - page 4 of 8
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » March 28, 2013 8:09am | Report
No, I don't consider anyone massively OP, they're all counterable or beatable with the right combination of skill and teamwork. However, in pubs the issue is often that some heroes are difficult to counter, especially if they pick late and/or you don't have the right skillset on your team to do so.

PL I'd put in that camp. The combination of multiple illusions and invisibility is hard to deal with - I don't know any way of picking out the right one without wading in with pretty expensive/long cd abilities and using invis detection - a smart PL might well not use his invis as that is the only way you can pick him out of the crowd.

Medusa or Earthshaker as a counterpick - yeah. Not so convinced about SD or Enchantress - SD is relying on him not already having a bunch of illusions with him, and stealing one illusion isn't really anything to write home about imho.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » March 28, 2013 8:16am | Report

Frankly, I don't highly consider "OP" to heavily exist in Dota as it does in others.

What is conned as OP in the current society is usually one that already has a guaranteed counter.
Phantom Lancer is countered by Shadow Demon, Earthshaker, and even Enchantress if you know that Enchant takes control of his illusions for your own.

Essentially it boils down to little tweaks, stats and minor values. For awhile Phantom Lancer was dubbed a very low tier carry, until the proper heroes where released or incorporated into the meta-game. Lifestealer was becoming popular so a great counter for him was a hero that ruined his purpose of single target. I've always seen him as an effective carry, but he's always been a late-game hero, and his effectiveness early game is terrible unless you have someone like KotL to really allow him to be a threat.

There's actually quite a few ways to counter PL. Medusa, Truesight (Dust/Gem/Sentries), Cleave, and Early Ganking are the most efficient ways. The ones you've mentioned are minor annoyances, that can hinder him. Fighting Phantom Lancer out of lane is also a really helpful technique, since he needs to build up his illusions before he can really engage.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
Steam: RUSH_and_ABUSE
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » March 28, 2013 9:34am | Report
Why is nobody mentionning OD as a counter to PL?He melts him at all stages of the game.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » March 28, 2013 9:36am | Report
The best way to stop late-game carries is to interfer with their early game: I played in a low-skill pub with some friends once, we made an aggressive trilane against Anti-Mage and Ogre Magi (I know it's a ****py lineup, but what whould you expect from pubs?) and we literally stomped them. Our Juggernaut managed to push down the enemy tower while AM decided to farm in mid lane, and from that moment our gold advantage started to increase more and more. They had a Bounty Hunter though, but I kept stealing his Track as a Rubick so we got even more advantage than them as we were doing more kills.

The same thing applies to Phantom Lancer: put a trilane against him (preferably with a ranged carry, but even Heroes like Juggernaut and Lifestealer work) and see how he struggles to get creeps.

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » March 28, 2013 9:54am | Report

The best way to stop late-game carries is to interfer with their early game: I played in a low-skill pub with some friends once, we made an aggressive trilane against Anti-Mage and Ogre Magi (I know it's a ****py lineup, but what whould you expect from pubs?) and we literally stomped them. Our Juggernaut managed to push down the enemy tower while AM decided to farm in mid lane, and from that moment our gold advantage started to increase more and more. They had a Bounty Hunter though, but I kept stealing his Track as a Rubick so we got even more advantage than them as we were doing more kills.

The same thing applies to Phantom Lancer: put a trilane against him (preferably with a ranged carry, but even Heroes like Juggernaut and Lifestealer work) and see how he struggles to get creeps.

Most PLs are in a trilane or with KotL, so another trilane pretty much holds it over. PL has crazy good base damage as he levels up and an escape so he farms relatively safe unless you commit to kills.

Wulfstan wrote:

Why is nobody mentionning OD as a counter to PL?He melts him at all stages of the game.

Because OD isn't a competitive pick and is very situational.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » March 28, 2013 10:10am | Report
xCO2 wrote:

Because OD isn't a competitive pick and is very situational.

Orange->Mushi.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » March 28, 2013 10:21am | Report
Wulfstan wrote:

Orange->Mushi.

Joke is on you, I don't believe in Malaysians.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » March 28, 2013 11:28am | Report
xCO2 wrote:

Joke is on you, I don't believe in Malaysians.

Your argument just got contradicted and you have no logical answer against it.Face it,YOU LOST. ^_^

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » March 28, 2013 11:52am | Report
Wulfstan wrote:

Your argument just got contradicted and you have no logical answer against it.Face it,YOU LOST. ^_^

OD still isn't a common competitive pick. =|

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » March 28, 2013 11:58am | Report
xCO2 wrote:

OD still isn't a common competitive pick. =|

Doesn't need to be common to be effective.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved