Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Yet another rework to Phantom (MMR) Assassin

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Yet another rework to Phantom (MMR) Assassin 31 posts - page 1 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » May 31, 2016 4:24am | Report
* Blur reworked. No longer gives evasion. Instead gives a 5/10/15/20% chance to evade any incoming damage (both physical and magical, like Void's old backtrack), as well as 4/8/12/16% lifesteal. Not an orb effect, stacks perfectly with other UAMs. Still hides PA from the minimap when no enemies are nearby.
Active ability : instantly disjoints any projectile directed at PA, but the passive effects from Blur are lost for 4 seconds when used. No mana cost. 30 second cooldown.

* Coup de Grace now has an active ability on top of the passive crit : for 4/6/8 seconds, whenever PA kills a hero or a hero dies within 250 range of her, Stifling Dagger and Phantom Strike cooldowns are reset. No mana cost. 40/30/20 second cooldown. Can be toggled to activate automatically whenever a hero dies inside the search range. Active ability is disabled by Break as well.

* Strength reduced from 20 + 1.85/level to 16 + 1.6/level

I think those 2 changes to her passives solve essentially all the issues that make her terrible right now. They also make her IMO a much better hero design because she's more skill based : dodging projectiles, and using ult and fast reflexes to get chain kills in teamfights and snowball out of control.

The main reason why PA is so bad right now is because there's no good item build on her since the old helm/BKB/basher build was killed by OSFrog. The change allows for a lot more item options. Desolator is much better on her now because she still has lifesteal that stacks with deso, removing the need for Vlads, and also allowing her to farm jungle better. Butterfly PA is now a thing, and it's well needed because PA needs new item choices since OSFrog killed Abyssal Blade. Now PA has a good item build again : Phase Boots Ring of Aquila into Desolator into Black King Bar. Replaces the good old helm/BKB/Basher perfectly.

* PA is no longer countered by MKB, only by Silver Edge, making her late game way better, therefore making Battle Fury PA finally viable.

So 3 new items (deso, bfury and bfly) on a hero who had no good item whatsoever, more skill and button mashing, and finally some real damage output and balling power.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by michimatsch » May 31, 2016 5:08am | Report
AS a supports right activist I vote against this idea. This new skill set would make people focus squishy supports to just rampage through a team :( .
In all honesty though it seems interesting but it sounds a tad broken. A backtrack+terathiel's skill in one? +Lifsesteal that isn't even an UAM?
Don't get me wrong here. I love the idea and I have no idea about balance (that's what frozen amphibian exists for) I just have a feeling that it would be extremly hard to balance this out.

michimatsch

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (26)
Steam: michimatsch
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » May 31, 2016 6:07am | Report
michimatsch wrote:

AS a supports right activist I vote against this idea. This new skill set would make people focus squishy supports to just rampage through a team :( .

PA has no disable, so Ghost Scepter, Force Staff Glimmer Cape and defensive skills can mitigate that. Supports are extremely hard to focus down these days, so there's very little risk of PA's rampaging through supports unchecked.

Besides, what's even a supports rights activist? Supports got nothing but MASSIVE buffs every single patch for like 10 patches...it's like being an activist for white christians in the US and appearing on Fox news...
Seriously you don't want supports being OP because it makes competitive and high skill games un-fun as hell.

michimatsch wrote:

In all honesty though it seems interesting but it sounds a tad broken. A backtrack+terathiel's skill in one? +Lifsesteal that isn't even an UAM?

Void's backtrack was actually a pretty weak skill. People really don't realize that because it was annoying, but seriously look at the math. With these values, all it does is give PA 25% more effective HP. Compare with the 50% evasion that *doubled* her effective HP against physical.
My new skill scales better, but it's actually much worse in the mid game.

And PA literally lost 100 damage with the abyssal change. Of course she needs a big buff. You need to pull her out of the dumpster...

I nerfed her W and her stats a bit to compensate, maybe it's a bit more fair this way.

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kyphoid returns » May 31, 2016 6:17am | Report
It aint.
Buying an mkb was useless agains backtrack, and always will be.

You are saying that the only two items that can end up countering her are sheep and silver edge.....

#startslowrhythmicclaps
#canceriscoming
Go On, Feed Me.

Kyphoid returns

Remarkable (42)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Safecyn » May 31, 2016 6:58am | Report
Not even Silver Edge: I believe our friend Hamster specifically gave both her passives actives because he loathes that item. :D

Safecyn
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (32)
Steam: Safecyn
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » May 31, 2016 7:02am | Report
Safecyn wrote:

Not even Silver Edge: I believe our friend Hamster specifically gave both her passives actives because he loathes that item. :D

Hamstertamer wrote:

Coup de Grace now has an active ability on top of the passive crit : for 4/6/8 seconds, whenever PA kills a hero or a hero dies within 250 range of her, Stifling Dagger and Phantom Strike cooldowns are reset. No mana cost. 40/30/20 second cooldown. Can be toggled to activate automatically whenever a hero dies inside the search range. Active ability is disabled by Break as well.

Please read what I actually wrote before saying that kind of thing...

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Safecyn » May 31, 2016 7:09am | Report
I reeeally feel like that wasn't there the first time I read that thing, but I suppose I can't prove that. Still applies to Blur, though. :D

Seriously though, Hamster, I know you think PA is garbage right now, but have you given her a shot as a counter to low-armor mid heroes? Against Tinker, Shadow Fiend, Death Prophet... if you pick up an early Blight Stone you can deal massive damage with dagger spam, and getting a Bottle lets you sustain that harass almost limitlessly.

This also lets you play PA as an early game roaming, ganking mid with carry potential who can snowball off of early game damage items like Desolator, making space for the real one position farming in the safelane. It's preferable to sitting around waiting for Kyfrog to add another huge late-game damage item that isn't Divine Rapier.

Safecyn
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (32)
Steam: Safecyn
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » May 31, 2016 7:32am | Report
Safecyn wrote:

I reeeally feel like that wasn't there the first time I read that thing, but I suppose I can't prove that.

...please. Wanting to be right no matter what, really?

Blur active is ultra-situational so it doesn't really change anything if it gets disabled by break or not. If you hit her with SE at melee range, she can't dodge your stun anyways, so removing her ability to do it is irrelevant.

Safecyn wrote:

Seriously though, Hamster, I know you think PA is garbage right now, but have you given her a shot as a counter to low-armor mid heroes? Against Tinker, Shadow Fiend, Death Prophet... if you pick up an early Blight Stone you can deal massive damage with dagger spam, and getting a Bottle lets you sustain that harass almost limitlessly.

The harass with the new dagger is worse than the harass with the old dagger, Blight Stone or not. I actually did tests on that one, even against low armor heroes.

Besides, PA gets dumpstered mid by Tinker, DP or SF...these matchups aren't even a contest.

Safecyn wrote:

This also lets you play PA as an early game roaming, ganking mid with carry potential who can snowball off of early game damage items like Desolator, making space for the real one position farming in the safelane. It's preferable to sitting around waiting for Kyfrog to add another huge late-game damage item that isn't Divine Rapier.

What's preferable right now is to never pick this horrible hero and pick a real snowball carry instead. It's not like you lack options.

Besides, the issue isn't even that her late game isn't good enough, it's that her early/mid game is actually much worse than it used to be because of the indirect nerfs. So saying "play her for the early-mid game" is not the solution, it's actually the main part of the problem.

And Desolator PA is essentially a watered down Clinkz, and prevents buying Satanic, one of her best items.

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kyphoid returns » May 31, 2016 7:49am | Report
Hamstertamer wrote:

Blur active is ultra-situational so it doesn't really change anything if it gets disabled by break or not. If you hit her with SE at melee range, she can't dodge your stun anyways, so removing her ability to do it is irrelevant.

So you render your own hypothesis useless by saying that you gave her an irrelevant ability?

Hamstertamer wrote:

The harass with the new dagger is worse than the harass with the old dagger, Blight Stone or not. I actually did tests on that one, even against low armor heroes.

Besides, PA gets dumpstered mid by Tinker, DP or SF...these matchups aren't even a contest

Show and tell.

Maths is all things matey.
Go On, Feed Me.

Kyphoid returns

Remarkable (42)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » May 31, 2016 7:58am | Report

So you render your own hypothesis useless by saying that you gave her an irrelevant ability?

Did you even read what I said?

I said that removing PA's ability to dodge stuns with break changes very little because if you get to melee range to apply SE on her she can't use the active to dodge your stun in the first place.

Essentially it doesn't change much whether blur active gets removed by break or not, so I don't see how that's a question in the first place or why anybody should be nitpicking on that...

Did you just say that the ability to dodge stuns is irrelevant? Because I most certainly never said that.

Show and tell.

Maths is all things matey.

Nope, because this would be off topic.

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved