Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Viper in Competitive Dota?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Viper in Competitive Dota? 27 posts - page 2 of 3
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by John Zoidberg » October 1, 2013 7:33am | Report
Xyrus wrote:

The problem is, in competetive Dota, you're not going to catch people out of position much, since they know better than to be easy prey.

Again, most competetive players wouldn't make the mistake of going anywhere near Viper when their HP is low, they'd heal up before getting back in his range.

It isn't that effective against Heroes who can spam Burst Damage Spells though, like Puck or Storm Spirit, as you'l end up taking more damage than them. Also, without Viper's Ult, Silencer could just spam Last Word and shut you down completely with ease, and even when you have the Ult, you need something to use it on to avoid the Disarm.

Gankers require Burst Damage to be effective, something that Viper lacks. If you can't take an enemy down fast enough, their teammates will rush in to save him, and all it takes is a single Stun to turn the fight around, as once his Ult is used, Viper can only Right-Click, whereas most Gankers have 2 or 3 Nukes and maybe a Disable for taking you down with.

You might deal a little damage to them, but Viper will be the one taking the most punishment in competetive games.

His Orb might make him a useful Aggressive Tri-lane Semi-Carry, as he can harrass enemies under the Tower by Orb-Walking, making it hard for them to farm. other than that, his skillset is extremely limited (1 Orb, 2 Passives and 1 Active Skill) and he scales terribly into the Late Game, meaning if he doesn't Snowball from the start, he'll become useless quite quickly.

Beautiful post, explained everything I needed to know. Thanks man ;)

John Zoidberg

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » October 1, 2013 8:17am | Report

Beautiful post, explained everything I needed to know. Thanks man ;)

You're welcome, +rep if you like my Text Walls ;D

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Pu12e » October 1, 2013 9:26am | Report
Atlas wrote:

He relies on his ulti for like 50-75% of damage in ganks, if they don't run... well he then relies on allies to do damage, which isn't bad since Rupture will force them to stay in one spot, but you can see where it would be better if he had a nuke to couple with his ult.

This is why Dagon is essential on him. It gives him that extra damage to pick off heroes. It helps secure kills for him which in turn would get him some life back. Early Dagon on Bloodseeker is key.

Pu12e

Notable (11)
Steam: Pu12e
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ancient Hero » October 1, 2013 12:16pm | Report
You dont need dagon on him, nethertoxin gives alot of extra damage along with his ulti.

Ancient Hero
<Editor>

Notable (17)
Steam: smiles
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Pu12e » October 1, 2013 5:29pm | Report
Ancient Hero wrote:

You dont need dagon on him, nethertoxin gives alot of extra damage along with his ulti.

Dagon gives Viper a greater mana pool and more effective damage. I think that it is a great itme and actually should be a core item on him. People above said that later game he does not snowbvall like other heroes do. Maybe that Dagon is all he needs to give him that extra push into Late game.

Opinions?

Pu12e

Notable (11)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by John Zoidberg » October 1, 2013 5:30pm | Report
Pu12e wrote:

This is why Dagon is essential on him. It gives him that extra damage to pick off heroes. It helps secure kills for him which in turn would get him some life back. Early Dagon on Bloodseeker is key.

I know you're more experienced than me and all... But it seems like a dagon is essential on every hero, if I follow what you say...

John Zoidberg

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Vash » October 1, 2013 5:42pm | Report

I know you're more experienced than me and all... But it seems like a dagon is essential on every hero, if I follow what you say...

Dagon actually might have some effective use here, because of the fact that Nethertoxin potency increases the more the opponent's health decreases. Having that extra push at the start really would give Viper an edge in an engagement.

That being said, Dagon is extremely expensive, and costly to use. Your money and mana would be better spent on a Shadow Blade or Black King Bar and just use his abilities.
"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that." - Vash the Stampede

Lest we forget...

Vash

Notable (10)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by R-Conqueror » October 1, 2013 7:17pm | Report
Quoted:

Quoted:
He plays every hero with Dagon.

#killsecure

I'm starting an intervention campaign for Pu12e's dagons :D
I got to Notable, Thanks!
Check out my carrying guide: http://www.dotafire.com/dota-2/guide/alchemist-shrugged-a-carrying-guide-8022

R-Conqueror

Remarkable (24)
Steam: R-Conqueror
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Pu12e » October 1, 2013 7:47pm | Report
R-Conqueror wrote:

#killsecure

I'm starting an intervention campaign for Pu12e's dagons :D

R-Conqueror . . . I love you.

Pu12e

Notable (11)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by R-Conqueror » October 2, 2013 10:43am | Report
Pu12e wrote:

R-Conqueror . . . I love you.

Awww now I feel all special :D
I got to Notable, Thanks!
Check out my carrying guide: http://www.dotafire.com/dota-2/guide/alchemist-shrugged-a-carrying-guide-8022

R-Conqueror

Remarkable (24)
Steam: R-Conqueror
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved