Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Underused Items

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Underused Items 24 posts - page 2 of 3
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by lovelygwynn » January 25, 2013 5:04pm | Report
atos shiva's tinker is fun. it allows you to have a pseudo-sheepstick.

but veil of discord,its really good on any hero who casts many spells quickly. lina,lion,shadow fiend (if you are going more casting, its a legit build)

lovelygwynn

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Vash » January 25, 2013 10:14pm | Report
Necronomicon and Smoke of Deceit are 2 items that don't get much use in Pub match, sadly. But undoubtedly, as soon as I post this tons of people will be smoke ganked and then flame my post. -_-
"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that." - Vash the Stampede

Lest we forget...

Vash

Notable (10)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Pearberr » March 5, 2013 4:15pm | Report
Vash wrote:

Necronomicon and Smoke of Deceit are 2 items that don't get much use in Pub match, sadly. But undoubtedly, as soon as I post this tons of people will be smoke ganked and then flame my post. -_-

In my 300 or so games of the Beta, I have literally NEVER seen a smoke gank for or against my team.

That said Necro is probably one of my favorite items on any pusher. Probably won 75% of the games I've bought it.

Pearberr

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ancient Hero » March 5, 2013 4:42pm | Report
Necronomicon on a lycanthorpe is hilarious since his ulti gives them max movespeed as well. Smoke is never used cus there is no teamwork. In cm matches or with parties, smokes can be used.
rod of atos is an item you never see.

Ancient Hero
<Editor>

Notable (17)
Steam: smiles
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Atlas » March 5, 2013 6:57pm | Report
I use Smoke in pubs quite often when I'm a support or ganker. You just have to buy it, it's not even the teamwork factor. Once you buy it, just tell your team and they'll group up for it.

You can use Smoke for a lot more than just ganking though. For instance, if you're in the late laning stage and you're up against a Brewmaster, if you're squishy enough they will often use their Clap on you, whack you once or twice, then ulti and dive tower for the kill. If you have smoke, use it as soon as he ulties and this can save you and any nearby teammates from him. This is also good to have against Zeus. If you get away from a fight with low hp, enough for Zeus to pop you with his ultimate, just use Smoke and he will only reveal you. No damage done. Same goes for plenty of long range nukes. Tinker rockets? Just smoke. Natures Prophet ultimate? Just smoke.

Also, if you're a support, use smoke to place wards. You'll instantly know if you're in trouble, especially against invis heroes like Nyx and Bounty Hunter and you can have a chance to get away. It's also useful for ganking them. As soon as your smoke gets disrupted but there are no enemies nearby? Pop dust and you can see that Riki standing at your feet.

As for underused items, I would say Heaven's Halberd is #1 on the list. It's such a great item for Strength carries to have. It gives you 25% evasion, strength, damage, and the active disarms an enemy. This allows a strength carry to even be able to go toe-to-toe with agility carries later on in the game, it's fantastic, and cheap too! Even if you're not a carry, but a semi-carry or strength support you can greatly benefit your team with a Heaven's Halberd by shutting down an enemy carry.

Atlas
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (117)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Vash » March 5, 2013 11:15pm | Report
Ancient Hero wrote:

rod of atos is an item you never see.

I think a lot has to do with the price. Rod of Atos is asking players to throw down 3100 for a slow that is mainly an offensive tool and int/health stats. It's perfect for Outworld Devourer because all the stats are exactly what he wants and the active is perfect for his play style. However, Force Staff is a much cheaper item and can be used offensively as well as defensively on any target you choose. Perhaps if dev team patched the item to produce an aoe slow (say 150 radius), Atos might be picked up more often.
"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that." - Vash the Stampede

Lest we forget...

Vash

Notable (10)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by FOSTATA » March 18, 2013 4:16am | Report
Atlas wrote:

I use Smoke in pubs quite often when I'm a support or ganker. You just have to buy it, it's not even the teamwork factor. Once you buy it, just tell your team and they'll group up for it.

You can use Smoke for a lot more than just ganking though. For instance, if you're in the late laning stage and you're up against a Brewmaster, if you're squishy enough they will often use their Clap on you, whack you once or twice, then ulti and dive tower for the kill. If you have smoke, use it as soon as he ulties and this can save you and any nearby teammates from him. This is also good to have against Zeus. If you get away from a fight with low hp, enough for Zeus to pop you with his ultimate, just use Smoke and he will only reveal you. No damage done. Same goes for plenty of long range nukes. Tinker rockets? Just smoke. Natures Prophet ultimate? Just smoke.

Also, if you're a support, use smoke to place wards. You'll instantly know if you're in trouble, especially against invis heroes like Nyx and Bounty Hunter and you can have a chance to get away. It's also useful for ganking them. As soon as your smoke gets disrupted but there are no enemies nearby? Pop dust and you can see that Riki standing at your feet.

As for underused items, I would say Heaven's Halberd is #1 on the list. It's such a great item for Strength carries to have. It gives you 25% evasion, strength, damage, and the active disarms an enemy. This allows a strength carry to even be able to go toe-to-toe with agility carries later on in the game, it's fantastic, and cheap too! Even if you're not a carry, but a semi-carry or strength support you can greatly benefit your team with a Heaven's Halberd by shutting down an enemy carry.

Last month I've seen random people use smokes in pubs for most of the purposes you mentioned. I guess it takes a while for such things to become common practice. Back in the day buying wards was considered an extravagant approach...

Thumbs up for halberd. Medallion is also somewhat underused in pubs too.

FOSTATA

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fjuben » May 27, 2013 3:36am | Report
i have seen heavens halberd used on keeper of the light fiairly frequently, or atleast compared to rod of atos. and i feel like halberd is a solid choice over atos because it gives a quite a bit survivability through the strength and evasion as well as the disarm you can use on the enemy carry rendering him pretty much useless whereas the atos is pretty much only useful for catching heroes out of position(which it is very good at however) as well has the flat hp.

Fjuben

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sp12 » May 27, 2013 8:50am | Report
I'd say over 1/3rd of my pub games have smoke in them.

Halberd? Not so much.
Feel free to check out my guides for Spectre, Dragon Knight, Siren, Medusa, Sniper, Disruptor, or Void. They're pretty cool.

Sp12

Remarkable (25)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Entenei » May 28, 2013 2:10am | Report
I must admit, When I play Enchantress I do get both halberd (strength helps me stay alive and the disarm helps me "support" my team - the damage is always useful and the evasion helps me stay alive) and the Dust (just being able to hide me and my 'friends' lets me get ganks most times.)

as for the rod and the veil, I personally think for most heroes there are better other items that are cheaper or do a better job.. Ive gotten a rod once i think, when I wasnt actually able to save the money for a sheep stick and people kept getting away. and a veil on a support when i had alot of magic nukers in the party to help them do extra damage.

Entenei

Notable (2)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved