Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Think I Fixed Chaos Knight

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Think I Fixed Chaos Knight 20 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » August 5, 2015 12:07pm | Report
So I theory crafted here a bit. We all know that Chaos Knight's problem is no farming ability and long dowtime. Now I have an idea, Hand of Midas into straight Octarine Core (Boots inbetween). Early Phantasm isn't exactly very great. Although the 50% bonus illusion chance is nice, we still want reliable damage output, and Hand of Midas grants him a boost to XPm as well.

Octarine Core could help him farm fster as well, he can push towers with less downtime, he can even use it for pickoffs and of course teamfighting as well. Sure, maybe Octarine Core isnt a better damage booster than Armlet of Mordiggian, but it will help him in the long term as well.

Any thoights?
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by tracc » August 6, 2015 5:14am | Report
it doesnt suit him imo. the illusions will be weaker that way.
armlet costs 50% of core. You might get it as a luxury 6th slot if you have usable items in you inventory, but not like that imo

tracc

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Cuttleboss » August 6, 2015 7:57am | Report
It seems like it might work, especially if you are not Position 1, and Octarine is something you want to pick up on CK eventually anyway, since his downtime is so killer if enemies disengage.

However, it still requires an insane amount of space and time in order to use it, it's like Diamond and Pearl up in here for a hero that is destroyed by his own massive downtime late game. The other issue is the lack of wave clear. He has none initially, Midas and Octarine give him little because it doesn't boost his damage and barely boosts his attack speed, so it also slows your farm rate down compared to the stand. My standard of (Soul Ring), Dominator, Armlet, Manta gives attack speed, attack damage, and some manfight for enemies manage who find you, and overall, gives a decent farm rate that is underrated, mainly because most CKs spend too much time ganking and forget to farm.

An alternative build that I think might work better is Battle Fury, something I used to scoff at on the hero until it beat me a few times. Basically, because the hero has a built in crit, with dominator, he can stack his ancients and farm them with ease. If you have space and time, it's a viable way to play the hero so that he may farm at a good rate and go into late game well, and even get an Octarine later.

Midas on him rarely seems to work out. It can be the mana issues he has, it can be his greater focus on snowballing, or it can be him not using levels or raw attack speed as well as other midas carriers like Invoker or Faceless Void. I'm not sure, but when I see it on CK, it is almost always an auto-lose.

If you want to Midas into Octarine build, OD is a good candidate, he farms slowly, but he benefits from bonus attack speed to speed it up, and getting an early Octarine is actually viable on him so you can make a reduced CD Midas useful on him due to his massive stat growth and reliance on getting all his skill points as soon as possible. That is, if you have the space and time (like this one time I did it against a techies).

Cuttleboss
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by apaz » August 10, 2015 4:31pm | Report
I like Octarine, but perhaps after Drums and/or Armlet. Until you've got Octarine and two or three other items, you're going to be useless. I do think it could fix him though, but is it worth the 5900 gold?

My newest guide:

Picking up Skywrath

apaz

Notable (17)
Steam: apaz
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Blubbles » August 10, 2015 4:40pm | Report
Wait so when you build Oct. on illusion heroes does it give you HP from the damage the illusions do? Or is it just for tanking and reductions?
Mood of the Day

-_-

Blubbles

Notable (13)
Steam: Axolotl
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fedorable » August 10, 2015 5:13pm | Report
The whole point of Chaos Knight is to snowball via farming heroes and overpower the enemy carry that way. The problem with rushing Octarine Core is twofold: First, Chaos Knight has no way of farming it whereas popular octo-core heroes like Leshrac, Zeus and Naga Siren do have the means of farming it. Second, octo-core doesn't do a whole lot for CK besides cooldown reduction, it doesn't give him dmaag

Furthermore, midas makes no sense on CK since he's not a farming carry like Spectre or Faceless Void, he's more like Clinkz and Slark in that he's a ganker that snowballs into a hard carry.

The thing with Phantasm is that you want to skill it at levels 10 and 11, since you won't have the mana for all three of your spells at level 6. Also, there are other items that you can build on CK that do more for him for way less gold:
- Soul Ring solves all your mana problems in the early game and allow you to go early kills
- Drum of Endurance is a cheap stat item that give a boost to move speed, mana pool and damage and it has an easy build up.
- Manta Style gives more move speed, damage and most of all, more up time for illusions.
-Heart/ Satanic/ Eye of Skadi are all good on CK since they give health and damage, making you and you illusion hit harder and harder to kill.

My usual build progression looks like this: Soul Ring>Plain Boots>Drum>Armlet> Power Treads> Manta Style>Either Heart/ Satanic/ Assault Cuirass/ Black King Bar.

Finally, by the time you do get around getting the gold for a core, the outcome of the game is usually decided.

Fedorable
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (23)
Steam: Fedorable
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KEEP CALM AND FEED » August 10, 2015 5:20pm | Report
Wait!
When do you ever have the luxury to get six slotted as CK?
You dont.
Just get armlet heart BKB and end the damn game. Thats why you were there in the first place.

KEEP CALM AND FEED

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (15)
Steam: KEEP CALM AND FEED
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by DotAer » August 18, 2015 3:48am | Report
I prefer Armlet and Manta style on him instead. It can be problematic mana-wise though it gives him a bit more up time since he still hits like a truck with the illusion from manta style. It also provides him with damage, attack speed, and movement speed. It's also great to combine manta with Phantasm.

Octarine Core and Hand of Midas doesn't really benefit him well as like other said he's more of the guy who runs around killing instead of spending 20-30 mins farming up items hence making these 2 items feel a bit out of place. It's also not very great on him considering the price of the items.

DotAer

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » August 18, 2015 10:43am | Report
Chaos Knight broken? How come?

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » August 18, 2015 11:51am | Report
Wulfstan wrote:

Chaos Knight broken? How come?

Who are you quoting?
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved