Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Sange and Yasha- Underpowered, or just Ignored?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Sange and Yasha- Underpowered, or just Ignored? 39 posts - page 4 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » December 19, 2013 12:48am | Report
I honestly would only get S&Y on slark, maybe ursa and maybe racecar lifestealer if im snowballing and dont need basher.
Its actually a ****ty item to get late in the game.
Becouse it only gives 32 damage, so little it can be ignored post 30 minutes. and decent attack speed. But no active skill and just a not so usefull slow.

To be honest i would rather get a heavens halberd on razor. Becouse it gives a great active, no attack speed but MUCH more survivability.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by L0bstz0r » December 19, 2013 5:20am | Report
I dont understand why so many people suggest to get SnY for Razor. Those 32 damage SnY provides can be obtained ...by what, 2 seconds of Static Link? Razor doesnt need to build ANY damage items at all if you ask me, as he can conveniently leech it from the enemy. As for tankiness.....why the hell spend 4100 gold for SnY if you can have Black King Bar for less or an Aghanim's Scepter for approximately the same price?

L0bstz0r

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: L0bstz0r
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » December 19, 2013 5:50am | Report
It has its place on Razor, he's a chasing hero so the extra movement speed is very useful - in fact it's often the difference between getting a kill or not. Combined with extra damage/attack speed, HP and a slow. It's a lot of things he needs in a neat, easy to assemble package. Yes, the slow is unreliable, but usually deadly if it does land, and it's 30% attack speed slow makes it effective against enemy carries too.

Yes, he can steal a lot of damage, but having some up front, plus some extra attack speed is pretty handy. The best thing is that you can make it into a Manta Style and Heaven's Halberd later. Both great items, but not worth rushing imho. TBH that's how I think of SNY now - it's an intermediate item on the way to these late game ones (e.g. like a Mystic Staff or Ultimate Orb), and a pretty handy one at that.

The alternatives are Black King Bar and Desolator - good protection, and a bit of extra damage, or a lot of extra damage, but low survivability.

Personally, my build on him is usually -> Ring of Aquila -> Phase Boots -> Drum of Endurance -> Yasha -> Sange -> Black King Bar -> Desolator -> Manta Style -> Heaven's Halberd. Obviously the BKB timing does depend on opposition, and sometimes I might even go for an Aghanim's Scepter or Blade Mail.

As the game progresses you really can't presume you're going to be able to steal damage, especially off their carries - between Manta Style and Black King Bar smart players will wait for you to link and then cancel it on you, leaving you waiting on the cooldown while the fight rages. Bad Times.

As you can see, I like my Razor with lots of movement speed and stats. His natural str/agi growth isn't great, but some suitable items can help fill the gap.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by L0bstz0r » December 19, 2013 6:23am | Report
Static Link goes through magic immunity and cant be purged....one of the main reasons why razor is a popular pick vs Lifestealer for instance. I cant say for sure if the link can get broken by Manta Style but even if, the negative damage isnt purged! Movement speed sure is good for razor but that really much is the only thing SnY provides for razor, as there are (as i already said) better options for either damage or survivability.

I usually build Ring of Aquila > Phase Boots > Aghanim's Scepter > Black King Bar > Butterfly. If it is required i might also build the BKB earlier. I think that Razor is more of an Anti-carry than an actual carry himself, so i like to build him more of a teamfight-powerhouse who can deal tremendous amounts of dmg in the shortest time possible with his Eye of the Storm, which makes Sange and Yasha pretty much redundant.

L0bstz0r

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » December 19, 2013 7:19am | Report
The last time I remember running into it, Static Link still worked through magic immunity, but only if you attached before they activated it - although I think this may well have changed in a recent patch so that you can target it even when they're magic immune.

Have definitely seen Manta Style break Static Link when activated (again a while ago), not sure if it debuffs the damage loss or not, but they can break it quickly and limit the amount transfered. Then it's 25 seconds before you can use it again :(

Nothing wrong with your build, it's more a change of emphasis - I play him very much as an aggressive, snowballing ganker. With +16% movement from Unstable Current, 16% from SNY and 5-10% from Drum of Endurance there are very few people who can escape you. It also means you can both keep the link active AND attack them as you're so fast. The stats from these items bulk out your damage and HP to keep you alive and dangerous.

It sounds like you play him as much more of a teamfight hero - big damage output from Eye of the Storm and Black King Bar to keep you attacking.

Neither is right or wrong, just different. SNY is a much better item than it was (back when you got no extra bonuses and couldnt make it into anything else), and is worth considering sometimes now.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » December 19, 2013 8:31am | Report
I adapt my items according to how much health or damage ill need. If i need to carry a game ill get deso. If not i might get scepter. If i need BKB ill get one.
A casual point booster is pretty cost efficient btw, last game i got one, and i felt like getting deso, if im in a side lane ill usually get drums. Since you are a lower level and will have less HP.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » December 19, 2013 3:32pm | Report
L0bstz0r wrote:

I dont understand why so many people suggest to get SnY for Razor. Those 32 damage SnY provides can be obtained ...by what, 2 seconds of Static Link? Razor doesnt need to build ANY damage items at all if you ask me, as he can conveniently leech it from the enemy. As for tankiness.....why the hell spend 4100 gold for SnY if you can have Black King Bar for less or an Aghanim's Scepter for approximately the same price?

L0bstz0r wrote:

Static Link goes through magic immunity and cant be purged....one of the main reasons why razor is a popular pick vs Lifestealer for instance. I cant say for sure if the link can get broken by Manta Style but even if, the negative damage isnt purged! Movement speed sure is good for razor but that really much is the only thing SnY provides for razor, as there are (as i already said) better options for either damage or survivability.

Phase Boots + Yasha are taken solely for Movement Speed (you can skip Sange, it's just a better upgrade than Manta Style since he doesn't benefit from Illusions), as this is the best method of keeping alongside enemies so they can't get away from Static Link, or Eye of the Storm. This may be it's only use, but it's the only way to keep up with more Mobile Heroes, e.g. Lifestealer with Phase Boots + Drum of Endurance + Yasha/ Manta Style.

A Drum of Endurance doesn't provide enough MS to Chase reliably, and a Blink Dagger is no good since you want to stay close rather than just get close.

Without Yasha's extra Movement Speed, it's easy to break Static Link by Stunning/Slowing Razor, then running away from him. With it, the other Team is forced to direct more attention to you, which imo is a good thing, since I play Razor as a Tank <3

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by L0bstz0r » December 23, 2013 2:59am | Report
i see what you mean. And i even agree with you saying, that Yasha is a great item - as a matter of fact its also one of my favorite mid-game items to rush. The initial question however is, if SnY (!) is a good idea on razor, with which i totally disagree.

Furthermore its not that easy to break Static Link just by stacking Movement speed. Just remember that Unstable Current alone gets you more MS than Drum of Endurance + Yasha (if you dont count actives that is)

L0bstz0r

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » December 23, 2013 5:39am | Report
L0bstz0r wrote:

Furthermore its not that easy to break Static Link just by stacking Movement speed. Just remember that Unstable Current alone gets you more MS than Drum of Endurance + Yasha (if you dont count actives that is)

True, but more Movement Speed never hurts, with Phase Boots (activated) and Unstable Current Maxed, you have 455.4 Movement Speed, add a Yasha, and that makes 489.9. You're not always going to need it, but it will make the difference against a Hero that can move at Max Speed (520-something), e.g. Weaver, Dark Seer, Haste Rune etc.

As for Drum of Endurance I take that for the Stats more than the Movement Speed
L0bstz0r wrote:

i see what you mean. And i even agree with you saying, that Yasha is a great item - as a matter of fact its also one of my favorite mid-game items to rush. The initial question however is, if SnY (!) is a good idea on razor, with which i totally disagree.

It's not so much whether " Sange and Yasha is a good idea?" as much as "Is Manta Style the better upgrade for Razor?" imo.

With Manta Style, you get the Purge Debuffs and the 0.1 second Invulnerability. These are pretty useful, but the other bonuses of Manta are wasted on Razor, he doesn't make much use of the extra Agility or Intelligence, and Illusions can only use Unstable Current. Not really worth the Gold unless you're desperate for the Purge imo, and even then you'll be using more Mana for the Active's Cost than you gain from the Item itself.

With Sange and Yasha you get 6% extra Movement Speed and 6 extra Strength for 950 Gold less. Greater Maim isn't particularly good on Razor, but it still seems like a better upgrade for him than Manta Style in my opinion.

I'm not saying you should always upgrade your Yasha, but sometimes, you'll find you have leftover Gold to do it.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved