Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Position 4 Morphling?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Position 4 Morphling? 15 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yzreel » May 30, 2014 5:14am | Report
Like the offlane KOTL, this question comes into my mind when I was playing Morphling the other day. First off, forget EVERYTHING about other heroes (there are better supports and such), I want to only focus on Morphling supporting role as position 4 based on the strength part of him. Unlike Agility-based play that focus on DPS, this role focus on tanking team damage and saving allies with a three seconds stun Adaptive Strike and his capability to always accompanying them with Replicate, using only agility for split pushing
My hero ideas
Yzreel Hero Arsenal

Yzreel

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (30)
Steam: Yzreel
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » May 30, 2014 6:20am | Report
It is an interesting concept, a 3 second Reliable Stun is good but it's only 0.75 seconds at lvl2, the other downside being you only have Morph Strength at lvl1?

Having built in mobility from Waveform and Replcate removes any need for a Blink Dagger to land Adaptive Strike and gives you 2 Escape Mechanisms...

Thanks to Morphing Strength, you'll only be lacking Armour and Mana.

It is interesting, but I can't help but feel that most Offlaners would take advantage of such a weak Position 4 during the 1st couple of minutes to secure their Farm and Exp, and that this would inevitably lead to a stronger Lane overall for them, outweighing the benefits a Support Morphling would give later on.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by jawbreaker261 » May 30, 2014 8:15am | Report
Full STR leaves you with terrible armor and you really aren't that much tankier as a result.

Though the main problem is that he's bad (very bad) in lane and doesn't gank well at low levels either.

If you want to run a "utility" morph, better to run as an offlane IMO.

jawbreaker261

Notable (4)
Steam: jawbreaker261
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yzreel » May 30, 2014 1:29pm | Report

Full STR leaves you with terrible armor and you really aren't that much tankier as a result.

Actually, that is sort of untrue. Say, a Morphling has 40 strength and 50 agility, what happens if he shifts his points to 15 agi and 75 strength compared to 85 strength and 15 agi / without morphing anything. The calculation bellow is based on 1.4 base armor (all decimals are approximate), and counted as 6% EHP increase/armor.

The format is as follows: strength agility = total HP, total armor = total HP * effective HP percentage = result effective HP (too lazy to code)

40 50 = 910, 8.5 = 910 * (100+(6*8.5) = 1374
15 75 = 475, 10.7 = 475 * (100+(6*10.7)) = 778
85 15 = 1765, 3.5 = 1765 * (100+(6*3.5)) = 2135

We can see here that actually strength Morphling has increased EHP by A LOT compared to agility Morphling, especially against magic

Though the main problem is that he's bad (very bad) in lane and doesn't gank well at low levels either.

If you want to run a "utility" morph, better to run as an offlane IMO.

Xyrus wrote:

It is an interesting concept, a 3 second Reliable Stun is good but it's only 0.75 seconds at lvl2, the other downside being you only have Morph Strength at lvl1?

It is interesting, but I can't help but feel that most Offlaners would take advantage of such a weak Position 4 during the 1st couple of minutes to secure their Farm and Exp, and that this would inevitably lead to a stronger Lane overall for them, outweighing the benefits a Support Morphling would give later on.

Both of you presents the greatest weakness of Morphling support that I actually thought about, but hey, Jawbreaker apparently put a valid point! What about rather than position 4, he is better as position 3 instead? I mean, he has Waveform and can be hard to kill / durable enough with Morph. All he needs to do is syphon some levels and then he's good to go!

Xyrus wrote:

Having built in mobility from Waveform and Replicate removes any need for a Blink Dagger to land Adaptive Strike and gives you 2 Escape Mechanisms...

Thanks to Morphing Strength, you'll only be lacking Armour and Mana.

My points exactly! He might actually be the best chaser/saver disabler in the game if done properly! Think about it like this: Waveform+Replicate+Adaptive Strike can actually have 1000+1500+900 range at level 16, which means that you can save a friend / disable a unit that is 3400 range away from you (!!!!!!!), or is 1000+700+600 range at level 6 (with one point only in adaptive strike), which is 2300 (still pretty crazy actually) or 2500 if you take three levels of adaptive strike, which is the same as level 3 Assassinate
My hero ideas
Yzreel Hero Arsenal

Yzreel

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (30)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by manic_e » June 1, 2014 11:57pm | Report
I remember some commentators talking about this a while ago, they seemed to think it was pretty legit. I've fancied trying it myself but haven't worked up the bottle to do it yet.

manic_e

Notable (6)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yzreel » April 4, 2015 7:01pm | Report
I'm really sorry about me necroing this (if any mod doesn't feel it's appropriate, feel free to lock the thread).

It's just that lately this idea has been much more real even in competitive scene, as seen here. I think this is because of the 4.25 second stun buff (this is really crazy, it really needs to be nerfed IMO).

Nonetheless, what I really want to say is:

IT IS REAL!!! I AM THE PROPHET THAT SAW THIS FROM A YEAR AWAY!!

:P

Anyway, any of you interested to talk about this topic?
My hero ideas
Yzreel Hero Arsenal

Yzreel

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (30)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » April 4, 2015 7:29pm | Report
Me!

I play support morph all the time.

Tranquils + Soul RIng is pretty good.

Eul's is good, BLink dagger is also good.

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by armc3j » April 4, 2015 8:17pm | Report
I played a support Morphling game a couple days ago. The main thing is to build Tranquil Boots plus Soul Ring, then buy utility items that provide armor, such as Shiva's Guard. You don't actually need that much items though
when a thing is done, it's done. Don't look back.

armc3j

Notable (3)
Steam: .Elusive
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by YellulzQuiet » April 5, 2015 4:26am | Report
Euls scepter is needed for the mana regen

YellulzQuiet

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » April 5, 2015 11:44am | Report
YellulzQuiet wrote:

Euls scepter is needed for the mana regen

Soul Ring is enough to sustain your Mana Pool if you're using them both wisely. I cry every time I see someone building Eul's for "Mana Regen" or "Movement Speed". T-T

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved