Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Mask of Madness

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Mask of Madness 17 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fedorable » December 22, 2014 9:55am | Report
If you've played in pubs, then you've certainly seen players build Mask of Madness.
Before I begin, here are some facts about Mask of Madness I dug up on dotabuff.com:
-It is the 17th most used item this month (27th most used item of all time).
-It is the most used lifesteal item this most (and the 2nd most used lifesteal item of all time).
-It is the most popular item on Faceless Void, Sven (If you exclude Power Treads) and Spirit Breaker (It would the most used item on both Sniper and Drow Ranger, if it weren't for Shadow Blade and Power Treads.
-All of the things Morbid Mask builds into, Mask of Madness is the cheapest and easiest to build (costs 1800 gold and only requires a recipe in addition to the Morbid Mask.

So, here's what I want to know: if this item is indeed a situational one, what situations does it shine in and also, why is it that squishy right-click heroes like Sniper and Drow Ranger treat this item as if were a core item? Even when there's a Lina on the enemy team, with an Aghanim's Scepter...

Oh, and I'll just leave this here...

Fedorable
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (23)
Steam: Fedorable
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by MrLocket » December 22, 2014 10:31am | Report
I'm actually fine with Mask of Madness, it's a high risk high reward item and very devastating if used correctly, what I can't really stand is Shadow Blade. I have seem SB on Rubick, Anti-Mage, Phantom Assassin, and more.

It's a not so cost-effective item that can easily countered by dust and wards. 1 SB in a team is fine but pubbers tends to go 2~3 SB in the same team, even sometimes there is a Riki in their team.
My face -> ( / *3*)/

MrLocket

Notable (16)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sinured » December 22, 2014 10:46am | Report
There is much to say about the legendary Mask of Madness.

To answer your question first: In pubs Mask of Madness is built because of the greed. You appears red and attacks fast and have nice lifesteal.
But to make this item useful in teamfights you need a coordinated team and perfect positioning. In pro teams this is mostly given while in pub is everybody doing on his own and you lack the skill to avoid the enemy. Therefore kuroky etc. picks it up and can work with it well.
Because another reason to pick Mask of Madness is the fact its the most cost efficient farming tool. But players tend to forget or underwhelms this.

To summ up: Its the right pickup if you can deal damage with it quit uncontested and you can benefit greatly from farming with it at the early/ midgame

Sinured

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (2)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sanvitch » December 22, 2014 1:34pm | Report
It's an extremely efficient farming item (Which is extremely important to a Hero like Faceless Void), and it is just generally a very cost efficient way of upping your damage for early-mid game fighting.

Squishy right clickers like Sniper and Drow Ranger are both heroes where bad positioning means you are dead/useless in fights anyway, and thus the increase in damage you take isn't as key compared to massive damage boost you get from using it properly.

It's situational on these heroes I'd argue, because there will be times where you need to rush your positioning item (So basically Blink Dagger), and after that, it's probably better to build like Yasha or Maelstrom, which are also mid game farming items that happen scale better due to them transitioning into later game items.

Since you just can't have enough Chaos Breaker.

Sanvitch

Notable (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » December 22, 2014 4:18pm | Report
No gap closers? Check
No heavy nukers? Check
Good positioning? Check
Enemy is too much of a ****** to retaliate? Check

Go for it bruh
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kadius » December 22, 2014 9:46pm | Report
There's a mask of madness helmet on Drow Ranger valve = illuminaty confirm.
So yeah, basically it's a must on all right clikers because it makes them do way mroe right click damage.
Like my post? Be sure to toss me a +Rep!

Made by yours truly c:

Kadius

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » December 23, 2014 4:31am | Report
Kadius wrote:

So yeah, basically it's a must on all right clikers because it makes them do way mroe right click damage.

Absolute must. Its not like that it increase your damage taken or something. Oh, wait..
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » December 23, 2014 5:35am | Report
It makers you red, it makes you go really fast and you look like a baller for playing Mask of Madness Morphling and going 15-2 at 15 minutes. What more do you need?

Really fun item on INT heroes who need a ton of attack speed. MoM is the only way to play Enchantress, it actually got buffed in 6.83 and now Bambi runs at 500 movement speed with this item.

Actually there aren't many items that give a ton of attack speed on INT heores, if you can't afford a Butterfly or something on Bambi or OD, get dat mask of manliness.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » December 24, 2014 1:57am | Report
Actually i can see how ench buy mom with the atk slow and **** makes her durable
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » December 24, 2014 2:31am | Report
Unscathed wrote:

Actually i can see how ench buy mom with the atk slow and **** makes her durable

Every time bruh.
Spoiler: Click to view

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved