Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Countering Troll Warlord

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Thread Locked

This thread has been locked by the moderators, you cannot reply to it.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Countering Troll Warlord 39 posts - page 1 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fumbles16x » April 7, 2015 9:34pm | Report
So as everyone has noticed, Troll Warlord has kind of jumped up to the position of that hero. Every patch has an all-star, and this one seems to be Troll. With a ~56% winrate (according to Dotabuff) and being the 4th most popular pick this month, I think it's probably safe to say that he'll be getting some kind of nerf in the near future.

However, we still have to play against him until then. So what have you guys found to kind of keep him from stomping? Tbh I've just been instapicking him to avoid playing against him, and I've only lost one game of five by doing this.

I think the best thing to do is to get supports with a lot of heavy CC. Lion is great because he can disable for several seconds and even nuke him to ash if he has to. If you can make him buy a BKB as his first "big" item it has a pretty good effect of delaying some of his damage, and also making his lategame BKB much shorter.

As far as carries go, I don't really know who can even go against him right now. Sniper from max distance with his entire team between him and troll is all that really comes to mind. Obviously there's always Void in Chrono and Medusa with Stone Gaze to sort of counter him, but that's only when their ults are up.

There's just too much you have to worry about when going up against this hero. He's a huge pushing threat, especially when paired with other heroes like Tiny who hit hard but need attack speed. He can take Rosh really quickly, either alone or with teammates. And he can start getting triple kills in teamfights as soon as he has BKB and like, SnY. How do you counter a hero who is this multi-faceted?

Even PPD has said that this patch has pretty much been "figured out" except for Sniper and Troll. They just ban them because they aren't really sure how to play against them yet.

Fumbles16x

Notable (4)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » April 7, 2015 9:49pm | Report
Ranged carries who build Eye of Skadi, and supports with heavy lockdown to kite him. Wyvern, Lion, Bane...
Ebola Lancer and Slark to manfight him, I think they're the only ones. Other than them don't pick a melee carry xD

http://www.dotafire.com/dota-2/forum/general/dealing-with-broken-and-overpicked-heroes-6-83-31956?page=1#comments
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sanvitch » April 7, 2015 10:16pm | Report
He's kinda hard to counter in a conventional sense. Given that, he has essentially no natural counters. Just massive amounts of CC really does stuff (But that's true of essentially every hero in the game. If you stun lock them, and have damage, you can kill a hero basically.

But even then; he builds stats and has an inbuilt bash/blind/massive DPS so you can't man-fight him coventionally. The items he builds mean that he's damn near impossible to kite because he moves at like 500~ move speed and has multiple sources of slow.

He doesn't even mind going Black King Bar as his first major item - When you only need one damage item to get your optimum damage output, you don't suffer to badly for a first item BKB.

And him being able to 1v5 if he doesn't get disabled, being an extremely strong laner, and push at comparably speeds to a Tiny really doesn't leave him with many in game weaknesses. The only one that comes to mind is that he really wants a down period time to farm before fighting and pushing, but he doesn't have to have this.

But I agree with the idea of lots of CC, and burst to kill him more quickly. Personally I think deathball is alright against him, but the issue is deathball is kinda meh this patch due to glyph changes. Maybe you can go really late against him with like Medusa, but I don't think Medusa out DPS's him.

Since you just can't have enough Chaos Breaker.

Sanvitch

Notable (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Cuttleboss » April 7, 2015 10:18pm | Report
Hamster's thread covers most of it.
Even the great new channel, Relax You're Fine, seems slightly stumped.

In the games I spectate for leisure, Lancer is the go-to Counterpick to Troll, since he doesn't naturally build Mjollnir or Battlefury, so the overwhelming nature of the lancers mean he wins manfights.

Sniper is the biggest one, any decent kiting hero, especially ones that can do it through magic immunity, demolish Troll. Special mention to DK, has a natural slow that can stack with Skadi slow (hello instant 150 ms), his instant stun, and he is probably the best hero at tanking troll's damage.

Other kiting heroes: Razor, is fast and drains dmg, Viper, slows. Both go through BKB.

Minus armor also is good against troll. ET I've had a lot of success with, since the current build just stacks stats, so he'll be down to only the 5 armor of his Dominator/Satanic. Slardar combo with a Ranged dpser (Sniper, WR, Drow) or Winter Wyvern work fantastic as well, but on their own, they struggle with Troll.

Oracle, if he was in CM, also rips Troll apart. Fate's Edict disarms, False Promise prevents him from focusing someone down as he's prone to doing.

Earth Spirit too, if you can get a good one. The mispositioning skills of him and his very high burst damage make him a nightmare for troll early, and still useful to kite Troll by making certain targets unfavorable.

Sucks that a lot of his counters are either not in CM (WW,Oracle,ES), underpowered (DeeKay), overnerfed (Razor), or just too situational picks (Viper, PL).

Cuttleboss
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KrDotoBestDoto » April 8, 2015 11:21am | Report
Silencer worked for me. I even won mid against a troll, he was playing pretty bad though.
His main weakness in pubs is player mentality. They are used to getting their farm early and proceeding to manfight everything. If you kill him early their delayed start will let you take objectives and choke him out of farm by camping the enemy woods.

KrDotoBestDoto

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dimonychan » April 8, 2015 12:30pm | Report
In high level Ranked games they often pick some ****** double lines or even solo laners to make Troll's life on lane miserable. Troll is stupidly good in lane for a hard carry he is and he uses it to get his starting items to begin snowballing, so Lich, Viper and likes will let him with nothing but boots and mask in most cases.

Dimonychan

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kyphoid returns » April 8, 2015 12:44pm | Report
I shall name this thread :
OH I DIDNT ReALIZE THEY CHANGED SKADI AND MAX ATTACK SPEED LIMIT SO I AM GONNA COMPLAIN ABOUT WISHY WASHY NAMBY PAMBY UNTIL NERFS COME OUT.

For feedback purposes, how would you like if troll didnt get bonus ms from his berserkers rage and only his bash scaled?

How would you like if instead of this change, he was not awarded with reduced BAT?
Go On, Feed Me.

Kyphoid returns

Remarkable (42)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Krwiozerca » April 8, 2015 12:52pm | Report
Phantom Lancer?

Krwiozerca

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (34)
Steam: Krwiozerca
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » April 8, 2015 12:58pm | Report

For feedback purposes, how would you like if troll didnt get bonus ms from his berserkers rage and only his bash scaled?

I think that's a needed nerf to reduce his movement speed, yes. But you also need to nerf the 1 value point in the skill. So I think nerfing Troll's BASE movement speed to 285 instead would be best.

How would you like if instead of this change, he was not awarded with reduced BAT?

Nope, removing the BAT just nerfs his late game, and what's OP about Troll is not his late game, it's the fact that he comes online way too fast with an absurd laning presence. So you need to make his passives scale especially Fervor which is just way too good at level 1.

Also Berserker's Rage shouldn't give bonus HP or bonus armor. That's just stupid.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ElDiablo » April 8, 2015 1:06pm | Report

Troll is mostly single target hero so dealing with illusions is really hard for him.
Master of the hidden art of typoing and the greatest enemy of RNGesus

Check out my second hero idea Izinaga the Guardian

ElDiablo

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (10)
Steam: ElDiablo

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved