Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Community Discussion: Octarine Core Puck

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Community Discussion: Octarine Core Puck 24 posts - page 1 of 3
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » June 21, 2015 4:41pm | Report
Hey guys, me again!

I've been building OC on Puck quite a lot, lately. Usually go Blink >> Dagon >> Hex >> OC/Agh's.

What are your thoughts?

The lower cooldown is preeeetty good... makes escaping that much easier. AND almost perma- Phase Shift (3.25 duration, 3.75 cooldown).

Does OC lifesteal on Dagon? Not too sure.

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » June 21, 2015 4:44pm | Report
It's not terrible, but Refresher Orb sounds just way better for double ult and double sheep.

blink -> dagon (optional) -> sheep -> aghs -> refresher

Yes, it does lifesteal on Dagon, but it's kind of negligible anyways....restores 125 HP on a Dagon 5.

Like, octarine after refresher, sure, but before, kind of missing on something I think.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ThePipersSon » June 21, 2015 11:33pm | Report
agreed with Hamstertamer ^^ I think You should build refresher before Octarine Core

ThePipersSon

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sanvitch » June 22, 2015 1:00am | Report
It'll be like a really really late game item. Like, you'll always want to go like Blink Dagger -> Dagon/ Eul's Scepter of Divinity -> either Sycthe or Ag's -> into the other one. And that's in an ideal situation, you'll probably be forced into BKB before the latter two in more games than you'd like.

And after that Refresher Orb is like the best pick-up in 90% of situations because it brings more to the table. You then technically have 1 more item slot, because you can leave refresher on a courier and just micro it really well. So I guess you can fit it there? But really... I think there will still be better item choices in a lot of games, stuff like Linken's Sphere or Lotus Orb. Even Abyssal Blade is better in my book than Octarine Core, and that's like a less than 1% pick-up (Personally I love it on these Blink Dagger initiating heroes as a final final item, because in the late game a BKB piercing disable is godly)

But yeah, it just doesn't fit nicely into his item build up, which just makes it an awkward item pick-up to me. Given that just picking up a Eul's make your escape in a fight really easy anyway because there's almost no way to disable your Blink Dagger in time, and at the stage you'd buy Octarine Core you kinda fufil your job by getting a good Dream Coil and Silence more than surviving.

Since you just can't have enough Chaos Breaker.

Sanvitch

Notable (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by caine1232 » June 22, 2015 8:47am | Report
Octarine is good for later in the game but you really need euls in your build.
Even if there aren't many silences, it makes you even more elusive and you can escape even easier.

caine1232

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by IgnoranceIsBliss » June 22, 2015 12:02pm | Report
Octarine Core Puck?
Why not? i mean the spell lifesteal is not that good but still good, plus the cooldown reduction is awesome!, but i'll only get it once i have Refresher Orb, Scythe of Vyse, Eul's Scepter of Divinity, Blink Dagger, and Boots of Travel, which means it would be your sixth big item, but that would mean you won't have Aghanim's Scepter, but either way its all good
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you can solve your problems, then what is the need of worrying?
If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?

Hero Ideas:
Daemon, The Headhunter
Nuegar, Mercenary of the Ruins
Dues, The Elemental Magus
Zermunt, The Plague Doctor
Alphyria, The Lady of the Skies

IgnoranceIsBliss

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by L0bstz0r » June 22, 2015 2:45pm | Report
to me, OC on puck doesnt really pay off.
The stats are nice, but the spell-steal component is pretty irrelevant, while the CDR (cooldown reduction) also is pretty negligible. Its not like with Lina, where your spells REALLY become spamable. Except maybe Phase Shift.... but a 1.5 second reduction on a purely defensive spell isnt really game changing to me anyway.

Tbh, id get an aghs over OC any time.

L0bstz0r

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: L0bstz0r
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » June 22, 2015 3:31pm | Report
The reason I like OC so much is that Puck likes to jump in, do some burst, then get out. Refill mana, then rinse and repeat.

OC lowers your 'downtime' and also gives a lot of mana and health that you need.

Anyway, it would probably be a sixth item, after Boots, Blink, Dagon, Hex, Agh's, then OC.

Also, let's hear Refresher Orb vs. Octarine Core.

Come to speak of it, what do you think about Dagon on Puck? Would you upgrade it at all?

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by voodoodoll » June 22, 2015 3:33pm | Report
Saying "OC is fine on Puck if I have anything else" amounts to saying that it's not really good. There are too many options that bring more to the table and are cheaper to boot. The Lifesteal is a joke, really - you want to initiate with Puck, so half of the time your HP will be full anyway, and the rest of the time it'll be neglibible (compare the point made about Lina above, of even Lesh for an even more extreme example). Obviously, the CD reduction sounds nice (especially on Shift) and yes, there WILL be moments where you'll make plays/escape because of it, but how often will that be in 100 games with OC? 10%? 15%? A Hex/Aghs is useful in every game.

voodoodoll

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by voodoodoll » June 22, 2015 3:38pm | Report
Well, if we're talking purely about Refresher vs OC, I think Refresher still wins. Again, to me it's about the question how regularly you will benefit from an item. Refresher will definitely be useful more often than OC, and even if OC is useful, I don't think it has that big of an impact.

On Dagon: I don't think upgrading it is worth it unless you're so far ahead that it retains your ability to instantly blow up someone with your combo. Generally, the damage per gold is just too horrendous.

voodoodoll

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (1)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved