Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

A Comparison of Hero DPS

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » A Comparison of Hero DPS 52 posts - page 2 of 6
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by plaq » June 24, 2016 10:14am | Report
As long as I like theoretical simulations I think there are several major flaws in your test:

1) you can't have comparision of single target dps and multi target dps in one list, just can't! You should make one list of single target dps and second of multi target (with same amount of cleave targets) - maybe lists of dps to 1 target, double target, three targets...

2) I didn't find your method of the actuall measuring. I think the ideal way (not sure if it's possible in dota2) should be letting the hero attacking for couple of minutes (minimum of 5, ideal is somewhere around 1 hour) and counting the dmg hero did.

3) I didn't find if you used spells, if you used them on cooldown and you didn't touched some mechanics that may make difference in dps (such as clinkz ulti or precasting clinkz strafe and wait before engaging etc)

4) You should (if it's possible) make test for different amounts of armour and then you can make comparision on how the armour changes dps of specific hero, some graphs etc (i suppose AM and PL will go up with increasing armour)

Now it maybe looks nice but has no value as research... sorry

plaq

Notable (3)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Safecyn » June 24, 2016 4:04pm | Report
These maths, I like them.

ANOTHER!

Safecyn
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (32)
Steam: Safecyn
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » June 24, 2016 8:16pm | Report
Cuttleboss wrote:

Have you tried Meepo? I think he does somewhere around 2.5k dps? I wonder if Bloodthorn would be good on him.

Meepo apparently was bugged and only the DPS of Meepo Prime was counted. I'd be willing to try it again, as Meepo would do a considerable amount because, well, 100% stat sharing. Imba hero.

plaq wrote:

As long as I like theoretical simulations I think there are several major flaws in your test:

1) you can't have comparision of single target dps and multi target dps in one list, just can't! You should make one list of single target dps and second of multi target (with same amount of cleave targets) - maybe lists of dps to 1 target, double target, three targets...

2) I didn't find your method of the actuall measuring. I think the ideal way (not sure if it's possible in dota2) should be letting the hero attacking for couple of minutes (minimum of 5, ideal is somewhere around 1 hour) and counting the dmg hero did.

3) I didn't find if you used spells, if you used them on cooldown and you didn't touched some mechanics that may make difference in dps (such as clinkz ulti or precasting clinkz strafe and wait before engaging etc)

4) You should (if it's possible) make test for different amounts of armour and then you can make comparision on how the armour changes dps of specific hero, some graphs etc (i suppose AM and PL will go up with increasing armour)

Now it maybe looks nice but has no value as research... sorry

1) Checking the multi-target DPS of heroes that only do single target damage, ie most of the ones on this list, is pretty pointless.

2) It varied from hero to hero since their damage is spread out - Chaos Knight went over the duration of his ult, Terrorblade over the duration of Meta, and Clinkz over two Strafe cycles. Essentially, with the exception of Medusa and Luna because perfect scenarios for them are highly unlikely, the tests were conducted with an attempted realistic teamfight situation.

(For those wondering, Luna with only two glaive bounces still did 2.2k, and Medusa loses 700 DPS for every secondary target she isn't hitting. I did take that into account)

3) Spells were included, such as Death Pact and Adaptive Strike. Morphling, for example, began with a shotgun and then used Adaptive Strike on cooldown. This was the highest DPS over two durations of Manta Style illusions.

4) Sadly, I can't do this with the target dummy feature. I'd set up more complex and reliable tests, but it'd be a hell of a lot of work. The armour was the reason I tried to shy away from heroes with lots of -armour like Slardar and Razor.

Sub-optimal builds come down to me not really knowing what items to build on some of the heroes. I was tossing up between BKB and Satanic for Medusa's last item, and in the end decided to go with Satanic. Despite this, the fact that there's literally 1 raw damage difference between them should have basically no impact on the test. I made a similar note with Troll Warlord. Buying a BKB ****s on your damage output, unsurprisingly.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KEEP CALM AND FEED » June 24, 2016 9:03pm | Report
Safecyn wrote:

These maths, I like them.

ANOTHER!

10/10, would math again
XD

KEEP CALM AND FEED

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (15)
Steam: KEEP CALM AND FEED
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by plaq » June 25, 2016 1:07am | Report
I believe the point of comparision is to give all compared subjects same conditions in order to recieve results that are actually comparable. So all heroes must have same amount of targets and attacking for same time period (the longer, the better) or your results are just rough estimations and not comparable results.

Sorry if I'm offensive but doing research has "laws" everybody has to adhere so it's actuall research and not waste of time because your comparision has the potencial to be research and not just some random numbers without specifications of your experiment so noone can repeat your experiment etc...

plaq

Notable (3)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » June 25, 2016 8:27am | Report
There's one thing I'd like to point out - if you're dead, you can't deal damage.

Which is why, although some heroes can deal a lot of damage, they don't seem to deal that much - either they are kited out, or the just plain get stunned to death.

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by YellulzQuiet » June 25, 2016 9:51am | Report
TheSofa wrote:

There's one thing I'd like to point out - if you're dead, you can't deal damage.

Which is why, although some heroes can deal a lot of damage, they don't seem to deal that much - either they are kited out, or the just plain get stunned to death.

Leshrac has a thing or two to say about this

YellulzQuiet

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » June 25, 2016 10:01am | Report
Which is...?

One of the main ways to counter Lesh (as demonstrated in the patch where he was OP) is to restrict his movement and stun him to death...

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » June 25, 2016 9:34pm | Report
plaq wrote:

I believe the point of comparision is to give all compared subjects same conditions in order to recieve results that are actually comparable. So all heroes must have same amount of targets and attacking for same time period (the longer, the better) or your results are just rough estimations and not comparable results.

Sorry if I'm offensive but doing research has "laws" everybody has to adhere so it's actuall research and not waste of time because your comparision has the potencial to be research and not just some random numbers without specifications of your experiment so noone can repeat your experiment etc...

Usually this is true, however Dota works a bit differently. If every hero is hitting one target, that's going to restrict some heroes whose entire thing is their AoE damage, like Sven and Luna. The purpose was to test the DPS 'under ideal conditions'. Ideal conditions are different for different heroes. Comparing the single target DPS of Medusa and Terrorblade tells you nothing, because Medusa does area damage. Setting up a multi-target situation for the both of them is also pointless, because TB doesn't deal area damage.

And yeah, of course kiting and stunning reduce the DPS of a hero. That's obvious, and why you don't ever see Sven actually doing that much damage because you can kite him outside of Warcry (because if there's something 6.83 taught us, it's really hard to kite a hero who moves close to max movespeed a la Tiny and Troll Warlord, hence why SnY Troll is still a thing). It's why the tests include BKB on heroes you'd commonly see it on, exceptions being highly elusive heroes like Morphling. But it's also not really relevant. These tests were conducted, as I've stressed, 'under ideal conditions', which means that naturally they're going to be limited in their usage and applications. Were the available research tools I had more effective, I'd be doing more complex tests that are more useful and reliable. This was more a case of testing the efficiency of damage steroids, more so than actually measuring a hero's damage output in a real game.

Addendum: I might do a video of this for better transparency. It's a fairly easy experiment to replicate.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sp3ctr3 » June 26, 2016 12:57am | Report
I really like this thread, I started playing with some of my friends and I'm the position 1, so I think this is a good way to select the best carry according to the situation. For example if I'm going to figth a Phantom Lancer I'm not going to pick a Terrorblade, I will pick a Sven and then proceed to wreck his face. Every hero is strong in some way and weak in another.

In a separate note, I'm playing 5 heroes with my friends right now: Phantom Assassin, Sven, Slark, Troll Warlord and Wraith King. Should I try another heroes or those are good enough? I will accept any advice.

Sp3ctr3

Notable (4)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved