Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Which PC?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Off Topic » Which PC? 22 posts - page 2 of 3

Poll Question:

Which PC do you use for gaming?
Mac
Alienware
Lenovo
Others
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » December 23, 2012 9:58am | Report
Ancient Hero wrote:

Another custom builder is ibuypower. Don't feel intimidated about building your own computer though, as long as you do some research it's easy. If you want to get an estimate go to pcpartpicker.com and the parts are at full price but if you can get some deals then you can possibly cut it by 25%. The best part sellers are newegg and tigerdirect and they have deals all the time. Avoid windows 8! If you can tell me a budget I can link you a good build. If you are scared about building it, inquire at a local pc repair shop, I'm pretty sure they would be willing to build it of you have the parts fr a small fee(cheaper than going to a custom builder like cyber power, ibuypower...)

I can vouch for Newegg, great service and sales. Honestly buying from CyberPower is a good way to have an easy warranty on all your stuff and is a good idea if you aren't tech savvy, as if anything goes wrong they can diagnose it for you by just sending it in.

I do recommend building your own as well, the only fall backs to this is shotty worksmanship/wiring if you're not very tech orientated and can be hard to diagnose and replace mistakes if you void the warranties of the individual parts (which may or may not have warranties). Its a great experience and relatively cheaper.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
Steam: RUSH_and_ABUSE
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ancient Hero » December 23, 2012 10:30am | Report
Ya, I love newegg, great service and nice shipping/pricing. The problem with building it is if you aren't tech savvy it's hard and letting another guy build it might not work as they dont give you warenty. There are many tutorials online to build your own and building a desktop isn't very hard tbh. The smaller custom builders are nice as thy offer a very good array. Do some research and find one you like, if its for dota an 700-800$ one is more than enough for ultra as it doesn't use much. For a game like planet side 2 then it might only get high or medium. Most of building your own is connecting all the wires and packing them which most cases will have. If you feel like you can't go with a custom built like cyber power.

Ancient Hero
<Editor>

Notable (17)
Steam: smiles
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » December 23, 2012 10:37am | Report
Forgot to mention, if you want a laptop, each of these PC boutiques also give you the option to assemble these as well. Another example is Digital Storm, which is a bit more expensive, but much more reliable and professional.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ancient Hero » December 23, 2012 1:01pm | Report
Ya there are a ton, another is puget systems. A professional one is origin which really popular.

Ancient Hero
<Editor>

Notable (17)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by FredandMike » December 23, 2012 3:03pm | Report
Thanks guys for helping me. 1+rep for all of you:)

FredandMike

Notable (1)
Steam: Fred&Mike
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ancient Hero » December 23, 2012 3:30pm | Report
Anytime, :)

Ancient Hero
<Editor>

Notable (17)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by SuperNova » January 7, 2013 8:35am | Report
I bought an alienware only because of 2 things:

1: Im rich so im not indimidated by high prices
2: I like the colored keyboard.

No other reasons why you should get one

P.S: If you hate alienware i know its because you jelly.

SuperNova

Notable (16)
Steam: BaconBorn
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » January 7, 2013 2:09pm | Report
SuperNova wrote:

I bought an alienware only because of 2 things:

1: Im rich so im not indimidated by high prices
2: I like the colored keyboard.

No other reasons why you should get one

P.S: If you hate alienware i know its because you jelly.

I don't think so, Alienware is a bad quality overpriced brand name and I'd be more comfortable playing on an Asus, which also has an option to change colors and LED, that's not something exclusive to Alienware its nothing new at all.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Nubtrain » January 7, 2013 2:41pm | Report
Windows 8 IMO is fine, people just need to get used to the tablet interface thingy since it wasn't done before to that degree. There are some who complain to Microsoft to be simple and when they do so they start a *****torm and there won't be further support or optimization for Windows 7. Right now Windows 8 is slightly faster and is going to get DirectX 11.1+ so why not try it out at least.

I recommend a custom built computer, research a bit then build your computer. When you put time and effort into building your computer, you'll feel much more satisfied and happy with what you've got.

I recommend getting the i5-2500k if you're just going for gaming, if you're planning to do some video editing; I recommend the i7-2600k then. As for ram 8GB at least so you can operate things quicker like Photoshop. If you're planning on getting an SSD, I'd wait a few years until a certain technology is in-place because the lifespan of the SSD is going to be much higher. So for now get at least a 7000+ RPM hardrive for storage and a decent loading speed.

The two components that I would recommend getting at the highest quality possible is a power-supply and a video card (Power Supply being the most important). If your powersupply is unreliable then there's no point in anything else, get a strong power-supply with at least a silver certificate with 1000w+ so have room for power and upgrades. Video game graphics right now aren't getting that much better every year and a lot of companies try to optimize their game/video cards to run as smoothly as possible. If you're looking for a good budget card then I recommend the gtx560ti. I have one myself and so far so good.

DO NOT GET A LAPTOP FOR HARD-CORE GAMING, if you're at school and you have a few hours to kill, fine get a gaming laptop WITH a laptop cooler. I guarantee that the laptop will overheat with all that power going on.

Nubtrain
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (58)
Steam: Nubtrain
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ancient Hero » January 7, 2013 3:06pm | Report
i5-3570k is 170 and it is alot better than both. You don't need 1000w as 700w with silver is plenty for a single high power graphics card unless you plan on sli or crossfire(700w still leaves you room i think. I belive a gtx670+i5-3570k is around 500). Video cards are just about finding deals that match your budget. I feel like what nubtrain said is fine. If you want a top of the line then go the 670 which can drop to around 300.

Building a computer is all about getting the research in so that your preferences match. A mobo is pretty important but all you need is one that matches your processor. 8 GB of RAM is plenty enough.

and ya AVIOD GAMING LAPTOPS. btw alienware is overpriced and all you are paying for is brand. there are alot better and cheaper custom builders out there.

Ancient Hero
<Editor>

Notable (17)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved