Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Looking for mentor/help

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Mentoring » Looking for mentor/help 19 posts - page 2 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Platypuss » August 12, 2015 4:07pm | Report
I think you're right about not being very effective at item builds. Unless it's one of my carries I often feel unsure of what I should buy. My logic in that earth shaker game was that we were behind farm and I was the only support. A heart would've been a better option for sure, I bought the orb because I was hoping the lowered cool down would help me get more stuns off but it was pretty useless. I'll try that new build later today and let you know how it goes! I'll make sure to read the item guide as well.

I definitely need general tips as well. My creep stacking is weak and my ward placement could be better.

Platypuss

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » August 13, 2015 12:23am | Report
ill upload the vid tonight gg wp

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by masaaki14 » August 13, 2015 2:42am | Report
How is your creep stacking weak? Is it that you don't know the timings of each camp? (not every camp can be stacked at .53, some can be .55 or even .56)
Right now i'm learning how to double-stack camps from dire and radiant early on, before i get blink dagger or anything. with a blink it is easier, but the timing window is 2seconds at most, so you need to be fast.

Ward placement is really depending on the game, you just need to predict which part of the map you need to have vision over the next few minutes.
Are you pushing enemy safelane? Ward the enemy jungle to keep a lookout for ganks.
Defending your side of the map? Put a ward on the jungle entrances and mid lane, and a ward on your offlane entrance.
Is there an enemy jungler? put offensive wards in their jungle so that you know where he is and can gank.
The enemy is constantly dewarding. Find alternative ward placements that can give you what you want from the original ward.

Ward placement is a thing that will differ in every game you play, and it will take time to learn the best wards for each situation. Even i find so much more to learn when i see a proper support ward. I can mostly find the right wards to place, but when the enemy dewards, i am almost always lost about what i can do.

masaaki14

Notable (11)
Steam: masaaki14
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » August 13, 2015 3:03am | Report
Hard camps: .53
Easy or medium: I usually click it at .55

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Platypuss » August 13, 2015 3:08am | Report
Thanks I will look for your video!

It's not that I don't know how to stack, though I should practice my stacking accuracy for sure, it's more of a not quite sure when I should spend time trying to stack for my carry vs. when I should be out looking to help with kills, denying, warding ect. I feel as though my time efficiency is lacking, it just becomes a lot more apparent when I'm playing a support role.

Thanks for the tips on warding, maybe it's just me but I always feel as though radiant side feels much easier to ward. I always give props to those who can place really nice wards that aren't just the same generic rune wards.

Platypuss

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by masaaki14 » August 13, 2015 3:54am | Report
Platypuss wrote:

It's not that I don't know how to stack, though I should practice my stacking accuracy for sure, it's more of a not quite sure when I should spend time trying to stack for my carry vs. when I should be out looking to help with kills, denying, warding ect. I feel as though my time efficiency is lacking, it just becomes a lot more apparent when I'm playing a support role.

That... is a problem i have problem with too. But basically, you need to look around the map to see if anyone needs you.

The offlane generally should be able to survive by himself since he is made to play solo against trilanes, unless the mid ganks, in which the supports should tp in to help immediately.

You should look at your safelane first, and check whether he can handle himself against the enemy offlane. Handle, meaning he should be able to last-hit freely without being disturbed by the off-laner. That is your highest priority during the laning stage.

If your safe-lane carry is fine, look at the mid-lane and see whether the the lane is winning. If both mid-laners are more or less equal, or if your mid-laner is losing, you should try to initiate a smoke gank on the enemy mid to bring your mid back to an advantage. Otherwise, you can go ahead and stack.

As you can see, stacking is your lowest priority as a support. Your highest priority is to ensure that your pos. 1-3 manages to farm as much as much as they can as freely as they can, and keep them safe while they farm. Stacking is just one way of doing that.

As a carry, in most of my games i stack myself, either while i am farming in the jungle(keeping track of timing windows and stacking by myself is rather easy), or i use a HotD and dominate a creep to stack camps(mostly for ancients) My supports rarely stack, but the good ones ensure that i get a free lane to farm in before 10min, and keep wards up all game to let me see if there are enemy units trying to gank me.

masaaki14

Notable (11)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by masaaki14 » August 13, 2015 4:09am | Report
TheSofa wrote:

Hard camps: .53
Easy or medium: I usually click it at .55

The dire hard camp closer to the midlane has quite a long time window, you can aggro at .53 all the way to .56 and still stack the camp.
The dire medium camp right next to this hard camp can be aggro-ed at .55-.57, which i often exploit to double-stack these camps.

The dire hard camp next to the radiant offlane is a little tricky to pull, in my opinion. The window if you pull to the right has to be exactly .53. I have tried aggro-ing at .52 and at .54, but it failed most of the time. The easier way to stack this camp is to cut down a tree facing the lane, and pull at .54-.55, so that it can pull the creepwave at the same time. If you are warding the area next to the camp, be careful as it is easily blocked, the camp spawn box is very large.

Radiant Hard camp in the wide area closer to the river should be pulled to the left area, not the bottom, it is easier to stack that way. If you decide to pull bottom, the window is .53-.54, and if you pull to the left, the window is .53-.55.
The other hard camp, closer to the midlane, has a rather wide window, .53-.55.

masaaki14

Notable (11)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Platypuss » August 13, 2015 11:02pm | Report
Okay, eveyone usually acts like stacking is a huge priority. So if my safelane carry has free farm and the rest of the lanes are doing fine, or everyone is just focusing on farm that is when its optimal to stack?

Platypuss

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by UltraSuperHyper » August 14, 2015 2:34am | Report
^ exactly!

Although, killing the enemy mid or offlaner would also help a lot. Keep in mind that not every hero in the game can effectively farm the stacks. It'll be easier for some to snowball of kills. Although Those in the current meta can definitely use the stacks so decide accordingly.

UltraSuperHyper

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: UltraSuperHyper
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved