Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Sniper rework (INT caster)

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Hero & Item Ideas » Sniper rework (INT caster) 12 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » November 27, 2014 3:53am | Report
I think lots of people agree, Sniper needs a full rework. Right now he's just a n00b carry who's essentially a right-clicking ranged creep. The worst hero design in the game by far, he needs to be replaced by a hero who has a more interesting gameplay, who actually requires some skill (while still being playable by new players of course, doesn't need to be the new Earth spirit), but most importantly of all, he should actually be FUN, something he completely lacks.

There has been a pretty nice Sniper rework by Porygon some time ago, here I'll try making my own. Ultimate is inspired by his version actually. Also a bit inspired by Nova from HOTS :
http://heroesofthestorm.gamepedia.com/Nova

Meet the HamsterSniper :

Stats

Hero : Sniper
Role : Initiator, nuker, pusher
Position : Solo mid or semi-support. Same line as Silencer, Warlock or Leshrac : playable either as a mid or as a greedy support. Offlane possible but very risky.
Primary attribute : Intelligence

Strength : 16 + 1.7
Agility : 19 + 1.8
Intelligence : 18 + 3.1

Base damage : 60-65
Base armor : 2
Attack range : 650
Base attack time : 2.0

Skills

Q : Line of sight

After careful aim, Sniper takes his best shot towards the targeted point. Damages and ministuns the first enemy the bullet encounters.
Line of sight affects enemy heroes and creeps but does not affect allies.

Ability : target point
Cast time : 0.4 seconds
Range : 400/650/900/1200
Damage : 70/100/130/160 + 1/1.5/2/2.5 * intelligence
Ministun duration : 0.25 seconds
Cooldown : 4/4/3/2 seconds
Mana cost : 70/75/80/85

W : Scattershot

Sniper prepares three balls of shrapnel that can be fired independently at the target locations. Each scattershot deals damage over time and slow in the targeted area.
Scattershot gives vision in the target areas.
Damage from separate scattershot instances does not stack.

Number of shots : 3
Delay to fire : 4 seconds
AOE radius : 350
Cast range : 1800
Duration : 7 seocnds
Damage per second : 15/30/45/60
Slow : 15/20/25/35%
Mana cost : 150
Cooldown : 20 seconds

E : Sound the cannon

After some preparation, Sniper fires his trusty hand cannon at the target location, dealing massive area damage in a line. Enemies hit are pushed aside and silenced from the blast. Sniper experiences significant recoil, pushing him back.
Damages buildings for 75% of the damage value.

Channel time : 2.5 seconds
Blast range : 700/850/1000/1150
Blast radius : 250
Damage : 75/150/225/275 + 0.5/1/1.5/2 * intelligence (75% to buildings)
Pushback : 100/150/200/300
Silence duration : 2/3/4/5 seconds
Recoil : 100/200/300/400
Mana cost : 125/175/225/275
Cooldown : 35 seconds

R : Iridium railgun

Sniper locks onto a target point, and after some preparations he keeps secret, fires the most devastating gun ever imagined. Deals massive damage to the first target along the line, and reduced damage to further targets. Sniper is pushed back by the massive recoil.

Cast time : 1.7 seconds
Range : 2000/2500/3000
Damage : 200 + 1.5/3/4.5 * intelligence (300 + 2.5/4/5.5 * intelligence with Aghanim's scepter)
Damage type : Pure, pierces spell immunity
Damage reduction per target : 40% (reduction for each subsequent target)
Recoil : 400/525/650
Mana cost : 200/350/450
Cooldown : 30/20/10 seconds

Besides improving the damage from his ultimate, Aghanim's Scepter gives an additional ability, allowing Sniper to cast a global range ultimate :

R' : Propulsion overdrive

An experimental overdrive that allows Kardel to remove his range limitations completely. Doesn't come without any risks however...

Additional ability with separate cooldown
Same effect and same damage as his regular ultimate, however the ability has global range
Self damage taken : 20% of current HP (^^)
Cooldown : 60/45/30 seconds

Gameplay

He's a nuker whose damage scales with his intelligence, giving him good late game presence. He is at his strongest in teamfights because of his AOE nukes, however none of his skills are reliable making his skillshots rather hard to hit similar to Kunkka, and he is best used as a followup initiator. Still he can use Scattershot to try to zone enemies and hit his cannon on as many heroes as he can.

His ulti goes through BKB, however none of his other skills do. Just like Invoker or Skywrath, no matter how broken his skills might seem, it's easy to see them coming and pop BKB to block them.

He has high base damage and range for last hitting making him a solid mid or even offlaner, however his horrible base attack time makes him un-viable as a right-clicker. I think Sniper is really THE hero who should have a nerfed BAT because a freaking sniper rifle shouldn't shoot 3 rounds per second like the current one does. That's an *assault* rifle, Volvo.

He pays for his great scaling by being very level dependent and being squishy with no escape, exactly like the current sniper. However he has a pseudo-escape by using the recoil from his skills for more lulz, which is balanced by the long channel times allowing enemies to interrupt them. All his skills have punishing mana costs meaning that he essentially needs a bloodstone to reach his full spam potential, especially for his ult. Besides silence makes him useless of course.

Hope you enjoy :)
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » November 27, 2014 4:10am | Report
Ex. INT: 60

Aghs ulti: 60*60=3600!!!!!!!!!

You made some mistakes here. Surely... Surely..... And... Pure pierce magic immune? Liek hloy sheit
I think u need some typo or balance rework....

Also a combination of Zeus+ Pudge+skywrath
Volvo pls
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » November 27, 2014 4:14am | Report
Ok Ok I kind of added a zero where there shouldn't be, my bad. I'm actually not even finished writing yet so pls :)

I agree he's maybe *slightly* broken as he is now, balancing in progress boys xD

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » November 27, 2014 4:28am | Report
gif news. its interesting when YOU make a hero idea
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » November 27, 2014 12:03pm | Report
News made. More pretty and probably less broken.

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by F.E.A.R.0 » November 27, 2014 12:38pm | Report
It's a good idea but I don't know why many people don't know IceFrog. Reworking heroes is OK for him but swapping attributes is a rare thing. Only in the past a few heroes got their attributes changed. Like Undying from INT to STR. The reason behind that was, because in the oldest of maps heroes were made out of fun. IceFrog will rework Sniper but he will not touch the primary attribute.
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
Please PM me if you spot anything missing or outdated in the data base

F.E.A.R.0
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (38)
Steam: F.E.A.R.
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Cataclysm2146 » November 27, 2014 1:11pm | Report
Ehh.. I think Sniper might get buffed or given some large changes, but some heroes just need to be playable by noobs with ease. Everybody suggests giving sniper a ****ton of skillshots but I think he should keep his long range and maybe rework Shrapnel instead. There have to be some easier heroes other than Viper, Drow Ranger, and Wraith King, etc. Maybe giving him a more powerful slow in an aoe with blink disable. Kinda like Ensnare but with slow rather than root.

Cataclysm2146

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » November 27, 2014 1:34pm | Report
This isn't about noob friendliness or not, it's about the fact that being a 950 range creep without skills who can't do anything but right-click isn't a good concept of a hero. That's why he needs a rework. He doesn't need a buff or a nerf, he just needs a better concept.

It's natural to think about skillshots because that's the whole point of a "sniper" in the first place! You need good aim, you need a clear line of sight of your target, and you fire FEW shots which deal a lot of damage each, which is the complete opposite of a right-click AGI hero who is more like a machine gun than anything else!

@ F.E.A.R.0 ; I'm sorry to not having been blessed by insight into the mind of Icefrog ; I try to do what I can with my meager imagination. Still besides Undying, Chen and Ursa had primary attribute changes as far as I know, they used to be STR.

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » November 27, 2014 3:20pm | Report
I think he'd be much more fun to play with the changes!
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » November 28, 2014 2:46am | Report
fun and cool idea. although i dont really like the *INT coz it made him look like skywrath but meh.

also i suggest removing sarcasm from the aghs ulti description. noobs will be like "wtf i take dmg"
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved