Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Revival of Hero Creation Contest?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Hero & Item Ideas » Revival of Hero Creation Contest? 64 posts - page 3 of 7
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Bunkansee » July 22, 2014 8:41am | Report
I'm not sure about the humor bonus points thing. I don't make my hero idea humorous on purpose, and I think giving bonus points for doing so isn't great. Humor is good sometimes, but not always, I like to make my heroes more serious; but that's just me, and what this will do is force you to make heroes humorous in order to get max points, you get me?

Bunkansee
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (32)
Steam: Bunkansee
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yzreel » July 22, 2014 8:47am | Report
Bunkansee wrote:

I'm not sure about the humor bonus points thing. I don't make my hero idea humorous on purpose, and I think giving bonus points for doing so isn't great. Humor is good sometimes, but not always, I like to make my heroes more serious; but that's just me, and what this will do is force you to make heroes humorous in order to get max points, you get me?

Hmm.... Fair point. I did say it's just an example actually, the 'others' part is actually the part where all those miscellaneous points are put in, and is pressed more in the presentation of the hero idea (thus the visual aid part), as well as item idea and by no mean requires the humor. However, I think having the humor part put in can aid for readers to enjoy reading it, no? Nonetheless, it seems unfair to actually give more points due to humor, so what points do you think should be added inside the 'others' part?
My hero ideas
Yzreel Hero Arsenal

Yzreel

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (30)
Steam: Yzreel
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » July 22, 2014 8:49am | Report
yeah...

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Bunkansee » July 22, 2014 8:55am | Report
Yzreel wrote:

Hmm.... Fair point. I did say it's just an example actually, the others part is actually the part where all those miscellaneous points are put in, and is pressed more in the presentation of the hero idea (thus the visual aid part), as well as item idea and by no mean requires the humor. However, I think having the humor part put in can aid for readers to enjoy reading it, no?

True, but being a competition, if humor grants bonus points and you really want to win, you're gonna have to put humor in. Humor can help viewers enjoy reading, yes. But there are so many books out there that people love that aren't humorous. Everyone has a different way of creating heroes, some like to make them funny, others like to make them serious. If the bonus points for humor is going to work out, there needs to be some sort of other category, so that people who don't put humor in can earn an equal amount of points than those that do put humor in.

Bunkansee
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (32)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yzreel » July 22, 2014 8:58am | Report
Well Bunkan, it seems that I clicked on the 'post reply' button too fast. I have changed it before you post the reply, but it seems you replied to my previous one lol. So, please read the last sentence again and do comment on that.
My hero ideas
Yzreel Hero Arsenal

Yzreel

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (30)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Bunkansee » July 22, 2014 9:02am | Report
Yzreel wrote:

Well Bunkan, it seems that I clicked on the 'post reply' button too fast. I have changed it before you post the reply, but it seems you replied to my previous one lol. So, please read the last sentence again and do comment on that.

Oh haha! Well, I'm not sure. We need something that people who put humor in can't earn, and people that don't put humor in can earn. A seriousness bonus point rewards sounds kinda dull, so I don't really know. Maybe add different genres? Funny points, mystical points, scary points, dark points (sounds kinda lame too <<) etc. Obviously with more creative names, but it's just an idea.

Bunkansee
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (32)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » July 22, 2014 9:22am | Report
About the poits, I suggest it making it easy to add up and easy to give poits too, each category should go from 1-10, and each user should be able to give "grades" for each hero. I'll sum all of them up in a table and post it.

Also, everyone should be obliged to rate each hero, and give a sincere rate, not one that would screw the other guy up just because he is close to him on the leaderboard.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yzreel » July 22, 2014 9:25am | Report
Wulfstan wrote:

About the poits, I suggest it making it easy to add up and easy to give poits too, each category should go from 1-10, and each user should be able to give "grades" for each hero. I'll sum all of them up in a table and post it.

Yeah, I believe it is probably the best option. I'll leave it to you for the categories wulfstan!

Oh, by the way, since nobody comment about the time limit, I think making it a week is good enough?
My hero ideas
Yzreel Hero Arsenal

Yzreel

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (30)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » July 22, 2014 9:28am | Report
Yeah, maybe 2 weeks?

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » July 22, 2014 9:33am | Report
Imo, one week is more than enough to make a good designed hero and post it, with one month betwen each contest. I mean, it's no rocket science, and you don't have to make it overly complicated. But if people need 2 weeks... sure, why not.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved