Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Revival of Hero Creation Contest?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Hero & Item Ideas » Revival of Hero Creation Contest? 64 posts - page 2 of 7
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ThreadOfFate » July 21, 2014 11:43pm | Report
Yzreel wrote:

Since this idea receives great welcome, I'll start with making the rule. Please do comment on the rules and once it's fixed, I'll put the theme on! I hope all of you can help me out and participate!

So here are the basic rules that I thought about:
  • Everybody must comply on the current theme set
  • There can only be one hero idea per submission
  • It is possible to post one hero idea and one item idea, but both counts as one (and thus will be voted together)
  • It is not possible to post just item idea
  • Nobody can vote for his/her own idea
  • Additional account creation is forbidden for vote
  • Previous winner must come out with the next theme
  • All poll will be taken by one host (we will decide) in his/her thread in one time
  • All the ideas will be posted in the host's thread, and any personal thread before or after is not counted
  • To be posted in the host's thread, one must PM the host in the allocated time (some days after the theme is announced)

What do you guys think?

Hmn, I like what you've said.
I would be happy to host if nobody else is able to.

ThreadOfFate

Notable (14)
Steam: TTT.Pixelmancer
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by kkoopman3 » July 22, 2014 4:43am | Report
Yzreel wrote:

Since this idea receives great welcome, I'll start with making the rule. Please do comment on the rules and once it's fixed, I'll put the theme on! I hope all of you can help me out and participate!

• It is possible to post one hero idea and one item idea, but both counts as one (and thus will be voted together)
  • All poll will be taken by one host (we will decide) in his/her thread in one time
  • All the ideas will be posted in the host's thread, and any personal thread before or after is not counted
  • To be posted in the host's thread, one must PM the host in the allocated time (some days after the theme is announced)

What do you guys think?

Good rules. I do think we should be able to vote for our own, though. If you ban it, some people might cheat anyways, plus if there's an obviously better idea I personally would vote for it.

kkoopman3

Remarkable (28)
Steam: Ce.W1sd0m
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Bunkansee » July 22, 2014 5:06am | Report
kkoopman3 wrote:

Good rules. I do think we should be able to vote for our own, though. If you ban it, some people might cheat anyways, plus if there's an obviously better idea I personally would vote for it.

If the voting system is a poll type thing it means people would be able to vote for their own anyway, and nobody would be able to tell. But I think making a rule that you can't vote for your own is good anyway. We'll just hope everyone is honest.

Bunkansee
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (32)
Steam: Bunkansee
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » July 22, 2014 5:17am | Report
Yzreel wrote:

What do you guys think?

Seems legit. I'd also include some 'marking guidelines' as to how an idea will be scored - eg originality, balance, backstory. I'm game for this.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yzreel » July 22, 2014 7:01am | Report
@kkoopman, bunkan: yeah, I know that anyone can still vote for him/herself, but I expect you all to comply on the rule as a form of sportsmanship. I am only banning it to stop the unlikely event (but much more likely if not banned) of having a 1 vote for each idea. This way, it is more fair for everybody and unbiased in my opinion.

@terathiel: yes, I think I will. Thanks for the great suggestion :)

So here are the marking guidelines:
  • Originality
  • Lore (Background Story)
  • In-Game Usability
  • Balance
  • Others (Creations of additional points, e.g: reactions, humor, visual aids and item idea)

What do you guys think about the marking guidelines? I think we need to put in points into each guideline so it is possible to determine the winner (what about 30 points for originality, 15 points for lore, 25 points for in-game usability, 20 points for balance and 10 points for others?) Also, how long do you guys think the allocated time since the theme announcement should be?

About the host, thank you very much to Thread for the willingness to help. I myself am able to be the host if needed. Does any of you also want to be a host? We can decide here who should be the host to post the hero concepts. I think, ideally the skills a host need would be: coding (just as simple as spoilers and formatting so it doesn't take too much space and also so any images a submitter wish to input can be put in) and online frequency (so he/she can watch the PM and post in time)
My hero ideas
Yzreel Hero Arsenal

Yzreel

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (30)
Steam: Yzreel
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » July 22, 2014 7:48am | Report
oh no... Balance is one of them?

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » July 22, 2014 7:49am | Report
I could host it, if nobody minds. Might attract a couple more new users too since I am "blue". Could also make some Excel tables to hold on to the points and stuff.

Something like this :

Edit : Damn that's small, better get myself a magnifying glass. That's a rough sketch of it anyway, I could not be lazy and make a purdy one in Word.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » July 22, 2014 8:22am | Report
You forgot Thread. But yeah, I don't mind.

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » July 22, 2014 8:37am | Report
TheSofa wrote:

You forgot Thread. But yeah, I don't mind.

It was just a sketch anyway. If people don't manage to sign up in time for each of the contests, they won't be on the board. As simple as that. Neither will they be able to participate.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yzreel » July 22, 2014 8:39am | Report
Yeah! I think that wulfstan is the most suited one for the host since he was there for the original one lol
Hmm.... I was thinking that we can just do simple poll (so that the winner of each section receive the point rather than having everyone scored out), but I think it can work better if you're willing to put it like that! Thanks wulf :D

Hmm.... about the balance part, i think it is essential, what do you guys think?

Also, what about the time limit? Any suggestions?
My hero ideas
Yzreel Hero Arsenal

Yzreel

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (30)
Steam: Yzreel
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved