Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Team Fights

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Team Fights 11 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Arrowtic » March 29, 2013 4:58am | Report
Hi all.I've a big problem : Team Fights.
I dunno when to escape or stay.Sometimes when I see that I'm dying I'll just escape and after that all my team blames me,and also sometimes I stay and my teammates tell me that you should've escaped.

Is there any guide for me to read so I'll suck less?

Thanks in advance

Arrowtic

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » March 29, 2013 5:10am | Report
First, it depends on your role: are you playing as a carry? Then, if you aren't able to deal damage because you always get killed or stunned to death get a Black King Bar. Are you a support? Then it's al about good positioning and prediction, things that come with experience. If you feel you die too often, though, a Ghost Scepter or a Force Staff can help you in both escaping and getting some stats. Are you an initiator? Wait until all the enemies are grouped up, then let your team come closer, blink and use your Reverse Polarity/ Echo Slam/ Primal Split/ Black Hole.

Basically, you become good in teamfights as you play more matches and get into the mid or high matchmaking tier: if you want to learn more quickly I suggest to watch competitive games (at JoinDOTA or any other YouTube channel that uploads VODs), they really help in understanding the role of certain Heroes (mostly supports, as I have rarely seen "good" support players in pubs) and overall teamwork.

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Arrowtic » March 29, 2013 6:10am | Report
I'm hard carry.
I can deal damage but my problem is just that escape thing.I dunno when to escape and there are times when I escape and every one blames me.
My DotA 2 name is Arrowtic so you can watch my last replay if you want to.There was a time when one of my teammates put the burden on me because of my escape.(There was just me and 4 of them so I escaped but died because of spectre's slow.My teammate told me that when they've slowed me and 2 of them are low on hp I should stay because there is a high chance that I kill at least one of those two)

Arrowtic

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » March 29, 2013 6:42am | Report
Arrowtic wrote:

I'm hard carry.
I can deal damage but my problem is just that escape thing.I dunno when to escape and there are times when I escape and every one blames me.
My DotA 2 name is Arrowtic so you can watch my last replay if you want to.There was a time when one of my teammates put the burden on me because of my escape.(There was just me and 4 of them so I escaped but died because of spectre's slow.My teammate told me that when they've slowed me and 2 of them are low on hp I should stay because there is a high chance that I kill at least one of those two)

If you can't escape, you better stay in and deal all the damage you can to help your alive teammates. If your team dies and you lose the team fight, you better run so you don't give them more kills. People who die will usually blame others which escaped just because they are mad.
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » March 29, 2013 7:01am | Report
I don't think this is something that can genuinely be taught with text. Its a combination on knowledge of all the heroes in the game, analyzation (which abilities with long cooldowns in the fight were already used or how recently someone's disable was used), and a feel for how the overall fight is going. It also depends on who you're playing, does your hero have an innate escape like Anti-Mage's Blink or are you left with either a technical or even no escape at all, all of these need to be taken into account.

But generally yes, if you're in a very heavy disable (Like Medusa's Ult), then there's no other logical move to make other then attack until it ends and do as much damage as you can. Most of the time a carry should have lifesteal so it might actually save your life to fight. If you do have an escape then that's something you have to use your judgement with. In the long haul, your team is relying on you to do most of the damage.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
Steam: RUSH_and_ABUSE
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Arrowtic » March 29, 2013 7:11am | Report
I know all the heroes and their skills as well.
I'm currently improving my performance with phantom assassin.Her blink can be used for escape but since I've to choose a target there are times when I can't escape well because all creeps are dead or very close to me.(The problem was spectre whose slow has a long duration + she can get extra speed!)

Arrowtic

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » March 29, 2013 7:17am | Report
Arrowtic wrote:

I know all the heroes and their skills as well.
I'm currently improving my performance with phantom assassin.Her blink can be used for escape but since I've to choose a target there are times when I can't escape well because all creeps are dead or very close to me.(The problem was spectre whose slow has a long duration + she can get extra speed!)

You need to make sure that your teammates stay close enough to blink to, there should always be a ranged caster in the back of the fight, use them as your hook.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Arrowtic » March 29, 2013 7:34am | Report
We only had one.But they killed her first :D

Arrowtic

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » March 29, 2013 8:01am | Report
Arrowtic wrote:

We only had one.But they killed her first :D

Then refer back to paragraph 2:

xCO2 wrote:
But generally yes, if you're in a very heavy disable (Like Medusa's Ult), then there's no other logical move to make other then attack until it ends and do as much damage as you can. Most of the time a carry should have lifesteal so it might actually save your life to fight. If you do have an escape then that's something you have to use your judgement with. In the long haul, your team is relying on you to do most of the damage.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Arrowtic » March 29, 2013 9:26am | Report
So in my case I should've continued the fight until they would've killed me?because spectre's slow was long enough for me to die in their hands :D

Thank you all you helped me a lot.I'll try more and more to fix this problem.

Arrowtic

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved