Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Question bomb from a semi-noob

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Question bomb from a semi-noob 32 posts - page 2 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by SmoothRide » October 20, 2013 2:01pm | Report
Thanks for the responses. It confused me when I read guides and they would say "He's a hard carry" or "A hero who can offlane" and I have no clue what the hell they are talking about.

Another question, which I forgot to make: what is the best way to set up a configuration for when you have multiple units. Say I wanted to play as Beastmaster or Meepo, how would I go about setting a hot key to control each one on it's own? Or, let's say I found an illusion rune and want to use it to make the enemy believe I'm in the lane when I'm actually ganking. Can I make a hotkey for that?

SmoothRide

Steam: SmoothRide
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Irasian » October 20, 2013 2:34pm | Report
You can create sub-groups by pressing ctrl+number which will assign what you have currently selected to that number.

For example when playing lone druid one of the first things I would do after summoning the bear is select the druid then press ctrl+1, select the bear ctrl+2 and then select the druid and the bear and press crtl+3 so during the game if I just want to use the druid I would simply press 1 to select him, if I wanted the bear I would press 2 and if I wanted to select both of them I would press 3.

Irasian

Notable (2)
Steam: Irasian
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by BKvoiceover » October 20, 2013 4:44pm | Report
samukobo wrote:

The meaning for SS depends on your area, if you play in the SEA servers then they mean your ult.

Apparently, it's because it's your "special skill"

Interesting, I play SEA servers all the time and I have never heard it called that before. But I can understand why newer players might think it means "special-skill" or for lol players "skill-shot"

BKvoiceover

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: BKvoiceoverGames
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » October 21, 2013 12:56am | Report
I agree with most things in this tread except doom is not a hard carry. Doom is tanky but his dps is mediocre due to his low agility.

Carries usually have an ability that involves % Allowing them to have superior damage or survivability. Like void's backtrack. Phantom assasins crit and evasion, lifestealer's feast, Or spectre's dispersion.

Other abilities just allow you to outfarm your opponents, like anti mage's blink when coupled with a battle fury. Alcemist's greevils greed, gyrocopters flak cannon, and medusa's split shot.

There are also other ablities that massively improve your power late game, like medusa's mana shield, svens god strength, kunnka's tidebringer with massive crits, gyro's flak cannon, luna's glaives, morphlings massive stats, phantom lancer's illusions that scale late game, 5 meepo's banging your face in, outworld devourer's massive pure damage, weaver's geminate attack, or storm spirit's ball lightning.

These abilities allow you to be a factor late game, and improve dps, survivability, or power to destroy supports while still attacking their main carries.

Other's are semi carries like dragon knight, and are naturally tanky allowing them to build damage or attack speed, instead of being forced to build survivability items so your damage doesnt stay restricted.

That is why dragon knight is a harder carry then crystal maiden, becouse dragon knight can stand his ground and dish out the damage without being massively squishy.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » October 21, 2013 2:18am | Report
Timminatorr wrote:

I agree with most things in this tread except doom is not a hard carry.

He can be a Hard Carry if you Devour Alpha Wolves, because...
Timminatorr wrote:

Carries usually have an ability that involves % Allowing them to have superior damage or survivability. Like void's backtrack. Phantom assasins crit and evasion, lifestealer's feast, Or spectre's dispersion.

Having a Nuke in lvl? death that takes off just over 20% HP as well as Crits and Bonus Damage from Alpha Wolf Aura makes him a hard hitter, even in the Late Game.
Timminatorr wrote:

Doom is tanky but his dps is mediocre due to his low agility.

By this logic, Tiny would be a terrible Hard Carry as well. There are plenty of ways around low Agility, such as getting an Assault Cuirass, teaming up with a Beastmaster for his Inner Beast Aura, etc.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » October 21, 2013 3:15pm | Report
Xyrus wrote:

He can be a Hard Carry if you Devour Alpha Wolves, because...

Having a Nuke in lvl? death that takes off just over 20% HP as well as Crits and Bonus Damage from Alpha Wolf Aura makes him a hard hitter, even in the Late Game.

By this logic, Tiny would be a terrible Hard Carry as well. There are plenty of ways around low Agility, such as getting an Assault Cuirass, teaming up with a Beastmaster for his Inner Beast Aura, etc.

Getting wolves gives you a nice carry potential i wouldnt call him a HARD carry, he is simply going to get outclassed in damage output compared to a equally farmed anti mage or even a lifestealer. I think storm is better late game then doom.

About tiny, you are wrong, tiny scales great into late game with aghanim becouse he has much more damage thanks to his ultimate, as well as the massive cleave. Search on youtube, tiny cant stop the rock, doom will never be able to ouput that much DPS.
And lvldeath does 20% hp in late game? Hardly, tiny's ava toss combo litterally does 3 times the damage.

Doom is a can carry decently, but dragon knight for example can carry just as hard if not harder in dragon form.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by samukobo » October 22, 2013 2:35am | Report
What makes Doom a hard carry is imo his ability to farm. Sure, it's not Alchemist but as an Alchemist you shouldn't be getting THAT early levels of Greevil's Greed (You need your first and second skill early on for at least 1 each unless you're getting free farm - which you shouldn't be, against decent opponents) and Devour can give instant big neutral EXP even from level 1.

Greevil's Greed gives much more farm in the long run, but it can get you more EXP from the start and (potentially) more farm early.

One way to use Devour is to quickly move to a large neutral camp, use it at x:52 and stack the camp, to be farmed later.

Yes, he has worse stat gain (Alch is that way too), but that can be compensated.

Additionally, he's really tanky by default which allows him to get less survivability related items.

Oh, and the extra damage and what is easily one of the best 3 crits in the game in terms of chance:effect ratio is massive.

Definitely not the best - but he's pretty good.
Quoted:

ヽ༼ຈلຈ༽ノ

samukobo
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » October 22, 2013 11:10am | Report
Still, i dont think building doom as a hard carry is the best for your team, when approaching late game i would rather have a doom with arcane, refresher then a mjollnir phase doom.

Also devour falls off more then for example lunar glaives. A bit of extra gold versus melting creep waves and jungle campes.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » October 23, 2013 8:18am | Report
Timminatorr wrote:

Still, i dont think building doom as a hard carry is the best for your team, when approaching late game i would rather have a doom with arcane, refresher then a mjollnir phase doom.

Also devour falls off more then for example lunar glaives. A bit of extra gold versus melting creep waves and jungle campes.

Arcane Refresher is bad.You're just a giant creep running around to keep people doomed while you die.Not the best idea, or item build.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by SmoothRide » October 23, 2013 1:54pm | Report
Hey guys, a couple more questions! What do they mean when people are referring to "autocasting"?

I've seen it in guides a lot.

Also what does it mean when they refer to "pull camp"?

SmoothRide

Steam: SmoothRide

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved