Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

New player trying to support

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » New player trying to support 18 posts - page 2 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » August 6, 2013 2:20pm | Report
I'd recommend Lion as well, he's got reasonable range and speed, but most importantly all of his skills are pretty easy to use, and it's pretty obvious what they're doing.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » August 7, 2013 12:40am | Report
Sando wrote:

I'd recommend Lion as well, he's got reasonable range and speed, but most importantly all of his skills are pretty easy to use, and it's pretty obvious what they're doing.

^This

There's also the benefit that you don't have to worry about Mana so much, if you use Mana Drain.

Once you get used to him, you can try aiming Impale at the ground to make use for the full range (you can only target up to 500 units away, but the skill has a 950 Unit Range). Once you can do this reliably, you'll be able to use more Support Heroes with similar skills, like Jakiro or Windrunner

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by LG_Fox_Brazil » August 7, 2013 10:02am | Report
Try Lich or Lion, both are great and easy supports to learn!

LG_Fox_Brazil

Notable (5)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by VooDooTech » August 8, 2013 12:22am | Report

Try Lich or Lion, both are great and easy supports to learn!

This

Great DMG and you do not need to worry about your mana (Lich is here easy to use, you can deny your own creeps and piss off the opponent :) )
Lion is here a better survivor (can stun and make your opponent a frog...AWESOME!)
The main thing is that Lion got an easy use ulti click-click puffff dead.
Lich on the other hand (if there are two close targets) can kill them both or damage the whole enemy team (position is the key - girls know this 8-) )

VooDooTech

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Nubtrain » August 8, 2013 1:53am | Report
If you want something that's only a bit more challenging but very fun then take a look at Lina! Has a fierce personality and the only thing you need to worry about is timing of her stun.

Nubtrain
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (58)
Steam: Nubtrain
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Teysha » August 14, 2013 4:09pm | Report
Actually playing support is harder than playing carry. At least playing support needs more experience. You need to know where to ward, or protect the carry. Stacking neutral camps for him and the list goes and goes and goes... If you are playing support because you are thinking that this is easy, dont play bro. But if you want to play it anyway, try lion like mentioned. When you feel confident enough try to play lina and wisp. Good wisp is golden. Crystal maiden is another hero you can try as support. Her skills are easy to land and you will be helping your team even if you are just staying in base, thanks to her global aura. One last thing, read a guide about warding. Thats really really really important

Teysha

Steam: Teysha
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hovin » October 7, 2013 5:33am | Report
I wouldn't try playing as a hard support as a new player. Generally playing support properly requires a lot of knowledge and experience (I.e. stacking camps while monitoring your carry and managing ward cool down times, all the while keeping excellent map awareness in order to warn your carry of ganks or look for opportunities of your own). I'd suggest taking a 2 or 3 role. A lot of those heroes are pretty noob friendly and would allow you to basically work on your game while contributing to the team without being too heavily relied on as the carry or hard support.

In most low bracket pub games playing a hard support generally goes to waste anyway. As your team is going to consist of hard carries and semi-carries played as hard carries leaving you as the lone support and of course you'll get blamed for anything and everything that goes wrong. Picking a hero that CAN support but has a great lane presence and/or team fight ability will allow you to learn multiple roles as you jump back and forth.

If you're adamant on learning how to support (which I highly suggest, it's the only role I play) I suggest reading www.dotafire.com/dota-2/guide/work-in-progress-5728 and then joining a nook friendly guild or getting together with a group of friends and stacking. Only way to learn how to play as a team is to play with like minded individuals. Not the randoms, Russians, and Brazilians you'll find in solo que.

Hovin

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by mysqrl » October 14, 2013 5:27pm | Report
I suggest looking at this hero dificulty rating chart:

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Guides:Hero_Difficulty#The_Rating_Chart

also support must really know how, when and where to ward, so check this out too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQjjz6chXPc

mysqrl

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved