Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

New Player Tips and Tricks

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » New Player Tips and Tricks 18 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Raidhyn » September 7, 2012 8:08am | Report
Being new to DoTA 2 I thought it would be nice to get a collection of Tips and Tricks for players new to the game who might be wondering about some of the finer points. This type of thread tends to exist and be incredibly useful to new players since it can contain information that usually doesn't make its way into a guide.

I'll start off with a couple...

To ping the Mini-Map: Alt+click

To 'deny' you have to 'attack move' your own creep. You can bind this to anything you want in the options menu, I have it on one of my mouse buttons.

When you Random in All Pick games you get 200 bonus starting gold, part of the reason you see a lot of randoming in pub games.

Raidhyn

Notable (4)
Steam: Raidhyn
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » September 7, 2012 8:12am | Report
To draw on the map, hold Ctrl + Click :p
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sarcy » September 7, 2012 10:26am | Report
Create an autoexec.cfg in your dota 2 cofig files. This way you can enable/disable options not readily available through in-game options.

A few that I find particularly useful:
Code:
dota_force_right_click_attack 1 dota_disable_range_finder 0 bind "7" "say_team *** TOP MIA ***" bind "8" "say_team *** MID MIA ***" bind "9" "say_team *** BOT MIA ***" bind "0" "say_team *** RE ***"
well you get the idea :D if you need I can create a tutorial on how to do this or even give you a copy of my own autoexec.cfg

Sarcy

Remarkable (27)
Steam: Sarcyn_
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Glayde » September 8, 2012 3:23pm | Report
^ interesting. Btw, congrats on the blue name. Dunno what it means though.

Shift-click to prepare actions.

Ex. Sand King ult -> Shift-click Blink Dagger

This will blink you mmediately after your ult finishes channeling.

My Hero Guides: Furion
My Ideas for Dota: Iron Guardian, Rafael, the Split Being
Check this out.

Glayde

Notable (13)
Steam: Zephyr
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sarcy » September 8, 2012 7:51pm | Report
Thanks mate, Blue name just means that I am now a moderator and can assist the admins in handling reports, cleaning up spam posts .etc

With regards to the Order Queuing, that can work well as long as the fight isn't constantly moving. You could queue to where the fight was just a second ago and lose your ult's effectiveness for it.

Sarcy

Remarkable (27)
Steam: Sarcyn_
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Glayde » September 11, 2012 10:18pm | Report
Also, always carry TP scrolls with you. And learn the pros and cons about most of the heroes, it will help a bunch.

Check this out.

Glayde

Notable (13)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Raidhyn » September 13, 2012 3:42pm | Report
To cancel your attack animation you need to press the stop key which is set to 'S' as default. If you ever watch pro-games on YouTube and it seems like heroes are spasming a bit before they last hit...it's because of cancelling.

Raidhyn

Notable (4)
Steam: Raidhyn
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » September 13, 2012 3:43pm | Report
Raidhyn wrote:

To cancel your attack animation you need to press the stop key which is set to 'S' as default. If you ever watch pro-games on YouTube and it seems like heroes are spasming a bit before they last hit...it's because of cancelling.

I set that key to "H" since it was the default one on Warcraft III and I'm used to it :D
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Glayde » September 13, 2012 11:10pm | Report
Know the items and goodmitem builds, good atarting builds, counters, etc. Ex. Go for 3 Iron Branches and a single Tango if you want a fast Bottle.

Check this out.

Glayde

Notable (13)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by AkiTsubasa » January 20, 2013 10:42pm | Report
remember, cheap item always better than expensive item, but you do not have so much slot

AkiTsubasa

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved