Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Bristleback build doubts

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Bristleback build doubts 12 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by shootaline » November 27, 2013 2:41am | Report
I have some ideas about a build for Bristleback in PUBs and I would like knowing more points of view about that.

To begin with I think the best way to play Bristleback is spam Quill Spray while you back enemies and use Viscous Nasal Goo to get melee enemies as far as possible.

According this play style, items would be:

Starting:

- Quelling Blade
- Tango
- Iron Branch x3

Early-Core:

- Magic stick/Boots
- Magic wand? (maybe keep magic stick and sell Iron branches is a better option).
- Vitality Booster/Arcane Boots/Heart of Tarrasque/Radiance (order depends situation)

Luxurious:
- Veil of discord
- Assault Cuirass

Situational:
- Hood of defiance
- Drum of endurance

Skills build:

- Viscous Nasal Goo: 2/12/13/14
- Quills spray: 3/4/8/9
- Bristleback: 1/5/7/10
- Warpath: 6/11/16

The mainly problem of this build is its items: Heart of Tarrasque and Radiance aren't cheap. If you farm well and get HoT soon you become a kill machine and use these kills to get the gold for radiance.

The skills build is thinking for you have early survivability but you're able to get some kills too.

Drum of endurance is a situational item because Viscous Nasal Goo gives you all movement speed advantages you need. You don't need DoE for kill a lifestealer for example. But maybe you would need it against an alchemist or sven. Remember the main objective of this build is get Heart of Tarrasque and Radiance as soon as posible.

shootaline

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Mr. Nuke » November 27, 2013 8:49am | Report
Bristleback (as I play him) is a tank who can turn on people if they commit to chasing him. From what I see this is the same playstyle?

I wouldn't get a quelling blade since his attack animation is great (better since 6.79), maybe if you're getting used to him then sure, but mostly I'd get stout instead since he hasn't got the highest of health and that plays towards your early game tankiness.

I definitely agree with the Magic Wand, that sudden heal allows you to surprise anyone chasing you and then gives you the mana to chase and spam his low cooldown spells.

Luckily HoT is in cheap parts (minus Reaver). The Vitality Booster is probably the best first item to get towards Heart but the Reaver gives you way more in both HP and damage if you participated in early ganks and got a bit more money. Remember, the more HP you have, the more Quill Sprays you can potentially fire.

Hood of Defiance is a great item since it gives HP regen and resistance, maybe think about making that a early core rather than situational? Regarding Veil of Discord; Bristleback's abilities do PHYSICAL damage so Veil of Discord isn't going to increase anything.

Basically, you should get Hood or at least a cloak before Heart and Radiance IMHO because Bristleback won't survive long if he doesn't tank up beforehand and magic nukes are stronger than right-click in the early-mid game.
Bristleback - Making chasers kill themselves since 28/3/2013

Smuggels wrote:

the giant hamster is revived by Drow the dog using the power of the best pie in the world.
the daughter who was beaten now is a the ultimate fighter after training for years since she never wants to be beaten again, she learns all forms of killing and martial arts and is now an unstoppable machine, she teams up with drow the dog and rides the giant hamster into battle against the dark lord Gabe Vovlo, crushing his Steam empire and freeing all the slaves under steam sales control.

Mr. Nuke

Notable (3)
Steam: Mr. Crit
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by jendoel » November 27, 2013 10:11am | Report
nice

jendoel

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » November 27, 2013 10:45am | Report
You need more mana to spam more Quill Spray and Goo, I suggest getting Drum of Endurance(great item overall) and getting a Rod of Atos.Sure, this might delay your heart, but they are useful and make you be a bit more versatile with the initiation and the chasing.They are making you have more utility.

You might argue that you want a Hood of Defiance, but you should get it only if the enemy has 3 or more magic damage users or extreme burst(in case of extreme burst, a Cloak would do just fine).

A Medallion of Courage is very good too since the -armor goes really well with Quill Spray and goo in the early game.

Suggesting to perhaps start with Goo for that potential of getting an easy first blood.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » November 27, 2013 12:27pm | Report
You really dont need a quelling blade since his damage is good. What you do want is a stout shield, also get a tango and a salve. You will need it if you are against a lane that can harrass. And if you want to be agressive which you should since he is not the hardest carry. And after a fight you need that salve.
Also veil doesnt make any sense, since the spikes are not magic damage, in that regard medallion of courage would make more sense. Basi ring is also great becouse of the armor and mana.
After that get some mid game items, i usually go blademail but you could also go hood, drums, vit booster. For some lategame go assault cuirass and/or heart.

If you are stomping go radiance for teh lulz.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by William » November 28, 2013 2:06am | Report
Bristleback is like Axe, in that getting hit usually helps him.

You want a Stout shield.

William

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (7)
Steam: Bill
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by PeachFuzz » November 28, 2013 10:52am | Report
Consider getting an Armlet. That raw HP boots is not to be underestimated.

I'd also get Treads/Phase Boots over Arcanes. Sure getting Arcane boots lets you spam your skills, but considering how bursty most games are, better attack speed, HP, or movement speed is probably better.

Edit: yes get a Stout Shield

PeachFuzz

Notable (11)
Steam: PeachFuzz
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by shootaline » November 28, 2013 12:43pm | Report
Thanks guys for all your answers :)

@Mr. Nuke

Yes, it's the same playstyle :P

You and other users (@Timminatorr, @William & @PeachFuzz) are right I'll change Quelling Blade by Stout shield. Thanks guys.

About Hood of Defiance I think 2125 gold is so much. I put Hood of Defiance (and cloak implicitly) as situational cause I think it doesn't worth it in all matches. I have in mind buy it but only when I really need it. Cloak really is cheaper and probably I'll buy it more often than HoD.

Anyway I want to play some matches going for Heart of Tarrasque and Radiance directly but I'm going to play some matches too going for Hood of Defiance before HoT and Radiance.

About Veil of Discord... nothing to say except I did a big mistake lol hahaha

@wulfstan

On the need to increase of Bristleback's mana pool/regen. I think Arcane Boots is the best for this goal. It's true that Drum of Endurance give you stats and movement speed too but I really think I can skip that step and go for HoT.

About Rod of Atos... I could buy that but I'd be away of my main aim (HoT and Radiance) so I see it as possible luxury item or situational.

I think a Medallion of Courage is a good item for Bristleback although I didn't include it because 1075 gold is almost a Vitality Booster (for HoT).

I sometimes start with Goo and of course I'm going to do that when the situation demands it.

@William

I don't think Bristleback style is like Axe. Axe really do tons of damage when trading blows and have a great ulti for killing enemies. Bristleback have to be the tank at teamfights but I think you should try avoid face to face against carry enemies (who probably have items which gives them better dps than yours) instead of trading blows. You have to try to distract enemies for they focus you meanwhile you're partners destroy them. And when a carry try to chase you, you should Goo him and keep the distance.

shootaline

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » November 29, 2013 7:04am | Report
Dont underestimate bristleback's dps in the midgame. With warpath and the minus armor you can bash almost any carry into the ground. And if they have a hero that is great at 1v1 manfighting like ursa or troll, just buy an early blademail and kick their ***.
He is supposed to fight early, before their 1 role carry has the items he needs to fight.
In some of my games id rather have no assault cuirass or heart on my bristleback becouse the game was supposed to end by now. The only time that i pick them up is becouse i was farming buildings in their base.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » November 30, 2013 10:42am | Report
Quoted:
On the need to increase of Bristleback's mana pool/regen. I think Arcane Boots is the best for this goal. It's true that Drum of Endurance give you stats and movement speed too but I really think I can skip that step and go for HoT.

About Rod of Atos... I could buy that but I'd be away of my main aim (HoT and Radiance) so I see it as possible luxury item or situational.

I think a Medallion of Courage is a good item for Bristleback although I didn't include it because 1075 gold is almost a Vitality Booster (for HoT).

I sometimes start with Goo and of course I'm going to do that when the situation demands it.

Before you say anything else, hear me out.The problem with rushing a Heart of Tarrasque so quickly is that it's going to leave you bare *** naked in the mid game.Sure, you might argue, you have a Vitality Booster, Arcane Boots (if not, Power Treads, Phase Boots are trash on Bristleback, because the extra movespeed gets lost once you cast a spell, and Bristleback has to spam them) and a Bracer, just as an example.If you rush the heart, you have 2 options:

-You buy the cheapest things first, leaving the reaver last, and starting with the vitality booster after your boots are done.

-You start with the reaver, but due to the lack of your teamfight power in the midgame, you'll probably die and never amass so much gold to even buy it.

Rule #1 with Bristleback: Cheap and effective.You need the extra mana from drums, the extra HP, the extra armor and attack speed + the attack speed given by the aura.Medalion is not mandatory, but with it you can take down a target's armor to -14 if 4 stacks of lvl 3 Goo on him + the medalion.

The Rod of Atos, it might seem meh, but it has a good build up and the slow it gives, you can initiate with it from up to 1200 distance away, which is always good, think about spotting a target while smoked, and you can slow him without even getting detected.Then you can proceed on stacking the goo on him or gooing another target.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved