Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Bad attitudes of player base.

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Bad attitudes of player base. 31 posts - page 2 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sacha » February 21, 2013 8:37am | Report
manic_e wrote:

Hi Sacha I'm relatively new as well and although I haven't had the same problems I have seen others be targeted by more experienced players. I don't have any friends who play this either and would really like to play with a partner. My steam id is is manic537 feel free to add me. I'm English but I mostly play at night.

Same here I'm from UK. My steam is Alexithymiaaa. Pleased to meet ya. ;)

Sacha

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by DJConnelly » February 21, 2013 8:49am | Report
Everyone I play with is just as bad as me. Just a lot of people calling each other noobs tbh. One or two muppets who don't know what they're on about and shut up as soon as you call them out. I do have friends who play it but they are n a much higher bracket than me so I'd rather just work my way up until I feel like I'm good enough not to drag an entire team down.

DJConnelly

Notable (1)
Steam: Grand Moff Tarkin
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kurti » February 22, 2013 10:01pm | Report
I can understand your frustration very well, I guess it is common to many of us. Public games are often a nightmare. Quite often at the beginning looking at the group composition you can already estimate, how the game will end up. People don't listen etc. One thing that annoys me the most is the early leaving and in that instance I believe the 'sanctions' should be much harder (ban of a day maybe?). Yesterday I finished a game alone against five (well it still took them ages to destroy our base :-)). But the quitting is very annoying. It is absolutely possible to turn a match, if the team starts to play differently.

Kurti

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by undeadking » February 23, 2013 10:01pm | Report
Unfortunately you meet a lot of people who think it is ok to abuse others in game. Luckily it does happen in voice chat much, but in text it is a free for all in some games. They'll also report you for things like putting a sentry ward in the wrong place.

undeadking

View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Misery » February 24, 2013 5:40am | Report
Hades4u wrote:

The single thing you do to avoid this is to play with friends, it's the single solution. You'll always encounter rude people while match making without a party.

Unfortunately, this just isnt doable for many. I'm in the same situation as the OP, in that I dont really know many that play this. I know like, TWO people that play it.... one of them is super-easily frustrated (at anything, not just this game) and so ends up not playing as much, and the other one really IS interested quite alot in the game, but just doesnt always have time, or his times and mine simply dont match up.

To the OP, if someone is being a jerk though... really, just mute them. Dont bother talking back to them or flinging insults or anything, as that can get YOU reported. If they're being a major problem, simply report them afterwards, and move on. Jerkwad players can be found at all levels of the game, unfortunately, though I hear that it goes down a bit as you get into higher-ranked games, which makes sense, alot of the true "troll" players will never actually get very far (due to spending all of their time trolling). Just do your best in each match no matter what. That's what I always try to do. If things are going stupidly, I just do what I can. I figure, I can at least try to do as much damage as possible, or focus on working on something like last-hitting or whatever. And if it's not being fun... take a break from it for a couple of days. That can really help.

Really though, you find players like that in *any* competetive game, not just this one. I know this genre has a reputation for having an extreme amount of them, but... they really do exist everywhere in competetive gaming as a whole. Just gotta put up with them and move on.

Misery

Notable (1)
Steam: Misery
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Col3yf » February 25, 2013 8:54am | Report
How can you tell what priority pool you are in?

Col3yf

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by manic_e » February 25, 2013 12:42pm | Report
It tells you when searching for a match and at the start of a match, instead of the "don't forget to commend and report players message"

manic_e

Notable (6)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » February 25, 2013 1:08pm | Report
I've never been thrown into the cesspit of low myself, but have occasionally played with friends who have been...and it ain't much fun...but then again it's meant to be a punishment!

Think generally all you can do is try to conduct yourself in the right way, I play a fair bit of public matchmaking an occasional "ty" or "gj" and go a long way. As can a "pls" at the end of something. "Can we get some wards pls" goes down a lot better than "OMG get some wards you ******" - know I'm preaching to the choir here - we all have bad games, we all sometimes get stuck with idiot team mates - these are the times when you have to be at your best.

I try hard to only report people for genuine abuse or intentional bad play, and thank/commend people who play for the team and help out. It's amazing what sharing a few tangos can do!

And yep, be sure to add people who seem nice and play for the team - you can always remove them later if you don't get on!
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by mattyg2787 » May 15, 2013 3:33pm | Report
I've been in low priority a few times, normally for abandonment (IRL issues - see small child)
I've stopped playing them when I'm in there. Last one I played, my team picked rikki, drow, enchantress, someone else and I played LD ( I picked first)

I ended up mid, and about 12 minutes in, I had to buy the courier - I can still live with this. First 10 minutes, enchantress died 8 times and was still taunting their team. I was carrying the team as much as one player can (I think the 10 minute score was about 15-3 kills). I then got abused by the enchantress for not having bear summoned (on CD)

Someone else left, game was safe to leave and I was out. Painful painful experience.

mattyg2787

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ancient Hero » May 15, 2013 7:00pm | Report
Don't worry, once you move up the ladder, the expeirence will be much better. If its bad, then try playing with friends. A good place to find some would be /r/dota2pubs. I'm also sure that people here are willing to play with you. In high/very high its more just trolling. The players tend to be fine in terms of attitude but this is in every multiplayer game.

Ancient Hero
<Editor>

Notable (17)
Steam: smiles

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved