Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Bad attitudes of player base.

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Bad attitudes of player base. 31 posts - page 1 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sacha » February 20, 2013 5:18pm | Report
So far it hasn't been worse than what I was expecting up until today. I unfortunately have ended up in low priority because: A) I got reported because I explained to my team that picking 5 hard carrys is not good. (I picked first of any before you ask.) B) I had to leave 1 game early for irl situation.

Today has just been one of the worst gaming experiences of my life. The people I've encountered have made me want to throw my laptop across my room and I'm an extremely calm person!

People blame you for their own mistakes. Or blame you for getting killed when they don't report missing. Or call you a feeder for being ganked by Riki / BH. It's starting to get on my nerves it is every game.

I'm not even playing that badly, honestly. I played worse in my first few games and people were nice about it offering help.

How do you guys cope with this level of behavior it is intolerable!

Sacha

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Gregcarman890 » February 20, 2013 5:30pm | Report
I had this exact same problem, And the reality is that the low-priority system sucks.

It's essentially all the Rage Quitters and Little kids, Whenever i get stuck in low priority i just don't play until it's over.

Note: One time i was in low priority for 12 hours, I figured id play anyways. Only to get reported by my whole team for not speaking portugese, Ended up with 3 days low priority. :[

Gregcarman890

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sacha » February 20, 2013 5:53pm | Report

I had this exact same problem, And the reality is that the low-priority system sucks.

It's essentially all the Rage Quitters and Little kids, Whenever i get stuck in low priority i just don't play until it's over.

Note: One time i was in low priority for 12 hours, I figured id play anyways. Only to get reported by my whole team for not speaking portugese, Ended up with 3 days low priority. :[

No joke.. just got exact same except reported for not speaking Russian.

Ridiculous.

I don't mind playing with people of low ability - I fit that category myself. It's unfortunate that the majority of these low ability / priority people seem to be nothing more than trolls and flamers.

Sacha

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kruggles » February 20, 2013 6:34pm | Report
Its ultimately the problem that I think a lot of people are finding. It doesn't come down to the lack of skill, but rather, the lack of common courtesy. There are A LOT of jerks in the Dota-verse. It is awesome when I encounter people who are nice, helpful, or at least have some desire to play the game as a team game, but it absolutely sucks when, while playing on a US ENGLISH server, I encounter 4 other people who don't speak English and ping spam all day and expect me to understand their meaning.

I have had to fight over the courier with people JUST to get my stuff out of it (this being when the courier was halfway to me with my stuff, and someone is sending it back to base)(I died while doing this because a Bounty Hunter caught me while I was distracted fighting over the courier). I don't understand people like this.

Don't get me wrong, I like the ability to report players for not being nice or stuff, but I feel like it gets abused right now.
Fire: If it isn't solving all your problems, then you simply aren't using it enough.

Kruggles

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ancient Hero » February 20, 2013 7:06pm | Report
This stuff happens and its in pretty much all video games. Its more common here since Dota is such a team game. Just try to avoid them and mute them. I had a game where we started good then once things go sour, people start raging. Trying playing in a party so you know who is with you and that they dont rage. It's also sad when people can't speak english and go on a server that is primaraly english. If you speak spanish, then please go to a server that is mainly spanish (south american?) even on EU west, the people mostly speak english(even if they have an accent) Its great playing with people who at least have some courtesy though and wont rage when someone is losing.

Ancient Hero
<Editor>

Notable (17)
Steam: smiles
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kruggles » February 20, 2013 7:39pm | Report
I think what gets annoying about it is that, more so than some other online games, such as TF2, it is difficult to compensate for non-teamplayers and people who rage alot. The system makes it so that you can get heavily punished when someone thinks they can solo a teamfight or lane as a hardcarry against stun chains. It is made worse when people think that everyone needs to step aside because everyone else is 'so bad'.

My point is, it is not so much that these people are 'unique' to Dota so much as the consequences of having such people around is about 5x more detrimental to the team.

And yes, I try and play with as many people as I know as possible. Unfortunately, we as a group have a long way to go before we start winning even easy pub matchups (which somehow never seem to come our way. I swear, since when is getting matched against teams 7 levels higher than me with lvl 1 newbies fair?
Fire: If it isn't solving all your problems, then you simply aren't using it enough.

Kruggles

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kruggles » February 20, 2013 8:08pm | Report
A quote from the Dota2 Wiki that might help shed some light on this situation:

"The overall objective of each match is to rage at the opposing force's defenses, in order to arrive at and destroy the opponents' Ancient Fortress. Because Dota 2 is highly team-oriented, players must coordinate with their teams in order to achieve maximum rage."

http://dota.wikia.com/wiki/Dota_2

I think some people take the directions literally.

Kruggles

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » February 21, 2013 5:05am | Report
The single thing you do to avoid this is to play with friends, it's the single solution. You'll always encounter rude people while match making without a party.
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sacha » February 21, 2013 5:16am | Report
I don't have any friends irl who play this. I don't know anyone in DOTA either! It would be ideal to just play with friends but that isn't always possible.

At the end of the day, I can see how it is annoying to end up losing matches but if someone is playing badly I NEVER just flame them. I always try offer some advice the best I can.

Last night was just people telling me how bad I was (Slightly unfairly imo) without offering any kind of help. Even when I asked "So how can I not die to solo BH gank?" they have no answer. Just "omfg report xxxxx feeder."

Reporting should just be for AFK'ers / People who continually abuse and harrass others. Not for playing badly - that is down to personal opinion. Everyone gotta learn sometime and people should be more willing to help out. It's in everyones interest.

Sacha

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by manic_e » February 21, 2013 8:04am | Report
Hi Sacha I'm relatively new as well and although I haven't had the same problems I have seen others be targeted by more experienced players. I don't have any friends who play this either and would really like to play with a partner. My steam id is is manic537 feel free to add me. I'm English but I mostly play at night.

manic_e

Notable (6)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved