Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Answer me this: When should a player start considering what character to be good at?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Answer me this: When should a player start considering what character to be good at? 23 posts - page 2 of 3
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » August 14, 2012 5:21pm | Report
Bag3l wrote:

I like being able to kill the enemy fast and efficiently, and being useful in team fights. I find Lion is extremely easy to counter if the other team has a Morphling, and I like Jugg because I can be in and out. I'm bad when I dedicate myself to a straight up melee fight cuz i get too distracted and end up not firing off skills or items.

Killing fast and efficiently you say... Hmm, you could try Pudge maybe? He's really useful too, catching fleeing enemies, hooking enemies so your team can kill them, save teammates, etc.
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Iratesniper » August 15, 2012 9:49am | Report
Bag3l wrote:

I like being able to kill the enemy fast and efficiently, and being useful in team fights.

You just described a whole wall of heroes, as Hades said, maybe you need a change in heroes. Getting yourself well rounded in heroes isn't ever a bad thing :)

Iratesniper

Notable (5)
Steam: Iratesniper
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Glayde » August 15, 2012 1:59pm | Report
That actually narrows it down to about nukers and carries...maybe Lycan?

My Hero Guides: Furion
My Ideas for Dota: Iron Guardian, Rafael, the Split Being
Check this out.

Glayde

Notable (13)
Steam: Zephyr
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by daPhongster » August 18, 2012 1:31pm | Report
I have the same amount of experience as you do,(200 games), and I have played every hero Dota 2 has to offer but about 10.

Anyway, Kunkka is a good pick if you like a carry useful in teamfights. Faceless Void can work, too.

daPhongster

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by pineapplepro » September 1, 2012 3:02pm | Report
I'm personally favored towards semi-carries and nukers/gankers, because I really don't like farming all game like void or PA, but I still enjoy playing carries occasionally.

pineapplepro

Notable (1)
Steam: pineapplepro
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by DirtGrub » September 9, 2012 4:47pm | Report
Personally, I try to play new heroes as much as possible, while in between new heroes I go to my old ones just so I stay fresh with them. Pubs suck because of randoms and people that don't like team chemistry at all, which most of the time forces me to play a certain hero or type of hero. Eventually I just got the hang of it. I mostly play supports because no one likes to play them and I do. ES, Disruptor, and Rhasta for life! those three are my main men and my teams do better overall when I play them.

DirtGrub
<Editor>

Notable (13)
Steam: DirtGrub
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by DirtGrub » September 9, 2012 4:48pm | Report
Additionally, like hades said, find friends. There are people in the community that are willing to group up and play. I made several random friends through pub matchmaking and now I pretty much play with at least one other person. Makes life and games so much easier.

DirtGrub
<Editor>

Notable (13)
Steam: DirtGrub
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Nubtrain » September 16, 2012 5:45am | Report
Well for any hero you must master the basics then the hero, master efficient/smart farming for carries, warding/babysit/etc for general supporting, grow some balls for initiators.

Mastering the basics is the best IMO, on some days I random every time even if I rarely played that certain hero, i.e Chen...

Nubtrain
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (58)
Steam: Nubtrain
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ReevoH » September 19, 2012 9:13pm | Report
Bag3l wrote:

Also, there are obviously people out there (including the ones playing high ranked tournaments) that practice with just one, if not a select few, of characters in order to be more effective than well rounded.

This is definitely true for rolls in team composition. Glayde said it pretty well but I will expand a little bit. You could try playing the roll that you have the most fun with whether it be hard carry, initiator, jungler, nuker, or support. Once you find out which roll is the most exciting for you (or comes the most naturally) you can then learn to play all the specific heros in that roll so that if you do decide to play on a team with defined rolls you will be able to play them all.

I tend to do what Dirtgrub does, I play all the heros but I always go back to the ones I love or the ones that will compliment my team composition the most.

Hope that helps!

ReevoH

Steam: thimzsownzu
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Captain Planet » October 16, 2012 4:51pm | Report
In my opinion, with experience of the dota meta game, you should be able to function with any hero on a competative level. What will seperate you is the ability to play versatile and situational when the need be. So choose your hero based off of what the team has/ needs. I find that It is best to let the other people play what they are comfortable with and I play what we need. Whatever the situation calls for.

Of course I have some favored heroes... but if the team doesn't need them I definately don't play one. Case and point, if you only play Void, and you are considered the best void player in the world, you probably are not going to win in a game where the rest of your team picks all melee carries with no cc :(. Being versatile allows you to build around others... not others build around you. This will get you more wins then just playing.

I have played plenty of games where I had to switch my build from a carry like Void to getting a sheep stick with him Like WTF why would someone ever do that... well i was having issues with chrono then this audacious enchantress would sit outside of crono and peg me to death. Well I saved face and scored triple kills the rest of the game because I sheeped her.

Captain Planet

Notable (4)
Steam: Captain Planet

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved