Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Why is ratting frowned upon?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Why is ratting frowned upon? 12 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by UltraSuperHyper » October 14, 2015 9:18pm | Report
Why is it? It's supposed to to be a strat like the rest. Then why do people not like it?

UltraSuperHyper

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: UltraSuperHyper
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Cuttleboss » October 14, 2015 9:45pm | Report
In pubs, the gameplay is about ganking and teamfights because that is mostly considered the most fun way to play dota. That's why Pudge and whatever fotm ganker carry is always most popular in game. Because pubbers love teamfights it's given massive winrate to heroes like Spectre and Necrophos who just wrecks these.

Now, on ratting. Ratting is the only way to counter really teamfight based drafts. I think it's frowned upon for several reasons.
1. For your enemies it forces them to chase you instead of fight so people hate playing against it, especially if it means they get less money than usual and have to chase the AM across the map.
2. For your allies it requires them to put faith in you and that terrifies some people. And it makes their game painful since you're not around to help fight so people often hate playing with rats. We have all had a game where Prophet thought he was making the right choices but just kept feeding the Slark.
3. Ratting was impossible in the last patch because Storm was the most overpowered hero in pubs so people have forgotten about it.

But yeah. Rat if the game calls for it or if you're lone druid, lycan, or naga where it is the only thing you can do. Don't do it against Legion, Nyx, or Meepo and you're fine.

Cuttleboss
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » October 14, 2015 10:02pm | Report
It's looked down upon?

Well ain't that something sad.

*squeak squeak*

*scurry*

Radiant's bottom tower has fallen.

Radiant's bottom barracks are under attack.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » October 15, 2015 12:10am | Report
its actually pretty simple

you dont fight and you run away.

they try and fight you and you run away :P thats cowardly or a rat.

but meh i dont mind it i dislike it when it achieves nothing. if your a rat.... squeak squeak rat away but dont just run away without achieving anything thats what i hate.

the rats that are cowards. gives ratting a bad name. your supposed to be taking towers and forcing people to hunt you and if your not doing that then GTFO

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KEEP CALM AND FEED » October 15, 2015 12:46am | Report
Smuggels wrote:

its actually pretty simple

you dont fight and you run away.

they try and fight you and you run away :P thats cowardly or a rat.

but meh i dont mind it i dislike it when it achieves nothing. if your a rat.... squeak squeak rat away but dont just run away without achieving anything thats what i hate.

the rats that are cowards. gives ratting a bad name. your supposed to be taking towers and forcing people to hunt you and if your not doing that then GTFO

Wanna hate on rat?
5 man up and take towers. what will one rat do when his mates dies while defending a tower and yo5 eat one lane worth of towers?>
He RATS!!
WAHAHAHAHAHAHA

KEEP CALM AND FEED

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (15)
Steam: KEEP CALM AND FEED
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » October 15, 2015 12:52am | Report

Wanna hate on rat?
5 man up and take towers. what will one rat do when his mates dies while defending a tower and yo5 eat one lane worth of towers?>
He RATS!!
WAHAHAHAHAHAHA

well yes and no. you first have to have a decent team to be able to do that. second you need the enemy to not have a strong 4 man fight. try pushing into pugna magnus SF leshrac bristleback medusa disrupter enigma and many more. the reason why rats are rats is because they have the ability to take towers quickly. treants, deso, increase in structure damage i.e bear or tiny, summons.

plus what happens in you push as 5 to take a tower and you fail? the rat is left alone and does what he does best ... rat away.

BUT then again if the team is useless against 5 man push then of course your going to make the most of it. usually it comes down to balls.

who has the biggest pair ;)

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KEEP CALM AND FEED » October 15, 2015 1:47am | Report
It usually comes down to whether your 5 man>their 4 man.

At least in pubs.

Also, if someone that is not a rat pushes a tower, I have gathered that it does not immediately invoke a response from the enemy. So if I am one support that has a ring of basilus and push an early tower, I find they don't use glyph or no TPs.

But maybe that's my bracket. And hence I win whenever my ping is low.
point is rats are not self sufficient. They resort to be left alone so they build an infestation and then they release themselves like some horde of locusts that cant be stopped.
Think about it

Tiny needs aghs
TB needs BoTs
Naga needs radiance
Lycan needs necrobook.
BM needs lots of levels and a necro book
Druid needs level 7 and not be shut down in lane
pugna needs some hero with him and an unattended lane
DK can push at 6
WR needs 6
DP needs 6 and idle tower

You really need to wreck lanes,their lanes so they take time to make their rat infestation.

KEEP CALM AND FEED

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (15)
Steam: KEEP CALM AND FEED
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » October 15, 2015 7:30am | Report
No one mention Tinker?

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » October 15, 2015 9:00am | Report
I have a foot in both camps. I think it's a legitimate way of winning games if winning is what really matters. Alliance won a TI and with millions of dollars at stake you can hardly frown upon them finding a way to win that's within the rules of the game, and was executed with skill and strategy.

On the other hand...ratting can be so boring. It can be extremely frustrating to combat if you don't have the right heroes to counter it. If you've ever played a ridiculously long game against a 6 slotted Naga Siren it's a very slow strangulation. You can feel powerless to stop the inevitable, or simply bored by having a few hundred HP knocked off one of your towers every few minutes until you lose the will to play.

Losing to superior ganking or teamfighting or just sheer brute force has the psychological effect of making it feel like a "fair" victory. You got outplayed, made mistakes, whatever. Ratting can feel like being beat without really being beat. If the game isn't fun because it's slow, unsatifying and dull...well game should be fun.

So I'm not going to totally frown upon it because it's legitimate, but I'd also say it frequently isn't fun.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dimonychan » October 15, 2015 10:55am | Report
Sando wrote:

I have a foot in both camps. I think it's a legitimate way of winning games if winning is what really matters. Alliance won a TI and with millions of dollars at stake you can hardly frown upon them finding a way to win that's within the rules of the game, and was executed with skill and strategy.

On the other hand...ratting can be so boring. It can be extremely frustrating to combat if you don't have the right heroes to counter it. If you've ever played a ridiculously long game against a 6 slotted Naga Siren it's a very slow strangulation. You can feel powerless to stop the inevitable, or simply bored by having a few hundred HP knocked off one of your towers every few minutes until you lose the will to play.

Losing to superior ganking or teamfighting or just sheer brute force has the psychological effect of making it feel like a "fair" victory. You got outplayed, made mistakes, whatever. Ratting can feel like being beat without really being beat. If the game isn't fun because it's slow, unsatifying and dull...well game should be fun.

So I'm not going to totally frown upon it because it's legitimate, but I'd also say it frequently isn't fun.

Not for the one who's ratting. You play 1 vs 5, Stirlitz and Donald Trump simulator at the same time.

Dimonychan

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (43)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved