Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

semi carry vs hard carry ...

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Thread Locked

This thread has been locked by the moderators, you cannot reply to it.

Forum » General Discussion » semi carry vs hard carry ... 12 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » April 7, 2014 1:12am | Report
ok so played a silencer last night and due to our specter not having a clue and team fighting at lvl six solo against 4...(he went 4-13-19 by the end)

i was forced into running a Carry silencer, surprisingly turned out well, i had 50 stack by 35 mins in and running a orchid Sycthe of Vyse Assault Ciur*** shivas and Ag Scepter plus BoT (i farmed like a baws) ...

i was up against a weaver with a full core .. butterfly desolater MKB linkens sphere and a radiance plus treads ..(i have no idea why he didnt grab a BKB or daedalus but hey my gain haha)

i was stupid and solo looked for a DD rune which i caught a glimpse of in bottom rune spot and it was gone but a weaver was there instead ... we fought and i won with about 700 hp remaining ... i hit like a freaking truck cracking out 400+ damage a hit but my question is...

Silencer is supposed to be a support or a situational semi carry.

what other heroes are similar that with some serious hard farm can do well against a hard carry?

i know an earth shaker farmed can dish out a stupidly large amount of damage in a very short period of time but thats more "clutch" play then anything else ....

any ideas ?

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ab4ddon._.E43 » April 7, 2014 1:44am | Report
My preferred way of playing silencer is as a 2 carry, he is really good.
He isnt really that good a support.

Other semi carries includes ench, storm, lina, sky,etc.
I am the Abaddon *****!!!

Ab4ddon._.E43

Notable (12)
Steam: Ab4ddon._.E43
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » April 7, 2014 2:24am | Report
Lina is in the same boat as silencer, can hit really hard, though probably not as hard as silencer, but is also really squishy and single target.
Visage is one of the best lategame supports, and can be played as a farmer but its not that needed since his dps is always enormous.
Abbadon can do some fast slashing and tanking.
Dazzle can be played as a farmer.
Enchantress has those HARD hitting impetus attacks.
Leshrac is REALLY good with farm, he just puts so much AOE magic out even hard carries have to fear.

And probably best of all...... CARRY TREANT PROTECTOR BIATCH!!!!!!11!1! Get dat quelling blade, get dat phase, get dat Radiance. Get dat assault cuirass and mjollnir.
Rooftrellen gets all the *****es.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Zerosaviour » April 7, 2014 8:07am | Report
Silencer is a situational support. Especially if the other team relies on spells more than auto attacks.

His Glaive of Wisdom does hit like a truck even at level 1.

Zerosaviour

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by sulaxrox » April 7, 2014 9:33am | Report
Silencer is very situational as already stated, his ultimate is a team fight winner against heavy casting lineups. Carry wise he is a semi carry that excels at bullying in lane and can snowball super hard. Utilize his damage capacity to snowball to an early finish, he's dead weight as a support otherwise, walking ultimate pretty much
Step 1: Pick Bristleback
Step 2: type in all chat:"GL hf"
Step 3: solo offlane
Step 4: first blood triple kill solo vs trilane
Step 5: continue head butting keyboard
Step 6: don't care, Bristleback doesn't give a ****
Step 7: screenshot repeated: BB OP comments in all chat
Step 8: alternate games with Slark pick

sulaxrox

Notable (6)
Steam: sulaxrox
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » April 7, 2014 10:39pm | Report
hmmm i usually run silencer as either a safe lane support or a mid ... i find in mid against QoP or tinker he does superbly well and against a pudge he owns... but in safe lane he has a real nice ability to baby sit his carry, sadly no stun makes him a non viable choice for tri lanes but his early game silence and mana burn does wonders against solo offlaners like timber or bristle and paired with a shadown shaman or a lion as baby sitters he slots in nicely ... why is he not played as a support? apart from the no stun arguments haha

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Zerosaviour » April 8, 2014 4:36am | Report
Smuggels wrote:

hmmm i usually run silencer as either a safe lane support or a mid ... i find in mid against QoP or tinker he does superbly well and against a pudge he owns... but in safe lane he has a real nice ability to baby sit his carry, sadly no stun makes him a non viable choice for tri lanes but his early game silence and mana burn does wonders against solo offlaners like timber or bristle and paired with a shadown shaman or a lion as baby sitters he slots in nicely ... why is he not played as a support? apart from the no stun arguments haha

There are other supports that give more and are able to farm better when allowed.

Look at Ancient Apparition. He doesn't have a real disable. But people love picking him due to his Ult being amazing.

So there are a lot more options to choose from for support. So most teams go with what works best for them. Which unfortunately doesn't include Silencer.

Zerosaviour

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » April 8, 2014 7:43am | Report
Smuggels wrote:

why is he not played as a support? apart from the no stun arguments haha

Curse of the Silent provides nice Harrass and Mana drain, but compared to other alternatives like Mana Burn and Mana Drain, it's pretty weak, and much easier to get rid of.

Glaives of Wisdom is nice for Harrass, but again, there are better alternatives, like Chilling Touch, Poison Sting or Arcane Bolt.

Last Word is incredibly useless against most Heroes, if you try to use it aggressively, it won't stop an Anti-Mage from Blinking away, defensively, it will only stop the Nuke after the Nuke that triggers the Silence and since most Burst Nukers will just Blink in and use their main Skill immediately, you're not going to stop them from getting kills with this. It does work well with a fast Orchid Malevolence though

Global Silence is nice, but not enough to justify the Hero as a Support

So basically, everything aside from his Ult can be done better with other Heroes

Personally, I see him as a potential Aggressive Tri-Lane Position 3, since with good back up, he can bully the other Team's Carry with Glaives, and will be where most of the Kills are. Would have to try this to find out though...

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » April 8, 2014 8:30am | Report
Dazzle and Vengeful Spirit can both be good semi-carries, same for Treant Protector.

Also, about the "support Silencer" argument, he's simply not picked as a support because he has no follow-up for trilane gank attempts and suffers a lot from the lack of levels. I like playing him as a support in a 2vs2 lane scenario though, since the Glaives of Wisdom don't draw the creep aggro and Last Word prevents enemies from bursting you (or your carry) down. You also get quicker levels and maybe some more gold, so it's perfect.
This applies to Warlock, Undying and Phoenix, too: generally bad trilane supports, but very good dual lane babysitters.

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » April 8, 2014 9:33am | Report
The guys have already explained why he's not a great support, the only thing I'd add is that's he slow and squishy as hell without equipment. Without a slow, stun or escape he's really vulnerable, even compared to squishy supports.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved