Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

6.87 Discussion Thread

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » 6.87 Discussion Thread 91 posts - page 7 of 10
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kyphoid returns » April 26, 2016 9:37pm | Report
Nah, i should go back to trolling you people.

Really like your reactions When i talk non sense(apparently) and implement it in the game.
Go On, Feed Me.

Kyphoid returns

Remarkable (42)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » April 27, 2016 2:26am | Report

[Why aren't people building her butility is beyond me. They just keep chasing damage. Just go anti armor or maelstrom HoTD. No one's gonna kill you by true strike in early game. Itemize accordingly!

Yeah, because a hero that has
Q : slows enemies and deals damage proportional to your attack damage
W : jumps on enemies and gives you attack speed
E : evasion and radar
R : big badass crit

is clearly a utility hero. There's no way the only viable way to play this hero is a glass cannon DPS build with BKB aiming at killing your target in one blink.

Why is any build that doesn't involve raw damage items on PA ****? Because she has an attack speed steroid and a crit. Attack speed steroids make you scale better with damage. Crits amplifiy your damage by a percentage as well, giving you a large benefit if you build a lot of damage and a negligible benefit if you don't build any. On top of this, PA's base damage is horrible.

Why is maelstrom PA bad? Because crits amplify physical damage, not lightning procs. Besides PA already has +130 attack speed so she doesn't need to build attack speed items like Mjollnir.

Why is armor reduction PA bad? Because you should have picked Clinkz instead of PA. Both heroes have exactly the same role, snowball carries with good late game scaling, the same laning options and an equally good lane presence. The big difference is that Clinkz has the same +130 attack speed steroid, but also has about +140 damage in steroids without items. So you clearly see why medallion/deso Clinkz is super good while the same build on PA is mediocre at best. Armor reduction amplifies the damage you deal without items, which is super high for Clinkz but extremely low for PA.

The ONLY thing PA scales with is damage items. There used to be this awesome PA item called Abyssal Blade that gave the hero 100 damage. Now it gives 10 damage. The most funny thing is, these days you still see Vanguard PA's building into abyssal. What do you think happens? Of course, they are utterly useless. Because damage block is clearly what a hero with 50% evasion needs.

You made a hero that only scales with raw physical damage items and then removed all physical damage items from the game. And meanwhile you even had the nerve to give the hero HARD NERFS TO HER Q, massively cutting down her last-hitting power in the laning stage. It went from 180 pure damage to ~100 physical damage. Now everybody misses CS in lane. Thanks OSFrog -_-

There are two remaining damage items in the game : Daedalus and Divine Rapier. If for some reason I am forced to play PA against my will, I will always go helm/BKB into one of these two. Because every other build deals no damage, which is kind of a shame on a hero that has nothing but damage steroids...
Actually, the least throwy build on PA right now is probably to go all-in by rushing a rapira. I'm not even joking. At least you have a chance to win by doing that. 10 second BKB plus rapira = 2 dead heroes in any teamfight, at least. And you can even oneshot enemies from afar with Stifling Dagger. Vanguard PA's chance to win is a hard 0.
/rant

BTW I will always call you Kyfroid. Like captain Ginyu, looks like a Frog, sounds like a Kyfoid :=)
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » April 27, 2016 2:51am | Report
100% with Hamster on this. If you're going to remove damage items, you need to give PA something else. I'll be doing an illusion build if I end up playing her, with Manta, Skadi, whatever, but there's no real point to doing that on PA over, say, some other heroes that actually got buffed and didn't have their best item made completely useless on them. Seriously, PA was terrible before and is probably the worst hero in the game now. At this stage, she'll pretty much need a rework unless a damage item is introduced.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kyphoid returns » April 27, 2016 3:49am | Report
Hamstertamer wrote:

Yeah, because a hero that has
Q : slows enemies and deals damage proportional to your attack damage
W : jumps on enemies and gives you attack speed
E : evasion and radar
R : big badass crit

is clearly a utility hero. There's no way the only viable way to play this hero is a glass cannon DPS build with BKB aiming at killing your target in one blink.

Why is any build that doesn't involve raw damage items on PA ****? Because she has an attack speed steroid and a crit. Attack speed steroids make you scale better with damage. Crits amplifiy your damage by a percentage as well, giving you a large benefit if you build a lot of damage and a negligible benefit if you don't build any. On top of this, PA's base damage is horrible.

Why is maelstrom PA bad? Because crits amplify physical damage, not lightning procs. Besides PA already has +130 attack speed so she doesn't need to build attack speed items like Mjollnir.

Why is armor reduction PA bad? Because you should have picked Clinkz instead of PA. Both heroes have exactly the same role, snowball carries with good late game scaling, the same laning options and an equally good lane presence. The big difference is that Clinkz has the same +130 attack speed steroid, but also has about +140 damage in steroids without items. So you clearly see why medallion/deso Clinkz is super good while the same build on PA is mediocre at best. Armor reduction amplifies the damage you deal without items, which is super high for Clinkz but extremely low for PA.

The ONLY thing PA scales with is damage items. There used to be this awesome PA item called Abyssal Blade that gave the hero 100 damage. Now it gives 10 damage. The most funny thing is, these days you still see Vanguard PA's building into abyssal. What do you think happens? Of course, they are utterly useless. Because damage block is clearly what a hero with 50% evasion needs.

You made a hero that only scales with raw physical damage items and then removed all physical damage items from the game. And meanwhile you even had the nerve to give the hero HARD NERFS TO HER Q, massively cutting down her last-hitting power in the laning stage. It went from 180 pure damage to ~100 physical damage. Now everybody misses CS in lane. Thanks OSFrog -_-

There are two remaining damage items in the game : Daedalus and Divine Rapier. If for some reason I am forced to play PA against my will, I will always go helm/BKB into one of these two. Because every other build deals no damage, which is kind of a shame on a hero that has nothing but damage steroids...
Actually, the least throwy build on PA right now is probably to go all-in by rushing a rapira. I'm not even joking. At least you have a chance to win by doing that. 10 second BKB plus rapira = 2 dead heroes in any teamfight, at least. And you can even oneshot enemies from afar with Stifling Dagger. Vanguard PA's chance to win is a hard 0.
/rant

BTW I will always call you Kyfroid. Like captain Ginyu, looks like a Frog, sounds like a Kyfoid :=)

Hey why is x hero bad, because if you wanted to do certain things you could go y hero.

Fail arguement.
You play a hero because you want to and because there is a definite skillset involved.

I have already agreed she needs something but let me tell you about diminishing margins. Nah, go google it.
The gist is you just cant be overly invested in one facet of a characteristic. If she has everything that speaks damage, then getting a normal damage crit compared to daedalus crit as compared to other carries should take you little effort or slots and you can utilize other slots to build survivability and utility for yourself

Definitely, i can bid you luck in your endeavours for rapira rush. Your life mate, choose however to live it and choose how to play PA. May RNGesus let you 3 shot all enemies together. But you can rant on this as you like, PA can get a mjoll+BKB+mkb+Manta+echosaber and silver edge or any other itemization to make use of her abilities!

Why deso pa is good , because she got a dagger now dealing physical damage that gets amped by corruption, she got a crit that you can prime.and you can even get echo saber + silver edge to dpster some keeeds.

@terathiel:i got to know you can play manta butterfly slardar.so this shouldn't be much of detriment;)

/rant.

You can be ginyu.. Frog that didnt reached ascendence.(i just quoted spectre did i?). :P

Or maybe kyphoid suits me coz i get the liberty to troll all i want and slip in usefull nuggets that people will summarily disregard.
Go On, Feed Me.

Kyphoid returns

Remarkable (42)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dimonychan » April 27, 2016 4:06am | Report

Fine, nerf the Rapira ******** and Flux being de-facto BKB-piecing and water down his W a little. Instead make his E less ****ty. That's good. That's called balancing. Nerfing field into oblivion and "fixing" Midas(you realize that Arc without Midas and Necro is the worst farmer in the game right?) just kills any potential the hero has.

And if you think that you've made him into utility core/support with Pipe and all that **** I'd like to remind you once again how good of a farmer Arc is without Midas(hint: he's complete garbage at farming).

Edit" also yea about that "x hero is bad cuz y hero does it better". It's irrelevant if you play "for fun" but if you plan on playing ranked without throwing the game I think you need to utilize the ******* strengths of the hero to their fullest potential.

If a hero does something worse than the other, it should be balanced with this same hero doing smth better than that other hero that isn't marginal. I.e if we compare PA(let's pretend you didn't kill her and she actually deals damage) and Clinkz, Clinkz offers way more dmg output including towers but PA has way better chasing. Other their strengths(survivability via Blur/Pact or ganking prowess via Blur/Windwalk) are roughly the same.

However, now that PA deals no damage she only has a chasing advantage which is marginal compared to her lack of DPS in the first place.

So yea, this argument is relevant if you talk about anything more serious than a casual pub skrubz game and you can't use that "every hero is unique" argument as an excuse for poor balancing. Pa's exclusive in the way that she can dodge 50% of incoming physical attacks... and nothing more :)

Dimonychan

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » April 27, 2016 4:43am | Report
I'd broadly agree on the PA issue...but there's always been an element of that in the hero design - 50% evasion is stronk...but it only lasts until opposing carries start picking up MKB. Then all you're really left with is crits, and a space closer/as booster.

So the shape of the hero is pretty much a snowballer with some late carry potential. You get "free" evasion, you get "free" crits, you get "free" mobility and some control. Heroes with "free" stuff tend to lose out later on once harder carries get items which essentially do the same thing, in addition to whatever else they've got.

So it would seem to make sense now to go for lower cost items which give impact but don't scale as well. Possibly stuff like Omlette, Shadow Blade/SE, Deso, Vlads (this combination also gives you better pushing, end the game sooner), Echo, BKB...possibly into AC/MKB/Daedalus/Basher for your later options.

Basically try to snowball and end the game or have an item advantage going into late. This maybe doesn't make her a great #1 anymore. Probably not a #2 as she's not a particularly competitive mid. Maybe as a semi-carry #3 with an offlane support.

It's kind of niche.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » April 27, 2016 7:28am | Report
I don't agree that there aren't damage items besides Daedalus and Divine Rapier.

First off, PA was never meant to be a late game carry. Her entire skill set screams "KILL PEOPLE EARLY LA AH MUI"

Vladmir's Offering: 15% damage, good aura, ends the game early.
Desolator: Which part of this isn't damage?
Black King Bar: A necessity

Maybe even Orchid Malevolence?

EDIT: Oh yea, Omelette is good too.

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by The Frosto » April 27, 2016 8:21am | Report
The problem with pa is that she needs to snowball but there are better snowball safelaners like Legion Commander, Clinkz, Chaos Knight

Those heroes are better at snowballing and ck doesn't even need to snowbal from the start of the game.

Pa needed an early game buff not a lategame buff to dagger.
Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in it.
-Cicero

And still every dota player flames someone else instead of himself.

The Frosto

Notable (14)
Steam: The Frosto
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » April 27, 2016 9:56am | Report
Another issue for her is RNG. 15% chance of crit is about 1/6, so while she has a good chance when combined with Phantom Strike it's not guaranteed, and is 'iffy' in general combat.

How about if Coup de Grace had an active that guaranteed her next hit was a critical?

It's probably too strong on it's own, so they'd have to be downsides of some kind - e.g. it only crits for half the usual amount, means the next X attacks won't crit, has a mana cost and/or something.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Bunkansee » April 27, 2016 10:08am | Report
Honestly I think Coup de Grace needs a buff or rework more than any of her other spells, honestly it is awful when compared to pretty much every crit in-game in the early game. The crit becomes really good at level 16 of course, but by then people have already bought glimmer capes, MKBS, BKBS, ghost scepters, silver edges, bloodthorns... there's just so much stuff in the late game that screws her over. She either needs a complete rework to make her more viable in the lategame or buffs to make her crit less useless in the early game.

Bunkansee
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (32)
Steam: Bunkansee

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved