Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Opinions Please! (For university project)

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Thread Locked

This thread has been locked by the moderators, you cannot reply to it.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >>
Forum
Forum » Off Topic » Opinions Please! (For university project) 61 posts - page 1 of 7
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yzreel » January 21, 2015 8:07am | Report
Okay, like the title has stated, I need your opinions to help me on my university project. I am sure that most of you have known about the case of Charlie Hebdo shooting, if you don't, just do a quick google search on it and I'm sure that you'll get the idea real quick. Anyway, can I get your most honest opinions on the matter? I will leave this post here, please feel free to discuss among yourselves since I will not be intruding with your opinions. Thank you beforehand to all who participate!

P.S: Please post your age, country of origin and educational background as well if possible
My hero ideas
Yzreel Hero Arsenal

Yzreel

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (30)
Steam: Yzreel
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Cuttleboss » January 21, 2015 8:37am | Report
Hello Yzreel. I try to avoid putting political opinions online, since I have a decent following on youtube, but you seem to want assistance so I will give one.

Context for me: Asian American boy. Holds mostly Western world views.

Charlie Hebdo makes fun of everyone from what I know. No one is being victimized in particular. It'd be like trying to kill Matt Stone and Trey Parker (the South park guys). I am aware that Muslims don't have it good in France, but as a rule, if you are in a country, you change things from within, you play by their rules, and you win. Hitler and Martin Luther King Jr did this, to very different results.

I put a high value on free speech as long as it doesn't directly encourage violence against people, it's the whole basis on my youtube channel and the stupid copyright flags I've had to fight since day one. I do not think anything is off limits, religion included. Muslims should not have their (Name eludes me right now) ripped off in public like that one lady, but the response should not be violence.

So as usual, everyone was wrong, but in this case, I gotta side against religion, as I am against censorship.

I gotta remember to take this down later, don't want my youtube fans finding it. Eh, whatever.

Cuttleboss
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » January 21, 2015 9:13am | Report
Me: 21 year old dutch male.

I wanted to make a thread about this after it happened, but i never really sat down with enough inspiration to write something about it.

Well what are you asking exactly?
Obviously i think killing people on the basis of religion is rediculous. actually i think believing in a god in this time is kind of weird with the knowledge we have now.

In my country we have a lot of spineless politicians instantly shouting stuff like: im afraid muslims will be looked at like terrorists, it has nothing do do with islam and inappropriate things like that.
sure there are a lot of muslims here who just distance themselves from that. but if you go to a school and ask a 15 year old muslim kid what he thinks about it, the chance is pretty high he will say: they shouldnt have killed innocent people but the cartoonists made cartoons about the prophet so they had to die.
Belive me i know people who asked.
So if western integrated muslims say that, what do muslims in the country of origin think?
So dont give me **** about terrorists not being muslims, there are different understandings about every religion.

meanwhile nothing is being done about decreasing the change of attacks, even though in belgium they have found muslims planning attacks. so unless our radical muslims are as spineless as most of the dutch people are going to be killed here. and our politicians will have blood on their hands.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » January 21, 2015 9:31am | Report
Hi Yzreel. This is my honest opinion on it, so please do not judge.

Context : 18 year old Romanian lad senior year high school.

Charlie Hebdo made fun of everything and everyone, their caricatures in the early days were quite good but they got to new heights when they first started mocking religion. And now they play the victim, what a sharade. Muslims have a hard time living everywhere unless we are talking muslim majoritary countries.

The fact that other countries already mocked muslims was not cool either. Why should we mock their belief when we know how aggresive they can get thanks to their Holy Book's teachings (Coran). Funny thing is the French did not learn anything from the previous encounters the other countries had : We all know 19/11 and the 7/7 bombers. Since, everyone started calming down on this matter, but true to Charlie Hebdo's nature, they had to make fun of it.

So here it goes. As I said, funny thing is that everyone looks at Charlie Hebdo as being the victim, and many people are going outside the streets, mourning the 4 dead and the poiliceman, but when you come to think of it, why did nobody do the same at the happenings of the Nigerian massacre? They are considered as a francophone country as well... but oh wait, they are black.

Right, racial integrity one might say, but this has racism written all over it. Thousands of men, women and children butchered sadisticaly, and almost nobody knows, while 4 people shot in France become a headline everywhere around the world. Racism, pure and simple. Why would people care about the ones that were slaves throughout the history.

Charlie Hebdo stroke a match... inside a propane mine. They had it coming, but it feels mostly like a big trick here. Why you might ask? Who on God's earth goes out with the intent to slaughter people but LEAVES THEIR ID CARDS IN THE CAR THEY DROVE THERE? And when they found the first guy praying, one cop ran in, shot him, then 3 flashbangs came in just to make sure he's dead... the mediatisation, this seems like cheap propaganda.

There's more to this one, more than we can understand. Could be some political interests. I heard about some voting in France going on that got heavily influenced by the events because people were stilled and frightened.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Krwiozerca » January 21, 2015 9:35am | Report
22, Poland, Studying

I am an atheist and I am not against Islam itself, but rather against the religion in general. Althought mostly I am keeping it for myself and I am not mocking people who believe in any God.
Believing in supernatural... units is simply silly for me.

I am personally afraid about the future of Europe. Muslims are gathering into dangerous groups, especially in England, Sweden and France. They should be not be welcomed and supported by governments, giving them welfares for basically just living in a rich and socially oriented country.

I am aware that not all muslims are terrorists, but we should do something about it. Cut or reduce the welfare for immigrants.

Krwiozerca

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (34)
Steam: Krwiozerca
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Krwiozerca » January 21, 2015 9:44am | Report
@Wulfstan

You know why people are not giving a single s%#t about slaughters in, let's say, Africa? Because we do not have power there. We live in European Union, and we are connected - politically and also territorally.
What can we do? Send troops there?

P.S. We do care about those massacres, but we can't fix their problems. We can try to fix those problems in Europe.

Krwiozerca

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (34)
Steam: Krwiozerca
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Janitsu » January 21, 2015 9:47am | Report
I am a 16-year-old Finn who's studying in upper secondary school (focusing on natural sciences).

Opinion

Janitsu
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (74)
Steam: Cottontail Teemo
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » January 21, 2015 10:02am | Report
Krwiozerca wrote:

@Wulfstan

You know why people are not giving a single s%#t about slaughters in, let's say, Africa? Because we do not have power there. We live in European Union, and we are connected - politically and also territorally.
What can we do? Send troops there?

P.S. We do care about those massacres, but we can't fix their problems. We can try to fix those problems in Europe.

There are already troops there, look it up. UE helped Africa a long time ago when they donaded about 5mld ecu (which was old european currency just years after EU was founded). Why shouldn't we care?

Sending troops to do what? All we had in France was 50+ GIGN looking around more than 3 days for 3 dudes whose ID they already had. GIVE ME A BREAK. Clear propaganda.

My point is that it was overhyped but nothing real huge happened, compared to Nigeria - 5 dead people, compared to 3000.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » January 21, 2015 10:20am | Report
Wulfstan wrote:

Hi Yzreel. This is my honest opinion on it, so please do not judge.

Context : 18 year old Romanian lad senior year high school.

Charlie Hebdo made fun of everything and everyone, their caricatures in the early days were quite good but they got to new heights when they first started mocking religion. And now they play the victim, what a sharade. Muslims have a hard time living everywhere unless we are talking muslim majoritary countries.

The fact that other countries already mocked muslims was not cool either. Why should we mock their belief when we know how aggresive they can get thanks to their Holy Book's teachings (Coran). Funny thing is the French did not learn anything from the previous encounters the other countries had : We all know 19/11 and the 7/7 bombers. Since, everyone started calming down on this matter, but true to Charlie Hebdo's nature, they had to make fun of it.

So here it goes. As I said, funny thing is that everyone looks at Charlie Hebdo as being the victim, and many people are going outside the streets, mourning the 4 dead and the poiliceman, but when you come to think of it, why did nobody do the same at the happenings of the Nigerian massacre? They are considered as a francophone country as well... but oh wait, they are black.

Right, racial integrity one might say, but this has racism written all over it. Thousands of men, women and children butchered sadisticaly, and almost nobody knows, while 4 people shot in France become a headline everywhere around the world. Racism, pure and simple. Why would people care about the ones that were slaves throughout the history.

Charlie Hebdo stroke a match... inside a propane mine. They had it coming, but it feels mostly like a big trick here. Why you might ask? Who on God's earth goes out with the intent to slaughter people but LEAVES THEIR ID CARDS IN THE CAR THEY DROVE THERE? And when they found the first guy praying, one cop ran in, shot him, then 3 flashbangs came in just to make sure he's dead... the mediatisation, this seems like cheap propaganda.

There's more to this one, more than we can understand. Could be some political interests. I heard about some voting in France going on that got heavily influenced by the events because people were stilled and frightened.

so are you saying we should not make fun of something just because of radical muslims threatening with violence? the moment we do that they have won....

why arent the french mourning the nigerian massacre?
2015.01.20 (Jaghuri, Afghanistan) - Women and children are among eight civilians ripped to shreds by a Sunni roadside bomb.
2015.01.19 (Karachi, Pakistan) - A guard loses his life when Islamists attack a polio team.
2015.01.18 (Potis***, Nigeria) - A female suicide bomber detonates at a bus station, claiming four kills.
2015.01.17 (Rawalpindi, Pakistan) - A Shiite lawyer and his two nephews are sprayed with automatic weapons fire by dedicated Sunnis.
2015.01.17 (Sabaa al-Bour, Iraq) - Five Shiites at a market are reduced to pulp by Sunni bombers.
2015.01.17 (Kulgam, India) - Muslim radicals shoot a local cop to death.

because the 'religion of peace' leaves too many bodys to count.
come on, its not like the average european outside of france is mourning more then with other attacks, it just gets more attention and people are shocked more because it is so close.
and no one knows? pretty much everyone around me knows about it.

Ofcourse the conspiracy theory's start again. :P
why would a muslim who used to recruit people for jihad help a right wing party?
about the passports, they walked into the wrong building at first, and i doubt shooting people would have been good for their nerves....
[sarcasm]and its so unrealistic that muslims kill people[/sarcasm]

i respect your opinion even though i disagree with it a lot, but saying they have it coming kinda disgusts me.... unless you mean it it the way of, they could have kind of expected it.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » January 21, 2015 10:48am | Report
Quoted:
unless you mean it it the way of, they could have kind of expected it.

That's what I meant. And no, that's not what I mean. Because they don't just do empty threats, they actually do it. And what is worse is that nobody attempts to strike back.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
View My Blog
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >>
Forum

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved