Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Dota 2 Blog - February 27th

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » News » Dota 2 Blog - February 27th 7 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Atlas » February 27, 2013 6:15pm | Report

Who calls the Dragon Knight?

Dota 2 Blog Post

This week's update includes the first piece of a large set of features aimed at introducing new players to Dota 2. Dota's a deep game, and there's a lot of things to learn, but we felt it was important that the learning was entertaining in itself, so we've tried to avoid building a dry tutorial. Did we succeed? That's where you come in.

If you're a new player, you'll be automatically guided towards the first tutorial adventure, where you play Davion, The Dragon Knight. If you've already been playing Dota, you'll find it under the Quests tab of the Play screen. Once you've completed it, please drop by the New Player Experience forum and tell us what you think.

We're sure that you'll think of a million things that we're not teaching new players yet, and you'll be right. This is just the first step, and we felt it was important to ship it so that you could help us figure out the right next step. Bringing new players into Dota is something we'll be doing in collaboration with you, combining single player tutorial adventures with features like the recently released Hero Guides.

This week update also allow players to preview the content of all chests before unlocking them. You can also preview the contents in full 3D!

We've also added the ability to specify a custom status on your Rich Presence area. You can find this in your Career Profile panel.

See you next week!

Atlas
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (117)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » February 27, 2013 6:28pm | Report
Go figure, Valve found DK to be a new-player friendly hero. I'll just keep my mouth shut... >B(

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
Steam: RUSH_and_ABUSE
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Atlas » February 27, 2013 6:53pm | Report
I never said he wasn't new player friends, I just don't suggest carries at all to new players. IMO, Skeleton King is much easier (one active skill) and Sven has a lot of utility even if he isn't carrying.

Atlas
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (117)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » February 27, 2013 7:15pm | Report
Atlas wrote:

I never said he wasn't new player friends, I just don't suggest carries at all to new players. IMO, Skeleton King is much easier (one active skill) and Sven has a lot of utility even if he isn't carrying.

Eat me.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
Steam: RUSH_and_ABUSE
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by SuperNova » February 28, 2013 6:40am | Report
EAT ME PLEASE.

SuperNova

Notable (16)
Steam: BaconBorn
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by wilddeonpwn » March 2, 2013 3:02am | Report
wow these new quests are pretty lame >:(

wilddeonpwn

Established (102)
Steam: wilddeonpwn
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » March 2, 2013 4:06am | Report
Atlas wrote:

They chose Dragon Knight because he's a "complete" Hero: an AoE nuke, a stun, a passive ability and an ultimate that grants some benefits. Heroes like Skeleton King that don't have any nuke or active ultimate can be less preferable to learn the game mechanics, and too colpex Heroes such as Phantom Lancer are misleading for beginners.

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved