Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Why the system sucks

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Why the system sucks 67 posts - page 2 of 7
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by UltraSuperHyper » June 16, 2015 12:06pm | Report
^my thoughts exactly.

Its a team game. Should be treated like one.

UltraSuperHyper

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: UltraSuperHyper
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » June 16, 2015 12:16pm | Report
KoDyAbAbA wrote:

Solo MMR is not broken, it's stupid.

Why? because I believe that a person's true prowess is not shown when he pwns 2 lvl noobs with slark, it is when he force-staffs his m8 sven outside the incoming warlock drop and stuns the ult'ing crystal maiden who has a glimmer cape with lion .

Co-ordination
Co-operation
Team Spirit

These are the pillars of DoTa 2, not individual skill.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts, the problem is trying to make an accurate stats based system that can measure these "difficult to measure" kinds of skills. Dota is a complex game - someone with bad stats can have played well for their team.

Winning is the simplest way of trying to measure all these factors, it's kind of a cop-out but that's the way it is.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dimonychan » June 16, 2015 12:20pm | Report
I think that playing RMM is a waste of time really. No matter what have you been told, it does not get better at 4/5/6/7k MMR, yes individual skill differs but there are still too many ***s/******s/acc buyers/etc to ruin your day. You will not get placed with people of your skill level because of dispersion in the system.

So you should either create a smurf if your MMR is lower than 4k, play Ranked without really caring(like you would play normal pubs) and get higher though very slowly, or just do not play it at all.

Killing your nerve cells in Ranked = ******ed.

Dimonychan

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » June 16, 2015 12:30pm | Report
wow ok then hahaha thats a big response sorry if you took offense. none was meant.

Alot of incorrect statementsare made but hey more to ya man yo go glen coco :)

also you use lead-fallacy arguments to come to weak conclusions so im less inclined to fully accept some points made.

have fun and good luck im off to play some dotes.

EDIT: im actually going to explain something for a lot of people here.

it takes between 25-50 games before you are placed within your actual level.

it took 32 games on my smurf before i was placed in high skill and 58 before very high.

thats all... in fact i felt i was playing against people at around 20 games that were pretty skillful.

smurfs that are bad are the ones that stay within the lower levels.

the system is broken but it cant be exploited.

seriously. it cant. its broken but bullerproof.

you make a smurf and win until you lose. i had a mate that made a smurf after he got a 1500 mmr ... his smurf? 1480 mmr...

its a broken system ... but you cant cheat it. EVER. i feel for you if you think its perfect and that smurfs are cheats but honestly they arent. if your good you are raised if your not you wont.

the only thing smurfs do is reduce the time period.

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by L0bstz0r » June 16, 2015 12:33pm | Report
Altho a win based system doesnt perfectly reflect ones individual skill, it makes the most sense for a TEAM-GAME(!). Sure you will get a few ******s in your team every now and then (mby even so in a few successive games), but that doesnt make the ENTIRE system broken....if you really are better than most people in your current bracket, its more PROBABLE for you to win games, meaning that you EVENTUALLY will rise in MMR. Just dont expect to win every damn game.

Your winrate is 51% in ranked games? Great! play a 100 games and you will have improved by 25 MMR...easy as that.

L0bstz0r

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: L0bstz0r
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ChiChi » June 16, 2015 12:50pm | Report
Sando wrote:

Pretty much sums up my thoughts, the problem is trying to make an accurate stats based system that can measure these "difficult to measure" kinds of skills. Dota is a complex game - someone with bad stats can have played well for their team.

Winning is the simplest way of trying to measure all these factors, it's kind of a cop-out but that's the way it is.

Exactly. Saying the system is broken implies there is a way to improve it - and since it is a game where KDA doesn't mean skill and teamplay does, the system works as good as it can work, taking all this into perspective as best as it can. Also, as Purge once put it, your mmr will be more accurate if you play more, and respectively, less accurate if you play less.

Credits to Janitsu!

Ammateurs coaching channel iei! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOBsWN_45WjrRXLAWUqeyaA

ChiChi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
Steam: Chi-Chi
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by F.E.A.R.0 » June 16, 2015 12:54pm | Report
I don't whether to call the system broken or not, but this was made intentionally by Valve so that players around the world must not go up to 5-7k MMR. Because there will be teams recruiting those players. It intentionally matches you up with nabs, so that you cannot win. I don't even doubt that they will change this. If they do, they would just make some slight changes.
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
Please PM me if you spot anything missing or outdated in the data base

F.E.A.R.0
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (38)
Steam: F.E.A.R.
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by L0bstz0r » June 16, 2015 1:19pm | Report
F.E.A.R.0 wrote:

I don't whether to call the system broken or not, but this was made intentionally by Valve so that players around the world must not go up to 5-7k MMR. Because there will be teams recruiting those players. It intentionally matches you up with nabs, so that you cannot win. I don't even doubt that they will change this. If they do, they would just make some slight changes.

thats a nice conspiracy-theory at best. Whenever you have a limited-value-scale (set by 0 and the value of the highest player), there always will be an average value. No matter how you rank/rate "player-skill", there will ALWAYS be a bell-curve.

Edit: sorry for going off topic, but this post just bugged me.

L0bstz0r

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: L0bstz0r
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ChiChi » June 16, 2015 1:27pm | Report
L0bstz0r wrote:

thats a nice conspiracy-theory at best. Whenever you have a limited-value-scale (set by 0 and the value of the highest player), there always will be an average value. No matter how you rank/rate "player-skill", there will ALWAYS be a bell-curve.

Edit: sorry for going off topic, but his post just bugged me.

Lobz made me actually search what is a bell curve xD

"The Bell Curve represents what statisticians call a �normal distribution.� A normal distribution is a sample with an arithmetic average and an equal distribution above and below average like the curve below. This model assumes we have an equivalent number of people above and below average, and that there will be a very small number of people two standard deviations above and below the average (mean)."

In http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshbersin/2014/02/19/the-myth-of-the-bell-curve-look-for-the-hyper-performers/

Is Dota a bell curve or a Power Law? :O

Oops, probably off topic too. But this is a fascinating discussion.

Credits to Janitsu!

Ammateurs coaching channel iei! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOBsWN_45WjrRXLAWUqeyaA

ChiChi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
Steam: Chi-Chi
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by masaaki14 » June 16, 2015 1:47pm | Report
Come on, i am at 1.9k mmr and am crawling painfully through the mmr gap to get to where i want, and most games where i lose is because my team goes off feeding and ignoring objectives, not playing like a team, etc. 1.9k, do you have any idea how corrupted the players are there?

yet you don't see me complaining and saying i'll create a smurf. for gods sake guys just play and stop complaining. every game has its fair share of toxic players. if you want to create a smurf, i don't care but there is no point in complaining about players that don't know what they are doing or are trolling. just play the ****ing game or stop if you don't want to

masaaki14

Notable (11)
Steam: masaaki14

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved