Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Why is Invoker Dire?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Why is Invoker Dire? 13 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ThreadOfFate » August 31, 2014 1:50pm | Report
The title says it. Why does Invoker affiliate himself with the Dire? He does not seem evil, only very arrogant. Sorry for the short subject, but the canon gives little reason.

ThreadOfFate

Notable (14)
Steam: TTT.Pixelmancer
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » August 31, 2014 2:31pm | Report
It is all from dota allstars in warcraft 3. If you look at the library in game then all of the bottom heroes are dire and top are radiant.

I think its because invoker is/was a blood elf and those belong to the scourge.
Meepo and magnus are also on the dire/scourge, and they dont look evil as well.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Seagull » August 31, 2014 2:36pm | Report
Vengeful Spirit is almost as logically on Radiant side.

Seagull

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (9)
Steam: HAEÆ
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Cuttleboss » August 31, 2014 3:18pm | Report
Honestly, this whole Alignment thing could be easily solved by creating a "Neutral" side, like there was in Dota a while ago (but that was removed for some odd reason). I am not fond of the Black and White morality sides the game creates by giving us these two sides in lore. I don't understand how more morally ambiguous characters like Puck and Sven end up on the same side as very heroic characters like Ursa, Treant Protector, and Crystal Maiden. Conversely, less villainous characters on the Dire like Death Prophet, Razor, and Dazzle are clumped together with extremely evil characters like Pugna, Venomancer, Shadow Demon, and of course, the Devil himself, Doom Bringer.

Here are some oddly aligned characters:

Troll Warlord is on the Radiant despite being a psychotic murderer who threatens to kill his allies.
Magnus is on the Dire despite being a victim seeking justice against nasty poachers.
Lycanthrope is on the Dire even though he is non villainous at all, also a victim seeking justice.
Bounty Hunter works for money, yet he is on the Radiant side when he could just as logically work for the Dire.
Rubick is an odd case, because he doesn't seem evil, but rather, a bit crazy, since he did enjoy murdering all those wizards who tried to kill him.
Centaur Warrunner is on the Radiant side despite being a barbaric dude who is pretty addicted to violence. (Note: in his original Dota lore, he was flat out heroic)
Sand King is the representation of a desert, he is neither good nor evil.
Similarly, Enigma, Spectre, and Faceless Void also have no reason to be on the Dire, aside from looking evil, because they are not evil either.
Lone Druid is basically trying to end the world, totally Radiant tho.
Meepo is similarly on the Dire, and he's just flat out comic relief and neutral in his alliance, seeking only the monies.
Timbersaw is crazy, hates trees, yet works for tree people. Someone needs to explain this to me...

Cuttleboss
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yzreel » August 31, 2014 8:51pm | Report
Well I think I need to straihten this up. The affiliations does not mean where the heroes are standing in term of morality, no. It simply means where they live. Remember the dota 2 comic 'Are we there yet'? It explains that the dire and radiant are both civilizations created by the fall of direstone and radiant ore, gaining source of energy from each said stone.

This is why heroes are separated in two, in which they naturally lives in the radiant or in the dire civilization, which has absolutely nothing to do with morality (even if the radiant ore is depicted to give light energy, while direstone gives dark energy). Of course, some heroes choose their own civilization to affiliate with (say, Spectre or Enigma) for various reasons, but the most popular one is that because they are from outer space, thus having no actual bornplace.

Think about it this way: the affiliations only shows which side of civilization they fight in the war, which WAS created in dota 1 because back then we can choose not to input the all pick mode, and players were only given choice to play with dire(scourge) hero if they are jn that faction and vice versa. I think it became tradition that is odd if it's suddenly changed.

About Invoker, back in wc3 time, his lore tells us that he WAS in Sentinel(Radiant), but became Scourge(Dire) to seek revenge. Like what Tim said, this is then passed on to Dota 2.
My hero ideas
Yzreel Hero Arsenal

Yzreel

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (30)
Steam: Yzreel
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » August 31, 2014 11:49pm | Report
Well... it's pretty easy.

First, Dire side is cooler. No arguments, Radiant are a bunch of wimps.

Also, he is a titanic wanker. He SEEMS nice at first, but then you realise, no, he's a jerk.

Yzreel gave the not-so-fun explanation :(
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by The amazing A.K.A stupid » September 1, 2014 2:18am | Report
HOw about Slardar he doesnt seem evil either
"When we get attacked we fight back for we have faith in our side"

I rarely insult people(like real insult) for I am defenseless against them.

But when I do, I make my point clearly

The amazing A.K.A stupid

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » September 1, 2014 3:14am | Report

HOw about Slardar he doesnt seem evil either

Because in WC3 he was a naga which are evil.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » September 1, 2014 4:00am | Report
Yzreel wrote:

Remember the dota 2 comic 'Are we there yet'?

Lol haha

Its "Are we heroes yet"
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yzreel » September 1, 2014 4:56am | Report
Lol yeah, I don't know why I wrote it that (I guess it's because I was riding a bus to school and it seems that it took so long lol)
My hero ideas
Yzreel Hero Arsenal

Yzreel

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (30)
Steam: Yzreel
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved