Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

How has the PA arcana affected your games?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » How has the PA arcana affected your games? 33 posts - page 1 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ashwinthegrim » November 25, 2014 8:47am | Report
Since the release of the Phantom Assassin arcana, there has undoubtedly been a significant increase in PA picks. I'm curious as to how people feel about games in which they have a "PA" teammate.

Some of my games have been OK, when the PA knows what she's doing. For instance, in one of my games, my team's PA had relatively free farm in the safe lane, supported by a Skywrath. She managed to farm a decently timed Battle Fury at about 18-20 minutes, followed by a Skull Basher and Black King Bar. Needless to say, we won the game.

Some of the games have been a little lacking. The Phantom Assassin has no idea what last hits are, but gets a CS every now and then. She still opts for a Battle Fury, finishes it in about 30 mins. If her team is competent enough in the mid game to make space for her, she eventually becomes too fat to deal with. People in my bracket still haven't realized the importance of building an MKB against her.

Some games have been absolutely terrible. The PA starts off with a set of Tangoes and a Ring of Basilius. 15 minute Power Treads followed by a first item Medallion of Courage by 25 minutes. By now, the enemy has their core items, and our PA does too little damage and is too squishy. I simply don't understand the reasoning behind a medallion on a PA?! The hero jumps into the fight and takes damage. Having the medallion effect is asking for trouble.

When the PA is on the enemy team, it is similar. They are either pretty damn good, or downright stupid. When I'm facing the good ones, I try building my MKB as soon as possible, sometimes even as a first item after the mandatory Treads and Aquila (on heroes like Drow, Weaver, Gyro, etc). Against the stupid ones, it doesn't matter.

However, the general trend has been that the number of bad PAs significantly outweigh the good ones. At least some of them are willing to listen. For example, last night, I suggested to the PA in my team (that built the 15 min treads followed by 25 min medallion) that in her next game, she should try going Phase Boots --> Drum of Endurance --> Skull Basher --> Black King Bar, and instead of receiving the obligatory "*** u nub", she responded with "Cool, I'll try that next time. Sorry I'm new to this hero."

On the flip side, I got a Mythical set for Lycan last night in one of my PA games, which makes me happy :D

Now, share your stories.

P.S: If any of you guys are hunting for drops with the PA arcana, I'd love to join :D Just throwing that out there.

ashwinthegrim

Notable (7)
Steam: Grim
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kyphoid returns » November 25, 2014 9:08am | Report
The sets are not tradable by the way.
So ***ed. Valve playing Hat the Hatter with this.
The reality has been made illusion
Go On, Feed Me.

Kyphoid returns

Remarkable (42)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by F.E.A.R.0 » November 25, 2014 9:54am | Report
The effect is good because I get items that worth 9 euros or more.
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
Please PM me if you spot anything missing or outdated in the data base

F.E.A.R.0
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (38)
Steam: F.E.A.R.
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » November 25, 2014 10:04am | Report
Not too impressed so far, don't mind the idea, but yesterday I had a team who gave up a 50/50 game because the PA killed her contract so they couldn't get arcana items...pretty frustrating. The funny thing was, it got the to the end and nobody on their team had the arcana...so nobody got anything! Waste of time...off to ranked :)
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kyphoid returns » November 25, 2014 10:12am | Report
Sando wrote:

Not too impressed so far, don't mind the idea, but yesterday I had a team who gave up a 50/50 game because the PA killed her contract so they couldn't get arcana items...pretty frustrating. The funny thing was, it got the to the end and nobody on their team had the arcana...so nobody got anything! Waste of time...off to ranked :)

And then you will get the scares when it happens in ranked.
Yup! Happened to me. GG NO RE
Go On, Feed Me.

Kyphoid returns

Remarkable (42)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ashwinthegrim » November 25, 2014 10:13am | Report

The sets are not tradable by the way.
So ***ed. Valve playing Hat the Hatter with this.

Personally, the sets not being tradable is totally OK with me, because I'm not much of a trader anyway.. I just use whatever I get on my heroes, so it's pretty awesome for me..

ashwinthegrim

Notable (7)
Steam: Grim
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » November 25, 2014 11:17am | Report
The only change I noticed is that people value PA kills on the target Hero more than anything else: this comes in handy when you're facing her and she has to kill your solo offlaner, since the supports won't hit them after landing their combo because they fear they might steal the kill. I find it rather funny. :D

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by CapnDaft » November 25, 2014 2:50pm | Report
Pudge GET NYX GET NYX BOYS GET NYX, I COME LETS DOO THIIS (level 3 no boots]]
Phantom Assassin DAVAI DAVAI DAVAI
Spoiler: Click to view

CapnDaft

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (8)
Steam: Captain Daft
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » November 25, 2014 10:42pm | Report

Reality is illusion
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Romark14 » November 26, 2014 2:04am | Report
Im liking it. Just add's a little something to Pubs.
Not sure how i'd feel about it in a ranked game though. I've seen people go 4 mid in Pubs to get the bounty, i'd be pissed if that happened in a ranked.

Saying that, one game i won a Shadow Shaman Mystic Instruments of Tang-Ki set, so i was pretty happy with that!
Dimonychan wrote:

Split-puhing <- when you do it.
Rat doto <- when enemy does it.

Romark14

Notable (7)
Steam: Romark14

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved