Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

WHY MESUSA WITH MAELSTORM ???

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » WHY MESUSA WITH MAELSTORM ??? 15 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by YellulzQuiet » June 16, 2015 2:33am | Report
6.84 and pubbers still build maelstorm, in my point of view it is outclassed so hard by yasha as well as mjornl is outclassed by manta style
its simple : chain lighting is not needed as medusa has Split Shot and those procs do not work on dusa ult stone gaze, however yasha has the same benefits and illusions totally works with the split shot ability
Can someone explain me why do keep pubbers and pros purchasing maelstorm on dusa ?

YellulzQuiet

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by MrLocket » June 16, 2015 3:49am | Report
The reason why Medusa get Maelstrom first is because it's effective and good for farming while you have 0 point on Split Shot. Around 14:00 where you should have a Maelstrom, is about 8-9 level. At this point your skills' level should be 0-4-3-1, hence at this point Maelstrom can bring you more farm than Yasha.

Although it doesn't provide any stat, but the lightning procs are really good in both farming and teamfighting, not to mention the lightning shield which can dish out a lot of damage before dying.

As for Yasha, sure it's good on her but it is built for her mid-game, so it's better to build Maelstrom during early game to increase your farm.
My face -> ( / *3*)/

MrLocket

Notable (16)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » June 16, 2015 6:31am | Report
Uh, best Medusa build is 4-4-1-1 by level 10, so Maelstrom isn't needed.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » June 16, 2015 7:19am | Report
You dont need 4 points into split shot unless your allies make DEM MAD STACKS for you. Personally im a fan of maxing mana shield, since even early it makes you very tanky. And allows you to push with your team a bit more when you have an advantage.

I havent seen much maelstrom medusa nor have i tried it, but even if you go it you will probably still want yasha.
Yasha definately seems more cost efficient, and ofc ita builds into one of your core items which is manta.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by porygon361 » June 16, 2015 7:44am | Report
Guys, guys, guys. Why not both? Kappa

Hero Idea Archive

Newest Idea: Ibrik, the Tormentor

And the newest in my series of hero guides...

My Guide to the Grandest Magus of All

porygon361
<Editor>

Remarkable (46)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Swixcap » June 16, 2015 7:53am | Report
Maelstrom gives damage and attack speed, which works magnificently with Split Shot and increases early farm rate. Sounds great, and it is pretty good! Medusa usually farms large items--Manta, Linken's, Skadi--so the extra item slot is not a problem. The main reason you would usually goes for Manta Style is because she otherwise benefit well from stats because of Mana Shield, and so does the illusions. However, you won't have great stats in the mid game anyway, so rushing Manta is rarely optimal. Maelstrom on the other hand, gives everything you want in the early to mid game: Farm farm farming ability -- damage and attack speed.

There is one problem though: When do you get it? If you rush Linken's Sphere first, which is often useful, your Maelstrom timing will probably be too late to be worth it. It's a farming, early fighting and snowballing item--you should get it as early as possible! I'd say that if you don't need Linken's Sphere early, get Maelstrom, then farm a Linken's Sphere and Manta Style.

And by the way, the best build at 10 is typically 1/2-4-1-1 with 3 or 2 in stats.
This is my signature. This is my dotabuff.

Swixcap

Notable (7)
Steam: Cube
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by MrLocket » June 16, 2015 8:48am | Report
In common pub it's better to get Mana Shield rather than Split Shot, because no one is going to stack nc for you or support your *** on lane, and pubber like ganks, so having Split Shot will push the lane and let yourself be ganked more often. Turn off Split Shot while laning? Well no one is going to cover your ***, with low tankiness you will definitely melt within 3 seconds, that's why maxing Mana Shield is crucial, as it synergy with Mystic Snake ( more mana=more EHP ).

It's either Maelstrom+ Mana Shield or Yasha+ Split Shot. If you have a lane support who can protect you, then 2nd build are the better choice since you can clear jungle faster than 1st build. Otherwise 1st build is better for you if you solo-q in pub.
My face -> ( / *3*)/

MrLocket

Notable (16)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KEEP CALM AND FEED » June 16, 2015 8:58am | Report
Agreeing with terathiel:
4-4-1-1 build best build.
You don't have HP that you mana can protect in early game, so why put points in it?
Also, get a dom and stack them ancients yourself.

My opiion is that mana shield is one focused skill that everyone wants to counter. They think medusa will go stat items and once u have no mana u have a 16-18 armor medusa that dies ez.
So I don't put that much stock on mana shield and build an assault cuirass late game. Gives her imba 30 armor like a morph and even if your mana ends, you have good tankage. More so the fact that negative armor synergizes with your ult and skadi as well.

KEEP CALM AND FEED

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (15)
Steam: KEEP CALM AND FEED
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dimonychan » June 16, 2015 9:05am | Report
Personally I like Mask of Madness on Dusa. I've seen Xyrus buying it and thought "Why not?". She farms really fast with just MoM and Yasha.

Dimonychan

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Pocciox » June 16, 2015 9:29am | Report
It really depends on the game. I never built maelstrom because it feels like a early-mid game item to me so it's not the right choice for her. But it could be worth the price if you're in those games where you'd buy phase boots over threads to have more damage early.

BTW my Medusa build is maxing stats and not skills. I get 1 point in the shield, 1 in the ultimate and 4 in split shot, and proceed to farm the jungle without taking 1 point in the snake.
And yes, mask of madness is crazy good to farm, could arguably be even better than Midas, even after the Ms nerf.
Lategame you sell it and replace it with a satanic, and you get the As from a consumed moon shard :)

Pocciox

Notable (2)
Steam: Pocciox

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved