Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Shivas guard discrepency?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Shivas guard discrepency? 8 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Vhailor » July 4, 2013 3:43am | Report
The description for shivas guard passive says it reduces attack speed by 40% in the item list. But the internal description and aura icon say just "40" I would interpret that as -40 attack speed, not 40%. Can anyone clarify this?

Vhailor

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Nubtrain » July 4, 2013 4:17am | Report
It's reducing attack speed by 40 points and 40% movement speed.

So if I had an attack speed of 200 points, it'll be 160

if I had a movespeed of 350, my reduced movespeed would be 350 x .4 = 210 movespeed

Nubtrain
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (58)
Steam: Nubtrain
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Vhailor » July 4, 2013 4:47am | Report
Yea, but the move speed is only reduced by arctic blast, which is activated. The attack slow is passive; that's where it gives 2 conflicting descriptions. The active ability is consistent in saying 40% - the passive is conflicting.

Vhailor

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Nubtrain » July 4, 2013 5:12am | Report
How is it conflicting? They both work at the same time if you use the active, yes there is more than one effect.

Two different set of debuffs

So if you're within Shiva's aura range, you'll receive -40 attack speed points

if the active spell from shiva hits you, you'll ALSO receive the 40 PERCENT reduction in movespeed for 4 seconds.

So for that 4 seconds you'll have a minus -40 points of attack speed and -40 PERCENT slow.

Nubtrain
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » July 4, 2013 1:58pm | Report
Vhailor wrote:

The description for shivas guard's passive says it reduces attack speed by 40% in the item list. But the internal description and aura icon say just "40" I would interpret that as -40 attack speed, not 40%. Can anyone clarify this?

According to the Wiki, it's a 40% Attack Speed reduction. There's also a similar thing with Veil of Discord being different on the wiki too. I'm pretty sure the Wiki values are right (will need to check in game later).

Nubtrain wrote:

It's reducing attack speed by 40 points and 40% movement speed.

So if I had an attack speed of 200 points, it'll be 160

if I had a movespeed of 350, my reduced movespeed would be 350 x (0.6) = 210 movespeed

So that would reduce...

Attack Speed from 200 -> 120
Movement Speed from 350 -> 210

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by jawbreaker261 » July 4, 2013 9:24pm | Report
I'm pretty sure percents are "optional" in terms of attack speed (so +30 AS = +30% AS regardless of the start and end values. You start (at lvl 1) with a base AS of 100, and all AS changes (stats, items, abilities, etc.) are applied to this base (independent of all other AS modifiers) and then added together. It works the same way for penalties (so -40 AS = -40% AS in all cases).

Movespeed works differently - flat bonuses (from boots, Euls, etc) are added to the base MS and then any percent-based modifications (positive or negative) are added together and then applied to the new (after boots) base MS.

Basically, it's impossible to modify your base AS from 100 because all modifications to it are based on a percentage, whether it's indicated or not, so the percent sign becomes obsolete.

jawbreaker261

Notable (4)
Steam: jawbreaker261
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » July 5, 2013 1:06am | Report

I'm pretty sure percents are "optional" in terms of attack speed (so +30 AS = +30% AS regardless of the start and end values. You start (at lvl 1) with a base AS of 100, and all AS changes (stats, items, abilities, etc.) are applied to this base (independent of all other AS modifiers) and then added together. It works the same way for penalties (so -40 AS = -40% AS in all cases).

Movespeed works differently - flat bonuses (from boots, Euls, etc) are added to the base MS and then any percent-based modifications (positive or negative) are added together and then applied to the new (after boots) base MS.

Basically, it's impossible to modify your base AS from 100 because all modifications to it are based on a percentage, whether it's indicated or not, so the percent sign becomes obsolete.

Yep, just checked, IAS is linear, so 40% == 40.

Advanced Mechanics are confusing 8(

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Nubtrain » July 5, 2013 6:03am | Report
Xyrus wrote:

Yep, just checked, IAS is linear, so 40% == 40.

Advanced Mechanics are confusing 8(

Never doubt me >:)

Unless I'm trolling then doubt me

Some abilities increase by an actual percentage of your total attack speed like Leap

but for items like Shiva's Guard and Power Treads, it's increased depends on your attack speed points and BAT.

So let's say I'm a level 1 Dragon Knight that starts with 19 agility (1 AGILITY = 1 point of attack speed) then I would start with 119 points of attack speed. So if I bought Gloves of Haste that has 15 points of attack speed it's going to be 34 extra points of attack speed, 100 being base.

100 points of attack speed = 100% attack speed = BAT

DK's BAT is 1.7 so 100 points of attack speed = 1.7 seconds per attack = 100% attack speed

1.7 BAT / (1 + .34) APS = 1.7 / 1.34 = 1.26865 attacks per second (basically 1.26 attacks per second)

26% increase in attack speed and if DK is getting affected by Shiva's Guard -40 points of attack speed at level 1 as an example it'd be

134 attack speed points - 40 attack speed points = 94 attack speed points = 134 / 94 = 1.42 attacks per second

1.7 BAT / 1.42 APS = 1.1971 APS = 19 percent increase in attack speed

so about -7% decrease from the original 26%

I think my math is correct :P

Nubtrain
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (58)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved