Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Dumb Question S02EP08: Overgrowth vs Ravage

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Dumb Question S02EP08: Overgrowth vs Ravage 11 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » September 13, 2014 4:35pm | Report
Which is better? Here is a link for you smart peoples to research:
Overgrowth
Ravage

Overgrowth
-Affects magic immune, but being magic immune dispells this
-Longer duration
-Shorter Cooldown

Ravage
-Is blocked by magic immunity
-Larger radius
-Deals damage

I'm on Overgrowth's side. But even if it is better than Ravage, why did I never saw a clutch Overgrowth at fights?

Still, who am I to say that Overgrowth is better?

Previous Episode: Can Vendetta Crits?
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » September 14, 2014 7:43am | Report
Neither is better. Both are good at the same time.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » September 14, 2014 7:44am | Report
Overgrowth is a root, Ravage is a stun.

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » September 14, 2014 8:18am | Report
@ Wulfstan
I see. But then, why is Treant Protector less popular than Tidehunter?

@TheBig*****fa
I know that, duh! But i dont see much difference.
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » September 14, 2014 8:21am | Report
Overgrowth has a longer duration, goes through Magic Immunity and has less than half the Cooldown time, but it can be Purged so isn't as big of a theat, whereas once you're Ravaged, you just got Tentacle'd! >8{D

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » September 14, 2014 8:23am | Report
Unscathed wrote:

@ Wulfstan

@TheBig*****fa

treant is a support, while tidehunter isnt really a good support, he needs to many levels and really needs a refresher at a certain point.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » September 14, 2014 8:24am | Report
Timminatorr wrote:

treant is a support, while tidehunter isnt really a good support, he needs to many levels and really needs a refresher at a certain point.

So people picked Tidehunter because he can sap EXP better?
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sanvitch » September 14, 2014 8:39am | Report
Unscathed wrote:

So people picked Tidehunter because he can sap EXP better?

No, he gets picked due to fact he's really good as an offlaner, because he's got a catch-up mechanism. Thanks to the changes to Anchor Smash, he can use it with Kraken Shell to farm a 4 stack of Ancients. Which coupled with his inate tank, lets him thrive in an offlane position. And get a quick Blink Dagger which increases the power of Ravage in team-fights.

Whereas Treant Protector as a support gets less gold, so a slow Blink Dagger (Which means people get time to farm BKB. And since becoming magic immune after Overgrowth is used breaks the hold, it's a relevent thing), and he relies a lot on early rotations for kills in order to get to his items quickly.

Plus the changes to Leech Seed I think made him drop out, coupled with the meta making Living Armor slightly less powerful due to heavier pushing.

Overgrowth is still a really good spell, but it's a smaller portion of [Treant Protector]]s impact in a game that Ravage tends to be for Tidehunter. After all, all of Treant abilities are really good.

Since you just can't have enough Chaos Breaker.

Sanvitch

Notable (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » September 14, 2014 8:44am | Report
Sanvitch wrote:

No, he gets picked due to fact he's really good as an offlaner, because he's got a catch-up mechanism. Thanks to the changes to Anchor Smash, he can use it with Kraken Shell to farm a 4 stack of Ancients. Which coupled with his inate tank, lets him thrive in an offlane position. And get a quick Blink Dagger which increases the power of Ravage in team-fights.

Whereas Treant Protector as a support gets less gold, so a slow Blink Dagger (Which means people get time to farm BKB. And since becoming magic immune after Overgrowth is used breaks the hold, it's a relevent thing), and he relies a lot on early rotations for kills in order to get to his items quickly.

Plus the changes to Leech Seed I think made him drop out, coupled with the meta making Living Armor slightly less powerful due to heavier pushing.

Overgrowth is still a really good spell, but it's a smaller portion of [Treant Protector]]s impact in a game that Ravage tends to be for Tidehunter. After all, all of Treant abilities are really good.

that.
also tide just scales better with items, UNLESS YOU GO RADIANCE ASSAULT CUIRASS DEADALUS TREE AND SMACK PEOPLE TO BITS WITH YOUR FIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111!!!!!!

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » September 14, 2014 9:08am | Report
Unscathed wrote:

@ Wulfstan

@TheBig*****fa

Since when did my name change?

Roots mean they can still cast and attack while being affected.

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved