Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Bot AI...Hosed Again?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Bot AI...Hosed Again? 12 posts - page 1 of 2

Poll Question:

If you noticed a change in bot AI since the last major patch, would you say it was....
An improvement, bots are now better to practice against
A degradation, bots are now worse to try and practice against
Eh, they have the same problems they always had
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by blanning » February 16, 2014 2:19pm | Report
Maybe I am just noticing it more, but lately it seems like roughly half the bots in a given practice match are playing at a difficulty setting one or even two levels below what you chose when you set up the match. When some are on the enemy team and some are on your team this is not *too* bad, but it regularly happens that most of them (75% or so) end up on one or the other team....which leads to a complete stomp. The kind of feeding they do makes it so that the amount of difference that the player can make is minimal if anything - which rather ruins the point of practice matches so try strategies and get used to new heroes....

So, is it just me, or has anyone else noticed this change in the last patch or maybe two?

blanning

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » February 16, 2014 3:02pm | Report
It may not necessarily be a problem with the AI, some Heroes were rebalanced in the latest patches, and I doubt Icefrog took Bot matches into consideration.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by oldKainen » February 16, 2014 3:22pm | Report
The bots AI needs a big improvement. They don't pick 50% of the hero pool and are quite dumb in some situations (Like Luna only using Eclipse as panic button). If there is something really bad in Dota2, it is the bot matchsystem.

oldKainen

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (14)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » February 16, 2014 3:26pm | Report
yeah.bot matches are hilarious.i win making a dagon on drow ranger

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » February 16, 2014 3:35pm | Report
Am I the only one who noticed that when you're jungling the enemy bots tend to 5-man much earlier and start pushing at 10-15 minutes? That's so annoying. Also, I hate when I'm wrecking the enemy base and the friendly bots just go back and make me die; same for when they don't use Frostbite or Magic Missile when I ping on an enemy.

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by 9black » February 16, 2014 5:17pm | Report
I have noticed the last few matches when I'm wrecking my allied bots simply run away and let me die often when its 5 of us vs 3 of them. Also Noticed they 5 man earlier and my bots seem to want to come in one at a time. Idk because I can turn it around but the bots seem to overall be a little stupider.

9black

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by sulaxrox » February 17, 2014 12:18am | Report
I love when bots all bunch up when not Kunkka throws boat and torrent followed by bot jakiro ice path+macropyre..boom whole team dead and all I wanted to do was screw with a hero in test client..sigh.
They could at least make them less ****tarded
Step 1: Pick Bristleback
Step 2: type in all chat:"GL hf"
Step 3: solo offlane
Step 4: first blood triple kill solo vs trilane
Step 5: continue head butting keyboard
Step 6: don't care, Bristleback doesn't give a ****
Step 7: screenshot repeated: BB OP comments in all chat
Step 8: alternate games with Slark pick

sulaxrox

Notable (6)
Steam: sulaxrox
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by PrimarchXIII » April 10, 2014 9:01pm | Report
I have to agree with all of the above comments. It is a little ridiculous. To test it out I played an "easy" game and my team basically stomped 4v5 with little participation from me, followed by a "hard" game and it was the same result. I also had the same problem as Peppo_oPaccio where I was jungling as Doom and the AI team just marched down mid lane, killed my team twice and took Tier 1 & 2 towers with no real resistance...I don't worry too much about what the team is doing now, I use bot matches to practice with characters, hone my skills or Rampage with Zeus Ulti + Refresher. What a larf. Lates.

PrimarchXIII

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Donald0son » May 3, 2014 3:26am | Report
Bots just 5 man as soon as possible when i play bot games and like msot of you say when you are stomping as 5man next thing you know the rest of your team are nowhere to be seen then you are dead, annoying.

But at the same time i use bot games to practice new hero's, new item/skill builds before going live with them so its not a massive deal. though it does annoy me when i try to jungle and mid lane gets left with no hero in it...

Donald0son

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by samukobo » May 3, 2014 4:58am | Report
We have to face it, dota 2 is a game where making an AI is difficult. To make a near-perfect system you would have to make a separate pattern of actions of each and every hero because their roles and playstyles are radically different. Besides that, adjusting to the game in terms of lanes, roles, skill builds and item builds is needed too. Judging the balance between the magnitude of danger (defensive actions needed) and the need of an individual bot for a teamfight or engagement is needed (staying in Macropyre is really bad, but if it's the only way you can stun that Phantom Assassin for your team you HAVE to stay there to do it. So if a bot senses a Macropyre there should be an initiative for the bot to not stay there, but it should ideally also sense that it needs to do that stun and it SHOULD do that stun if it sees it as necessary)

I can make an extremely long list of things needed, and it still wouldn't be enough. So making a good system where the bots are as competent as decent players is near impossible. In fact, making decent bots is really, really hard too.

And the game was designed for PVP anyway, so there's no REAL need to perfect the bot matches.

They should at least increase the number of heroes that have AIs though.
Quoted:

ヽ༼ຈلຈ༽ノ

samukobo
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved