Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Armlet on Troll warlord?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Armlet on Troll warlord? 8 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by The amazing A.K.A stupid » September 11, 2014 4:24am | Report
Simple as that is armlet viable on Troll Warlord?

ive seen other agi heroes like Medusa with armlet and I dont seem to get why so heres my question.

Is Armlet of Mordiggian viable on Troll Warlord?
"When we get attacked we fight back for we have faith in our side"

I rarely insult people(like real insult) for I am defenseless against them.

But when I do, I make my point clearly

The amazing A.K.A stupid

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by jawbreaker261 » September 11, 2014 4:58am | Report
Armlet is suited to STR dps heroes who lack attack speed, troll is an AGI dps hero who lacks damage.

So no, it's not really viable (I usually go vlads+BKB). It's awful on Dusa too, you are right to be confused about that.

edit: please disregard my original reasoning, i posted right after waking up. Armlet's a midgame dps item that you buy on heroes who don't particularly need a specific utility, and if you ask me the vlads (pushing) and BKB (needed for teamfights given no disable and a weak slow)

jawbreaker261

Notable (4)
Steam: jawbreaker261
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KrDotoBestDoto » September 11, 2014 5:40am | Report
Wouldn't agree that Armlet is for STR heroes that dont have attackspeed. Rather the heroes that use Armlet should have good attackspeed to make good use of the Armlet.

The reason why Armlet is only for STR heroes is that they benefit the most from the effect. Since the most usefull effect of Armlet is the STR gain from it's active the hero using it should have good attackspeed to get more hits in before the HP goes low from the active. Heroes without good attackspeed (eg Wraith King) tend to go Maelstrom/Mjolnir before Armlet because the extra attackspeed is what amplifies the Armlet effect greatly.

KrDotoBestDoto

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » September 11, 2014 5:41am | Report
I've seen it picked up a couple of times on Phantom Assassin, Faceless Void and even Sniper (everyone knows that video by now).

If you can toggle it properly, sure. Also, armlet is not gotten for the attack speed, but for the sheer damage it gives to STR carries, since, the extra strength it provides goes towards the damage as well. Main exception to this would probably be Lifestealer, since Rage gives a truckload of attack speed.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » September 11, 2014 5:51am | Report
Armlet on Medusa is horrible. Dusa needs stat items that give her bonuses to all stats, basically Ultimate Orbs, because she needs both strength and intelligence to be tanky. If you want a mid-game item on Medusa you can get Drum of Endurance...but why would you build a mid-game item on Dusa anyways, she's not a good mid-game hero :)

Troll Warlord already has tons of attack speed, so I'd prefer damage items (e.g Crystalys) or chasing items (e.g Yasha) on him. It's not that armlet is bad on Troll, armlet CAN work in certain cases on agility carries (although admittedly it's a lot better on strength carries) ; it's just, I think there are better choices. If you want to try a build like Helm of the Dominator + Armlet of Mordiggian...why not after all.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » September 11, 2014 7:30am | Report
As said before, the Armlet of Mordiggian is for Heroes that need attack speed (mostly STR Heroes, who also benefit from the extra strength): Troll Warlord, like Ursa, can't make the most out of it since he already has built-in attack speed. Kunkka is another example: you don't build an Armlet on him because he just needs to one-shot with Tidebringer, in which case a Daedalus or Monkey King Bar are better.

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » September 11, 2014 8:12am | Report
I wouldn't go as far as saying it's terrible, it's more situational. You're still gaining a lot of damage and general stats/bonuses, although the +25 damage for strength heroes does make it preferable.

There are a few issues with AoM:

1) It's a midgame item, it's not terrible late game, but there are better choices for 1 slot.
2) You need to be able to micro the toggling well to really get the full effect.
3) Lifesteal or other heal sustain is pretty important to make up for the hp drain.

However, if you think you can live with these things then it can be a strong item, I'd say one of the strongest early-midgame items. It can be very useful on agi heroes at this point because of the large HP gain on active ~500hp is not to be sniffed at on squishy hero, especially as with good toggling it's worth "more" than that raw number, and it boosts your damage output quite considerably for the cost.

Generally you want lifesteal and a BKB to go with it fairly rapidly though, and you do also have to be much more focused on winning/surviving midgame than late game if you go for it.

My most common agi pickup for it is probably Slark, as his ult lets you heal effectively and the instant impact/HP gain is pretty useful. Troll it can be useful on depending how you want to play him. I'd even consider it on Medusa but only if the 4 protect 1 plan is obviously failing and there's no way the opposition is going to give you the time you want to farm - Armlet/Soul Booster can be a cheap fix to make you at least somewhat threatening midgame. (40 dam, 25 as, nearly 1000 HP, 400 mana, 5 armour etc)
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fumbles16x » September 11, 2014 1:59pm | Report
It's a DPS item for Strength heroes and more of a survivability item for Agility heroes (with some minor attack speed/damage on top). It has its benefits here and there for the Agility crowd, as Sando showed above, but for Troll specifically, I'd prefer a Helm of the Dominator. You still get armor, plus some lifesteal, and you don't need anymore attack speed. You're the KING of attack speed!

The largest benefit to Armlet for Troll would be the instant HP boost. Troll is quite squishy, and even though his armor isn't bad he still needs a bit of raw HP to make it count.

If the early and midgame aren't going your way, you could consider it to give some short term benefits. You still need lifesteal, at the very least just a Morbid Mask, to cover for the hp drain. But since you want Satanic at some point... I'd just get Helm and then work on BKB from there. That almost always gets me to the late game on track.

Fumbles16x

Notable (4)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved