Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

6.86 Morphling

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » 6.86 Morphling 37 posts - page 1 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » December 19, 2015 7:39am | Report
Hi all, TheSofa here.

With the 6.86 changes to Morphling (Adaptive Srike Base damage increase, Morph rates), will he be a viable pick again?

And would you actually buy Dragon Lance on him to help his short range?

Does the 30 more base HP mean he can shift 2 more to Agility at the start of the game?

Thanks all,
TheSofa

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » December 19, 2015 7:51am | Report
I honestly think he might be viable again. morph strength gain is INSANE right now, it gained 60% morph speed (!!). A hidden buff is actually that morphing also costs way less mana, since the mana cost wasn't increased. Glow green like real men do and still be unkillable <3

But the biggest buff I think is Ethereal Blade and adaptive strike mana cost reduction. His shotgun costs 80 less mana now. This means...that you can finally rush eblade first item after wand/wraith band (yay!). 415 mana to 335 mana, seriously that's a huge change.

And Dragon Lance. Yes it's sick on him in the manta/skadi build.

Only slight downside, Morphling can't go mid anymore. Bottle is literally **** right now, so he can't regen from harass. So safe lane Boots of Travel rush it is, into either straight up eblade or manta/skadi.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dimonychan » December 19, 2015 8:01am | Report
Sorry for being offtopic(again), but does Dragon Lance even make impact? I don't see it as anything other than a placeholder item for heroes that make their progression into Aghs/BKB/SnY and Buttefly is a viable option for them. I.e Luna, Razor, Weaver etc. Morph doesn't go early BKB nor SnY, and Aghs is **** on carry Morphling so Ogre Club is pretty much wasted, and Morphling has Wavefor to initiate to an almost melee range anyway so Dragon Lance makes even less sense on him.

Or is it actually useful and makes an impact compared to, say, Drums that are in the sake price range and can serve similar purpose?

Dimonychan

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » December 19, 2015 8:09am | Report
Morphling weakness as a carry is his range.

There is an item that increases your range.

Morphling buys Dragon Lance.

:)

On the serious side though, it seems like the games you'll buy Dragon Lance (meaning you're hoping for late game and trying to carry) are the games you'll go BKB. And Butterfly isn't half bad on Morphling.

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dimonychan » December 19, 2015 8:13am | Report
Dragon Lance is worth 1875 gold, it does not solve Morph's range issues because it has no place in his inventory. Range problems an ranged heroes are solved with Eye of Skadi, and Morphling has Waveform which is basically a blink aside from it not being instant + Replicate. He has no range issues lategame.

Never said Butterfly is bad on Morphling, it;s just Ogre Club can't be built into anything useful early-midgame.

Dimonychan

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » December 19, 2015 8:16am | Report
Dimonychan wrote:

Sorry for being offtopic(again), but does Dragon Lance even make impact?

On a 350 range AGI carry who is pretty much a glorified melee creep, 130 additional range is a 37% increase in range. So yes it's a big impact.

Morphling, Templar Assassin, Luna, these kind of heroes. It's pretty strong.

Not to mention Enchantress of course.

Dimonychan wrote:

Morph doesn't go early BKB nor SnY

He goes Butterfly and should go late Black King Bar in most games, because BKB is the most value you can get out of a 5th slot or 6th slot (and because BKB is the best rat dota item in the game bar none). Since it's about disassembling an item, you don't need to disassemble it early, only when your inventory is full, around 45 minutes or even after.

BKB on Morph only starts being really good once his right-click is high, so in the late game.

Generally I'm a huge fan of late BKB's on 4/5-slotted carries. 10 seconds of facewrecking. Medusa is also a great example of late BKB hero.

Dimonychan wrote:

[Morphling]] has Wavefor to initiate to an almost melee range anyway so Dragon Lance makes even less sense on him.

But waveform has a cooldown. And when he doesn't have it up he's pretty much a melee creep. With the item he becomes almost Shadow Fiend. That's a big deal.

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dimonychan » December 19, 2015 8:19am | Report
Makes sense, so is it Dragon Lance after Yasha or before?.

Dimonychan

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » December 19, 2015 8:26am | Report
That's what I was going to ask next.

Where does Dragon Lance come into his item progression?

We agree that if he want's to shotgun he goes Boots Drums/Wand Eblade, but carry?

I'm guessing Treads >> Yasha >> Lance >> Skadi >> Manta?
Or Yasha >> Skadi >> Lance >> Manta?

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » December 19, 2015 8:40am | Report
I honestly don't know the order yet. But even if you get it after manta/skadi it's still worth it, there's no rush to get it early. I guess experimentation is in order. I intend to pick Morph quite a bit in this patch, not because he's amazingly strong, but simply because he's finally playable and what a hero.

Oh and because he dumpsters Pudge pickers. Yes, Pudge picker is going to be an insult in this patch, like Troll picker or Lesh picker used to be. Just wait :)

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » December 19, 2015 8:43am | Report
Yeah, I'm going to play a lot of Morphling too. I played him when he was at his weakest, so why not play him now? :D

I'll try some stuff today, I'll let you guys know what's up.

Cheers!
TheSofa

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved